PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 problems?

dfariswheel
08-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Any one else have problems with Windows 10?

My wife attempted to install it on her HP laptop and when installation was finished, all her USB ports had lost the drivers and the PC was non-functional.
She and I spent over six hours on the phone with Microsoft support with them taking control of the PC.
They were able to restore Windows 7 but couldn't fix the USB problem.

Finally a support tech told her that there was a virus in the drive preventing downloading and installing drivers and they couldn't help.
They said something about a problem with the partition, and said that doing a restore wouldn't help the USB problem.
They suggested we call HP and ask them for help. (We couldn't understand the tech due to the usual strong accent, so we couldn't understand what it was he was saying about the partition problem. After several repeats they basically said Have a Nice Day, bye.)
HP of course will charge her for any help.

Question for the experts:
Considering what Microsoft said, if I do a restore back to factory original, will that remove the virus and restore the USBs??
Or as Micro Soft seemed to be saying, the laptop would come back up with the USB ports still non-functioning???????

We are NOT experts on this but I'd like to get her laptop working correctly again without having to spend $100.

Schuetzenman
08-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Virus huh? Did you have any protection before the Windows 10 download? Loosing USB ports, that's some serious stuff to me at least. I suspect the BIOS has been attacked. Your attempt at a restore probably will not work if that is the case. You may have to flash the BIOS to restore them. I'll admit I'm better at the hardware than software based issues when it comes to a computer. Not certain if that would be the fix or not.

As to my own installation of Windows 10 on my Laptop, no issues other than I lost audio. Had to go down load drivers from the Toshiba (my lap top brand) web site for audio. Also upgraded the graphics drivers to latest versions. There are 13 different snooper utilities that report what you do to Microsoft. You need to go into systems and turn them off otherwise it reports everything you do to them including locations of you and the device.

dfariswheel
08-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Anti-virus and firewall was running.

What is "flash the BIOS"??

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
Never mind, did a Bing search.
I don't think I'll be doing this little trick.

Schuetzenman
08-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Anti-virus and firewall was running.

What is "flash the BIOS"??

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
Never mind, did a Bing search.
I don't think I'll be doing this little trick.
Do you know how to go into your BIOS and look at the drives? Maybe they have become deselected some how?

Krupski
08-04-2015, 01:32 AM
Any one else have problems with Windows 10?

Not me. No problems whatsoever.

I run Ubuntu Linux.

Krupski
08-04-2015, 01:34 AM
We are NOT experts on this but I'd like to get her laptop working correctly again without having to spend $100.

I know how you can get her laptop running better than it ever did.... and it costs $0.

mushroom
08-04-2015, 02:57 AM
Hopefully a Google search can walk you through a solution.. about 2 years ago I upgraded 2 desktops from xp to 7.. when I was done my cd roms didn't work on one.. some usb's didn't work on second one.. Through a google search I found articles that walked me through how to fix both.. I'm sure you will eventually find a thread that can help you.. I just don't know if anyone has had time to correct the problems with 10 yet.. Wish I had better info for you, but I'm not touching 10 till after the bugs are worked out.. or 2020 when support for 7 goes away.. I'm hopeful by then that I can learn more about linux.. Damn that Krupsi!!! HAHAHA

Schuetzenman
08-04-2015, 05:21 AM
I know how you can get her laptop running better than it ever did.... and it costs $0.

Krup ... you're being a smart-ass. You've made two posts that contain zero information but a ton of attitude. :think:

dfariswheel
08-04-2015, 01:07 PM

I'll bite.....How??

I hesitate to start doing things to her PC when I'm no longer any kind of "expert". In the early days of the IBM PC, Dos, and Lotus 1-2-3 I was at least very competent, but not having to keep up I'm no longer any kind of expert on these deeper issues.

Since two Microsoft supervisors couldn't correct it in over six hours, I'm very hesitant to start doing things that might well go bad.
I'm going to recommend to her that we take Microsoft's advice and pay the dollar to HP for help.

