PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between an Arsenal and a Collection

ltorlo64
09-09-2015, 06:56 AM
I just checked the definition of arsenal and one of them is a "collection of weapons". I think that is unrealistically broad. What do you guys think is the difference between an arsenal and a collection? To me an arsenal would be keeping multiples of the same kind of weapon, not different variants but the same exact thing. A collection would be different weapons, no matter the number, that are related but different. The relationship could be broad (ie just firearms) or specific (AKs or AR, or specific manufacturers). Does this make sense. I want to have something I can use next time my wife accuses me of having an arsenal.

cevulirn
09-09-2015, 07:15 AM
Thought weapons were also made at an arsenal... though the definition has drifted over time.

rci2950
09-09-2015, 07:55 AM
To a liberal more then one firearm is an "arsenal" of weapons. More then 5 rounds of ammo is considered a "stockpile". All semi automatics are "Assault Weapons" and bolt aactions are "Sniper Rifles"

now you know.

Richard Simmons
09-09-2015, 08:01 AM
Arsenal is a military term. Since I am no longer a member of the armed forces I can't have an "arsenal" any more than a garage full of cars is my motor pool.

ltorlo64
09-09-2015, 08:05 AM
Arsenal is a military term. Since I am no longer a member of the armed forces I can't have an "arsenal" any more than a garage full of cars is my motor pool.

That is a good way to look at it. I like it, thanks.

ltorlo64
09-09-2015, 08:06 AM
Thought weapons were also made at an arsenal... though the definition has drifted over time.

You are correct, this is one of the definitions, but there are a couple of others as well.

dfariswheel
09-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Technically an arsenal is a place where arms are manufactured.
A armory is a place were weapons are stored.

That's why we have National Guard armories and not NG arsenals.

Pikeman
09-09-2015, 02:48 PM
From what I have seen in the news. An arsenal is what your collection morphs into after you get finger printed and photographed.

N/A
09-09-2015, 04:26 PM

You are still a member of the militia, so yes, you could have an arsenal of weapons stored in your armory.

alismith
09-09-2015, 05:42 PM
From what I have seen in the news. An arsenal is what your collection morphs into after you get finger printed and photographed.

Yup. It makes no difference what the true definition is, the media will call whatever firearms you own an arsenal if it promotes their agenda of making you look like some kind of dangerous gun nut who should have never been allowed to own that many guns in the first place.

tank_monkey
09-09-2015, 06:05 PM
Yup. It makes no difference what the true definition is, the media will call whatever firearms you own an arsenal if it promotes their agenda of making you look like some kind of dangerous gun nut who should have never been allowed to own that many guns in the first place.

THIS...... +1

The media are fuck tards that will have their panties twisted if they see more than a couple of guns, PERIOD. The problem though is that POLICE SPOKESMEN are also some of the biggest publicity WHORES out there. I've seen cop talking on TV after raiding some guy's house talking about the 'terrifying arsenal' they had and it was something like half a dozen long guns and a few handguns.

Schuetzenman
09-09-2015, 06:43 PM

This is along my line of thought. An Arsenal is a massive amount of weapons maintained by a Government or Agency of a Government. Private individuals have collections regardless of diversity of the type of arms collected.

Schuetzenman
09-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Technically an arsenal is a place where arms are manufactured.
A armory is a place were weapons are stored.

That's why we have National Guard armories and not NG arsenals.

Now that I read your post I agree with your definition. An Arsenal manufactures, and Armory is a storage point.

Krupski
09-09-2015, 09:02 PM
I just checked the definition of arsenal and one of them is a "collection of weapons". I think that is unrealistically broad. What do you guys think is the difference between an arsenal and a collection? To me an arsenal would be keeping multiples of the same kind of weapon, not different variants but the same exact thing. A collection would be different weapons, no matter the number, that are related but different. The relationship could be broad (ie just firearms) or specific (AKs or AR, or specific manufacturers). Does this make sense. I want to have something I can use next time my wife accuses me of having an arsenal.

An "arsenal" is a place where weapons for a group of people (typically military) are manufactured.

These weapons are then stored in an armory.

Neither term has any relation to a private collection of firearms and/or ammo, regardless of the size.

N/A
09-09-2015, 10:14 PM
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/arsenal

Arsenal Can be a place that manufactures weapons, such as the Frankfort Arsenal...or an inventory of weapons, such as the US arsenal of nuclear weapons.

The word does not denote a size limit, nor does it denote ownership.
An individual could own an arsenal.

ltorlo64
09-10-2015, 04:26 AM
N/A used a dictionary (thanks) to see what the definition was. I looked at three dictionaries (Merriam-Webster, Oxford, and Dictionary.com) and all gave the same definition:

1. a place of storage or a magazine containing arms and military equipment for land or naval service.
2. a government establishment where military equipment or munitions are manufactured.
3. a collection or supply of weapons or munitions.

While a place where the government manufactures weapons is listed, so is a collection and a place for the military to store weapons. I still think Richard's answer is best as most people associate an arsenal with the military. However, as N/A points out, it is not technically wrong (though it purposely paints a negative picture) to call a personal collection an arsenal.

The reason I think the big difference is duplication is that all military arsenals, while they will have different kinds of weapons, will have multiple duplicates of the same weapon as well. A collection will generally only have one type of each kind of weapons, for example a Russian AK, a Yugo, a CHICOM, all the same rifle but different variants. An arsenal would have 5 Russian AKs that all look exactly the same. Does this make sense?

5.56NATO
09-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Or you could call it the room of magic wonder.

ltorlo64
09-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Or you could call it the room of magic wonder.

I like it!

N/A
09-10-2015, 06:15 PM
Maybe you ought to think about it in terms of what the purpose of said inventory is.
An arsenal contains weapons intended to be used in physical conflicts.
A collection contains weapons intended for depicting different varieties of a weapon or weapons, or for the personal pleasure/use of the owner.

As many on here state the main reason to own weapons is the Second Amendment, and their willingness to use them to uphold the Constitution...then many of us and others do own an arsenal.

JTHunter
09-10-2015, 11:38 PM
The Webster's New World dictionary (copyright 1988) has two definitions.

1. A place for making or storing weapons or other munitions;
2. A store or collection [an arsenal of facts used in a debate].

By whatever definition, libs or these, I'm "persona non grata"!! Puts me in good company! :thumbsup: