PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity of politicians knows no bounds

Krupski
08-03-2015, 07:04 AM
Just caught a glance of this on the morning news:

In the "Safe" state of New York they banned toy guns (even with the orange muzzle marking), sued several retailers and now only toys that are completely bright colored (barrel, stock and all) are legal.

They had a "very convincing" demonstration where a news guy "snuck up" on cops who were known to be training (outside) and were "armed" with simulated pistols (dumbass was lucky they WERE only training).

The news guy had a black plastic pistol in his waistband (with orange tip) and approached several cops, turned around and pulled out the toy.

All the cops drew their weapons (training pistols thank goodness) and yelled "drop the weapon". A few of them, understandably, actually pulled their triggers, proving how "dangerous" a toy can be.

Then they SPECIFICALLY made it a point to say that "a cop would certainly know not to shoot if he saw a bright florescent yellow and orange gun".

Before the news item was over, my thought was "$1.69 can of florescent orange Rustoleum and a Remington 870 does the trick".

Do they believe that no BAD GUY will think of this?

Sheesh......

(click the quote for the complete article)

NYS reaches settlement with sellers of toy guns By - Associated Press - Monday, August 3, 2015

NEW YORK (AP) - New York has reached a settlement with sellers of toy gun.

State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman tells The New York Times that retailers including Walmart, Sears and Amazon have agreed to keep realistic-looking toy guns off their shelves. He’s set to announce the agreement Monday.

The accords carry collective civil penalties of over $300,000.
(http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/3/nys-reaches-settlement-with-sellers-of-toy-guns/)

ltorlo64
08-03-2015, 12:36 PM
I would bet that most cops would fire based on motions of the person pulling a gun and shape, color will not even register in their minds for about a second after their weapon is unholstered and pointed at the person with the "toy". If the person with the "toy" is lucky, the color will register before the first shot is fired. Given what you said and the brightly colored pistols, AKs, and ARs I have seen I hope the color of the pistol does not change the action of the officer or we will have more dead police officers.

tank_monkey
08-03-2015, 03:09 PM
What's stupid here is that I've had cops draw guns on me for holding a Telescope and tripod on one occasion (on a hilltop watching the Pleiades) and another time a cop pointed a gun at me when I was holding a light stand for a documentary being filmed in San Francisco at night. He was yelling "Put down the rifle" and I was looking around behind me for the 'guy with the rifle' and was wondering where he was.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/YF4AAOSwEeFVS99X/$_35.JPG

It harkens back to the incident in Long Beach where the cops gunned down a black man sitting on a bench at the beach, holding a 'boombox' and they claimed they thought it was a 'sawed off shotgun' and the typical response at the time was for the politicians to call for MORE gun control, except that NO gun was present except those fired by the police officers. :(
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/00/ec/3e/00ec3e749b6bb1f1b9a2756030230901.jpg

The sad thing is that we must be proactive in NOT doing or holding ANYTHING that the cops can think is a weapon. Who knows how twitchy their trigger fingers are on that occasion.

BISHOP
08-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Don't forget the 44 shots at that poor guy holding his wallet. There were entrance wounds in the bottom of his feet. The cops kept reloading.

BISHOP

tank_monkey
08-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Don't forget the 44 shots at that poor guy holding his wallet. There were entrance wounds in the bottom of his feet. The cops kept reloading.

BISHOP

Yep Amadou Diallo. He didnt' speak English that well, and those cops who shot him were part of the Sullivan Law task force, aka the NYC ANTI GUN unit, designed specifically to confiscate guns from everyone , career criminal or not......

Focused Gunfire
08-03-2015, 10:24 PM
Fucking hate this state.

Krupski
08-04-2015, 01:35 AM
Fucking hate this state.

Me too. Me too.

Schuetzenman
08-04-2015, 05:26 AM
Move!

tank_monkey
08-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Move!
Easier said than done.