I hate doing that when I suspect that If I knew a little more I might be able to correct it, but taking a chance on someone else's laptop is not a good way to have peace in the family.

If anyone has better advise, I'm listening.

sevlex
08-04-2015, 01:24 PM
I think he's talking Linux.

shorthair
08-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Yea it's Linux. My dear departed Uncle was a wiz and he used it.

number6
08-06-2015, 10:34 PM
It seems some brands of computers have a few problems with Win10. I am not convinced the MS Indian was correct about a virus. Too late to ask him "Which virus?" IF you did get one, your excellent AV software should have caught it. You did have a good AV program, with the latest updates, didn't you?

I have a Dell M4500 workstation laptop. I, like most people are having zero problems.
When I updated all my drivers and what-not ("what-not" is a techie term), I got them from Dell. The CS area does a check, according to a special code, and lets me know what needs updating, including the BIOS. Don't let the words, "flash the BIOS" scare you, it is only an installable program for the computer.

I read and followed the instructions to the letter, especially the BIOS update, but it was not a big deal. To get into the computer setup (BIOS), I hit F-12 when it starts to boot. It flashes on the screen for one second, gotta be fast. Yours may have a similar thing. If you get in there, write down the BIOS version. It might say "ver A-14" and the update (for your computer) is "ver A-15b", as an example. Check the other 'pages' to see if you can turn on/off the USB ports. Choose to not save any changes if you're not sure.

Go to the HP site to see if they have a "Support" area for your computer, and see if there's any help for you. I know Dell's support is really good, not sure if HP has support help for you.

Diverging a little bit, but the new MS spyware CAN be turned off, and so can the camera and any other privacy controls. You need the update function so MS can send the fixes to correct their screw-ups.
If you get back to Win7, good for you, it's also a great OS.

Krupski
08-07-2015, 10:37 AM
Krup ... you're being a smart-ass. You've made two posts that contain zero information but a ton of attitude. :think:

It's a hint that nobody HAS to suffer through using Windows. There are other alternatives available that cost less or nothing, that actually work solidly without daily "security patches" and works with any PC without special drivers needed.

The problem is, most people think that Linux is some cryptic, hard to learn, hard to use system that only hackers and super-geeks could ever hope to use. And, that was more-or-less true in it's infancy.

But now it's got a smooth, clean desktop, a wide range of popular applications (like Firefox, Thunderbird, Office, etc... on and on).

And, Linux is in a lot more things than most people know. Most smart phones use Linux "under the hood". Mac OSX is BSD Linux with an "Apple" desktop. Most WI-FI routers run Linux. I could fill several pages with a list of things that run on Linux.

So, I get a little frustrated when every few months I read yet another thread "I upgraded to Windows [whatever] and now [long list of things] doesn't work anymore".

It's like "I bought this cheap POS die-cast Saturday Night special and it keeps jamming. I sent it back, they fixed it and it's got the same problem". Wah, wah wah.... then buy a better pistol for cripes sake!

Besides, not only are Microsoft products overpriced, bloated and flawed, Bill Gates is a flaming liberal who is spending his money (which he got from suckers paying to beta-test Windows) to crusade against gun owners and firearms.

I won't give Microshaft a red cent, and I'll try my best to be sure others don't either. It's a win-win... you get your computer to ACTUALLY WORK and you don't fund anti-gun zealots!

Krupski
08-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Yea it's Linux. My dear departed Uncle was a wiz and he used it.

People who used Linux USED to need to be a "whiz" to make it work and to understand it. That was then, this is now. Linux has grown up a lot since it's beginning.

There are tons of great apps available for it and they all run under one of several different "desktops" (the thing you actually see when you run any OS).

Sure, you still CAN use a command line and compile your own programs from source code if you like that kind of thing, but you don't need to.

You can download Linux for free, install it in under 10 minutes, no "registration" or "license key" required. You can get online, open or write documents (MS Word and Excel compatible), create or edit photos and drawings.... anything.

Probably the one weakness of Linux is that video graphics use the standard OpenGL interface as opposed to DirectX (Microsoft propriatary). And since most PC games use DirectX for their graphics, they won't run in Linux without some kind of "emulator" or "translator".

However, games that are written properly or games that are compiled to use EITHER OpenGL or DirectX do indeed run just fine in Linux.

And, best of all, Linux doesn't "phone home" and tell Bill Gates all there is to know about you..........

sevlex
08-07-2015, 11:07 AM
What flavor of Linux would you recommend for a Linux newb?

I have an old XP pc sitting unused for a few years and would like to experiment.

Krupski
08-08-2015, 02:48 PM
What flavor of Linux would you recommend for a Linux newb?

I have an old XP pc sitting unused for a few years and would like to experiment.

Ubuntu.

Schuetzenman
08-08-2015, 05:21 PM
Windows 10 is seriously flawed. Using Microsoft's replacement for Internet Explorer called Edge it won't play YouTube videos or any others it seems. I hear the sound but see a green screen. Using Google Chrome I see the vids just fine.

Krupski
08-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Windows 10 is seriously flawed. Using Microsoft's replacement for Internet Explorer called Edge it won't play YouTube videos or any others it seems. I hear the sound but see a green screen. Using Google Chrome I see the vids just fine.

Every new release of Windows is flawed and, really, is in a "beta" state. So, Windows users PAY Microsoft to be beta testers, then over the course of months MS releases fixes and patches as reported by the beta testers (um I mean users). Then, when that version of Windows is working rather well, MS releases a new beta version and the cycle of pain begins again.

As far as web browsers go, ask any web developer about Microsoft Internet Explorer (and be ready to pull the phone away from your ear).

There are web standards called "W3C" which all browsers are supposed to conform to (and do). That is, except for MSIE.

Internet Explorer (and I suspect also "Edge") has proprietary features and functions built in that make a web developer's life a living hell.

Web designers have to litter their code with "if MSIE then" conditionals. Even here it's being done:

<!--[if lt IE 8]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css.php?styleid=1&amp;langid=1&amp;d=1407818416&amp;td=ltr&amp;she et=popupmenu-ie.css,vbulletin-ie.css,vbulletin-chrome-ie.css,vbulletin-formcontrols-ie.css,editor-ie.css" />
<![endif]-->

See? This board has to use an alternate style sheet to support MSIE (and that's not the only one.... there are LOTS of them here... and on most other websites).

Web developers would love to say "screw people who use MSIE - they're too stupid to view our web pages anyway", but in reality it would look to the outside world that the web page didn't work for some people and it would just get a bad reputation. So, like it or not web developers need to litter their code with "if MSIE" conditionals.

Oh well, SOMEDAY maybe people will realize that they actually do not have to put up with the pain of using Microsoft products......

l921428x
08-09-2015, 07:26 PM
So what is involved in downloading Ubuntu and how do you proceed? Do I need to have a clear drive or will it overwrite?
I am tired of messing with Windows and I am willing to change. Get me started. my wife is very use to word 13 can I down load it
on to ubuntu? She does not always have a internet connection so she uses word offline Which version 14.04.3 lts or 15.04?
Going to download 14.04 to a disk now. I am also goin to join their forum in a moment.

Krupski
08-10-2015, 08:05 PM
So what is involved in downloading Ubuntu and how do you proceed? Do I need to have a clear drive or will it overwrite?
I am tired of messing with Windows and I am willing to change. Get me started. my wife is very use to word 13 can I down load it
on to ubuntu? She does not always have a internet connection so she uses word offline Which version 14.04.3 lts or 15.04?
Going to download 14.04 to a disk now. I am also goin to join their forum in a moment.

I would suggest 14.04 LTS (LTS = Long Time Support).

You can download the .ISO file (ISO file = CD image) and then either burn yourself a CD or else copy the ISO file to a USB thumb drive and boot from the thumb drive.