And for the record, California's own falling 'Red state' members are a result of too many cowards packing up and leaving rather than fighting the enemy. :D I say stay and fight. :D

5.56NATO
08-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Cops might shoot at orange tip gun wielders as felons have painted their muzzles orange to create confusion and gain time in a confrontation with police.

mrkalashnikov
08-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Luckily we don't have these kind of problems here in the happy People's Republik of Illinois. :googoo:

tank_monkey
08-04-2015, 03:15 PM
Cops might shoot at orange tip gun wielders as felons have painted their muzzles orange to create confusion and gain time in a confrontation with police.

BTW< did you know that Commiefornia passed a law making it ILLEGAL to paint your gun in bright fluorescent colors purely because gang bangers were doing that so that they could get a 2-5 second drop on any cop who stopped them..... purportedly.....

tank_monkey
08-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Luckily we don't have these kind of problems here in the happy People's Republik of Illinois. :googoo:

You guys gave the country Obama. I think there is enough shame in Illinois to go around ;)

mrkalashnikov
08-04-2015, 05:22 PM
BTW< did you know that Commiefornia passed a law making it ILLEGAL to paint your gun in bright fluorescent colors purely because gang bangers were doing that so that they could get a 2-5 second drop on any cop who stopped them..... purportedly.....

Well, if there was a Law passed to forbid the shitheads from painting their gats deceitful colors...I'm sure it will end such practice. :smiley_pijp: :crazy:

JTHunter
08-04-2015, 10:47 PM
You guys gave the country Obama. I think there is enough shame in Illinois to go around ;)

NO Sxxx!!
And now "Hot Rod" is appealing his conviction and trying to get out of prison! :dammit:

PROBASCO
08-04-2015, 11:59 PM
fucking unreal

Krupski
08-05-2015, 07:50 AM

Or conversely not fire at someone with a real gun painted florescent orange.

Krupski
08-05-2015, 07:51 AM

Well then of course a criminal won't do it. They always obey the law!

Ignore my previous post.

5.56NATO
08-05-2015, 02:22 PM
NO Sxxx!!
And now "Hot Rod" is appealing his conviction and trying to get out of prison! :dammit:

Blago may have some dirt on 0bama to use as a get out of jail free card.

Gunner1558
08-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Fucking hate this state.

If it wasn't for family in the area, I would have been gone the day after I retired, 10 plus years ago!

Krupski
08-06-2015, 01:28 AM
If it wasn't for family in the area, I would have been gone the day after I retired, 10 plus years ago!

Same here. Over 35 years ago, I promised my father-in-law that I would always look after and take care of his wife (my mother-in-law) when he was gone.

That's all that's keeping me here.

Sounds morbid, but when she goes, so do I (out of NY, never to look back or return).

I also would like to get enough time in with the state to get the full retirement rate (which is about 4-1/2 more years for me).

So, once I'm done with all the things I need to do here, it's buh-bye New York and hello freedom!

JTHunter
08-07-2015, 10:01 PM

Same here. Over 35 years ago, I promised my father-in-law that I would always look after and take care of his wife (my mother-in-law) when he was gone.

That's all that's keeping me here.

Sounds morbid, but when she goes, so do I (out of NY, never to look back or return).

I also would like to get enough time in with the state to get the full retirement rate (which is about 4-1/2 more years for me).

So, once I'm done with all the things I need to do here, it's buh-bye New York and hello freedom!

Ditto!
Think about how much "fun" it is to take care of a retired teacher, having had to teach her to go from a text only Apple IIe to a 98 PC, then 5 years later to XP. This 20+ years retired teacher is also adamant that they won't leave their home until there is a "toe-tag" on their foot.

Is it any wonder I'm going bald?? :dizzy:

imanaknut
08-07-2015, 10:27 PM
I am guessing that with this new rule, all criminals will immediately turn in their toy guns...for the children... DUH!

alismith
08-08-2015, 07:50 AM
To save a lot of headaches, and lives, just ban florescent paints. Problem solved...:thumbsup:

blacksheep
08-08-2015, 11:11 AM

Wasn't that Kenya ?