When you boot into Ubuntu, you have two choices: (1) Try out Ubuntu or (2) Install Ubuntu.

The "try out" option just runs Ubuntu from the thumb drive or CD and doesn't change anything on your hard drive or computer. Of course, being a temporary "test" session, you also cannot save any files you create.

For example, if you run the "Try Out" version then generate a Word document, when you reboot the document will be gone.

As far as the hard drive itself, you can install Ubuntu on a Windows drive and then dual boot (choose whether to boot Windows or Linux).

Good luck!

abpt1
08-10-2015, 08:58 PM
http://www.securityweek.com/fake-windows-10-upgrade-emails-hide-ransomware

abpt1
08-10-2015, 09:43 PM
Fucking Skynet...smfh.
:tinfoil:

number6
08-11-2015, 01:11 AM
I went and checked, after reading this. I don't really care for IE, and think Edge needs a complete overhaul to make it usable (I hate it). My primary browser is Firefox, but I opened Edge, typed in the 'youtube' address.
Mine works fine. All music videos play just like they do using Firefox. Sorry you're having problems. Obsolete codec maybe, but if it worked before, it should work now.
So far, I have had no issues.

Schuetzenman
08-11-2015, 05:59 AM
I went and checked, after reading this. I don't really care for IE, and think Edge needs a complete overhaul to make it usable (I hate it). My primary browser is Firefox, but I opened Edge, typed in the 'youtube' address.
Mine works fine. All music videos play just like they do using Firefox. Sorry you're having problems. Obsolete codec maybe, but if it worked before, it should work now.
So far, I have had no issues.

It may be this lap top, has an AMD CPU and Graphics Card solution. Not risking it on the desktop, (winblows 10). Half my Steam games won't launch on this laptop now.

abpt1
08-11-2015, 11:19 AM
It may be this lap top, has an AMD CPU and Graphics Card solution. Not risking it on the desktop, (winblows 10). Half my Steam games won't launch on this laptop now.

Flash player and Adobe needs to be updated in firefox . Fck IE

number6
08-11-2015, 11:38 PM

Got this from a friend about the video problem. Hope it will help some people.

NVIDIA problem solved. It's a crappy DRIVER! Try one other than 353.54
==========================
....."I've heard isolated (but legitimate) complaints this week from Windows 10 testers complaining that an updated Nvidia driver was causing havoc with their systems. One such tweet, from a longtime Windows tester, even managed to catch Gabe Aul's attention"

Chris123NT
‏@Chris123NT @GabeAul can you do me a favor? Tell the WU team to stop forcing @nvidia 's broken drivers down our throats, 353.54 is HORRIBLE.

Meanwhile I really like Win 10. It is definitely faster than 8.1 was, a sign that its either better organized or trimmed of superfluous crap. Unlike 8.1 it allowed me to synch my new Asus tablet to my desktop for Google Calendar, then import the data file from the VueMinder freeware calendar I'd been using. I had to resort to VueMinder because when I tried to import my older calendar file under 8.1 Google Calendar refused to read it. I suspect it was a Win 8 problem because a few other things like reading my external drive have suddenly become possible. I guess they cleaned up a lot of areas of 8 that weren't up to the Microsoft Windows specs. And I've got a working scanner, File History and synched calendar, none of which worked under 8.

I'm not sure why 8/8.1 were so cranky. When I first got my current PC with Win 8 loaded it promptly stopped working when I tried to turn off the Norton internet security program it came with in favor of Windows Defender, which was also installed but not a startup program. This reinforces my opinion that Norton sucks as its not the first time a Norton programs shut everything down for me. It took a half hour on the phone with an HP tech to get rid of every little bit of Norton and let the Presario run again.

But the INVIDIA business still needs work, unless you can find an older driver.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/

Krupski
08-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Got this from a friend about the video problem. Hope it will help some people.

Chris123NT
‏@Chris123NT @GabeAul can you do me a favor? Tell the WU team to stop forcing @nvidia 's broken drivers down our throats, 353.54 is HORRIBLE.

I wonder if that driver is also bad for Linux? I'm using 352.30 and it works fine. Now I'm worried.

number6
08-12-2015, 05:39 PM
I wonder if that driver is also bad for Linux? I'm using 352.30 and it works fine. Now I'm worried.
You're probably OK, according to the article.

...... 353.54 is HORRIBLE....
But the INVIDIA business still needs work, unless you can find an older driver.

mushroom
08-18-2015, 02:42 AM
dfariswheel.. is this you?.... http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Recovery/Lost-usb-port-in-laptop/td-p/5174008 ... did you get it fixed? I googled a couple of times and when I saw this I was hoping it meant you got it taken care of. Did you have to pay hp?

coppertales
08-18-2015, 05:20 AM
10 screwed up my Ford truck manual. It says I don't have authorization to open it. I tried reloading the program but no joy. I had to load it on an old computer so I could access the information. I am restoring an old F100....

dfariswheel
08-18-2015, 11:51 AM
dfariswheel.. is this you?.... http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Recovery/Lost-usb-port-in-laptop/td-p/5174008 ... did you get it fixed? I googled a couple of times and when I saw this I was hoping it meant you got it taken care of. Did you have to pay hp?

Yep, that was me.
Help was not real useful, and never got an exact answer to my exact question.
That's an HP help forum and it's free.
You get what you pay for. It took me two separate posts to get help I got. Notice that MOST people get no response or help.

I finally told my wife she might lose some files, which she said it didn't matter, so I used the on-board system recovery to set the laptop back to factory-original.
That fixed the USB problem, but now too many Windows Updates fail to install.
I assume that a virus managed to infect the area the system recovery is in and has corrupted the on-board system recovery software.

I did a lot of reading online on how to correct Update problems, but most of the help was something no one but an expert would attempt.
I tried to download an anti-virus program recommended to correct this, but it refused to download, which I think is a good indication of a virus.
My current plan is to buy a new set of HP System Recovery disks from HP and run that.
I "assume" that that will totally wipe the drive of any virus and correct any problems.
Price is $30 plus shipping, which is still cheaper then HP phone help at at least $60, in which I suspect they'd tell me to buy the HP disks.

Computers are Hell, especially when the technology has passed you by and you're no longer an expert.

mushroom
08-19-2015, 01:59 AM
I may be wrong but I was thinking 10 had its own anti virus in defender.. its possible you have to disable that for another anti virus to get loaded.. Im sure no expert and maybe someone else here can elaborate on it.. Im glad you got the first problem fixed.. I hope the others will fall into place.. also I read MS just dropped more updates on ALL OS's... http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-emergency-patch-for-all-windows-versions/#ftag=YHFb1d24ec?ref=yfp ... Good Luck!!

dfariswheel
08-19-2015, 02:16 PM
We have our own firewall and anti-virus software, so I disable any others so they don't conflict.

I posted again on the HP forum about the non-installing Windows updates and was told that some updates have to go in before others, and that when you have a large number to install after restoring a computer, Windows doesn't send them in correct order.
This out of order condition may cause failures.
I was advised to give it a few days to do automatic updates, and to run manual updates every few days.
This may correct the problem.

I have done some reading about viruses and learned a little about something called "root" invasions that corrupt the op system.
If the op system is corrupted, doing a system restore using the on-board restore system will apparently just re-install the virus.
There's several programs online that are supposed to find and remove these, but again, not being an expert I'm hesitant to attempt it.
HP said that having uncorrupted system restoration disks is a good idea if the drive ever crashes, so I'm going to order a set and try this again if things don't look like they're working correctly.

Also from reading it looks like Windows 10 is causing a lot of problems for people.
This is normal for a new Windows version, but this one sounds worse.

mrkalashnikov
08-19-2015, 02:24 PM
I've been reading up on 10 quite a bit over the last few weeks on various forums. The general consensus seems to be that it's a cluster-f*ck, and to be avoided. Guess I'll stick with 8.1 at this time. Thank you, Bill Gates. :thumbsdown:

5.56NATO
08-19-2015, 03:02 PM
I won't be running 10, too many spywares installed with the os. When 7 is no longer runnable it'll be some form of open source nix for me. Likely freebsd.

Schuetzenman
08-19-2015, 05:24 PM
I've been reading up on 10 quite a bit over the last few weeks on various forums. The general consensus seems to be that it's a cluster-f*ck, and to be avoided. Guess I'll stick with 8.1 at this time. Thank you, Bill Gates. :thumbsdown:
They finally broke the pattern. I used to be 1 good OS and then a pile of shit. Now with 8, 8.1 and 10 they have created 2 consecutive piles o shite!

gunsnetadmin
08-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Good job Krupski on the Linux suggestion. Thats all I run, well not Ubuntu, but Debian, CentOS, Solaris...

dfariswheel:
As far as Windows... if you google, you can find a version of Windows 7 you can download as an ISO, then get DAZ which "registers" Windows and be done with it. When you install Win 7 from scratch, most of the time it finds all hardware and installs all drivers. If not, go to HP's website and download the necessary drivers for your model of HP laptop.

If you want to test the waters of Linux, you can get your Windows 7 laptop fixed, then download Ubuntu (for a newbie its ok), burn it to CD and boot from CD. You can play around with it without installing it. You will literally have no virus issues, spyware or other. If you live in San Antonio or surrounding areas, I'll fix your laptop for free and give you a copy of Ubuntu.

Krupski
08-23-2015, 09:04 PM
10 screwed up my Ford truck manual. It says I don't have authorization to open it. I tried reloading the program but no joy. I had to load it on an old computer so I could access the information. I am restoring an old F100....

What??????????

How in hell can an OPERATING SYSTEM suddenly decide to deny you access to software that isn't even Microsoft (I assume that a Ford truck manual is not a Microsoft product.....)

void windows (void)
{
while (running_windows) {
beat_head_against (wall);
send_money_to (microsoft);
}
fprintf (stdout, "Hurrah! I finally switched to Linux!!!!!\n");
}

Krupski
08-23-2015, 09:09 PM
Good job Krupski on the Linux suggestion. Thats all I run, well not Ubuntu, but Debian, CentOS, Solaris...

Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, etc... are all "linux" under the hood, only with different GUI and different installation/update methods (i.e. apt vs rpm vs pkg, etc...)

As far as I can see, only Solaris is "quite a bit different" (more different than BSD which is under the hood of MacOSX).

Krupski
08-23-2015, 09:15 PM
If you want to test the waters of Linux, you can get your Windows 7 laptop fixed, then download Ubuntu (for a newbie its ok), burn it to CD and boot from CD. You can play around with it without installing it. You will literally have no virus issues, spyware or other. If you live in San Antonio or surrounding areas, I'll fix your laptop for free and give you a copy of Ubuntu.

Actually, the Ubuntu (and Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Debian and related packages) allow you to copy the ISO image to a USB stick OR burn it to a CD. I much prefer installing Linux from a USB drive, and what I do to be sure it can't get corrupted (that is, make it read-only like a CD is), I copy the ISO image to an SD card, then flip the write protect tab, then boot into the SD card to install.

This method doesn't "waste" a CD and it's a lot faster than a CD as well.

The only problem is Windows users don't have any good disk imaging software (other than WinImage) to use to write the ISO to the USB stick.

On the Linux side, all you do is type "dd if=ubuntu.iso of=/dev/sdx" where x is the USB device.

When I have to fix someone's screwed up Windows install, I end up swearing a lot "what? you don't know what "cp" means?" "what?? I can't directly access and repair the disk partitions???" "what???? I can't do ANYTHING????????".

:)

5.56NATO
08-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Here we go;

"Text "Note: Some readers have commented that the original source for the article is of questionably validity. If anyone can confirm or refute the original author's finding with actual data, please let me know in the comments, and I'll update this post accordingly. Some Czech guy did a traffic analysis of data produced by Windows 10, and released his findings the other day. His primary thesis was that Windows 10 acts more like a terminal than an operating system -- because of the extent of the "cloud" integration, a large portion of the OS functions are almost dependent on remote (Microsoft's) servers. The amount of collected information, even with strict privacy settings, is quite alarming.

Information transmitted: All text typed on the keyboard is stored in temporary files, and sent (once per 30 mins) to:
oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.
nsatc.net pre.footprintpredict.com
reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com

There isn't a clear purpose for this, considering there there's no autocorrect/prediction anywhere in the OS (There is autocorrect in certain text fields, but the supposed purpose for transmitting these keystrokes is to improve autocorrect across devices. Whether a full keylog is necessary for this (as opposed to just corrections) is questionable. Furthermore, this appears to still occur even if the user is not signed in to a Microsoft account, eliminating the "across devices" benefit. Perhaps there is a global autocorrect dictionary that benefits all users, but the privacy implications of an un-disableable always-on keylogger outweigh these potential benefits.). The implications of this are significant: because this is an OS-level keylogger, all the data you're trying to transmit securely is now sitting on some MS server. This includes passwords and encrypted chats. This also includes the on-screen keyboard, so there is no way to authenticate to a website without MS also getting your password. "
http://www.disclose.tv/news/a_terrifying_traffic_analysis_of_windows_10/121544

"Here's how to Block Windows 10 "Spying"
I have gathered from different sources the sites that Windows 10 use to send informations collected from your computer.
You just need to go into: Web Protection -> Web Filtering -> Policies -> Default content filter action
Under Websites -> Block Theses Websites Import this list :"
https://www.astaro.org/gateway-products/web-protection-web-filtering-application-visibility-control/58583-heres-how-block-windows-10-spying.html

Hobe Sound AK
08-27-2015, 04:59 PM
I won't be running 10, too many spywares installed with the os. When 7 is no longer runnable it'll be some form of open source nix for me. Likely freebsd.
What is and Open Source Nix? I don't want to go past Windows 7 neither. My Dad has 8 and it is a mess! Is Apple better?

5.56NATO
08-27-2015, 05:58 PM
What is and Open Source Nix? I don't want to go past Windows 7 neither. My Dad has 8 and it is a mess! Is Apple better?

As I recall, apple is based on freebsd;
https://www.freebsd.org/

Freebsd and the various Linuxes are open source.

As apple is a commercial os, I take it as compromised as windows is.

Other nixes are;
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lycoris (my fav outside of freebsd)
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/downloads/index.html (another commercial os)
https://www.gentoo.org/ (a great Linux os)

These are more or less user friendly to various degrees.

Krupski
08-27-2015, 11:20 PM
"Here's how to Block Windows 10 "Spying"

Here ya go......

"Here's how to Block Windows 10 "Spying" (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop)

Warning: If you click the link, Bill Gates may get pissed off at you and send you a trial editiion of Windows 11.

5.56NATO
08-28-2015, 03:36 PM
Also, to address what open source means, it more or less means all the low level language code needed to compile an executable program is evident. You take source code, compile it with a compiler wich tweaks things to make it more efficient and turns it from lower level code such as machine code and compile it into your exe. M$ does not release source code so no one really knows what all is in their os or apps. With open source, the code is all right there for anyone to look at, nothing can be hidden.

The nsa, oddly enough, has a fav open source linux distro;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux

coppertales
08-28-2015, 04:34 PM
I have no idea. I get a popup that says I don't have authority to view this or the program is corrupted. I didn't reload the file on another computer because I cannot find the disc to fix a problem on it first. At least I have a Chilton manual to get me by. The truck is all fixed now...