PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Surplus 5.45 mags?

Aggressive Perfector
09-09-2015, 10:16 PM
I can't seem to find any for less than $20 apiece. I really hate to stockpile Crapco mags due to the lack of steel locking lugs, but dammit Can't find any steel 5.45 mags, or bakelite/ polymer mags w/ steel lugs for cheap anywhere! I'm so used to finding steel 7.62x39 mags at $10-$15 apiece that I never thought 74 mags would be any different!

FunkyPertwee
09-09-2015, 11:17 PM
This is one of the major downsides to the '74 platform, and I'm really sorry to hear you were unaware of this situation. There is nothing to do but save you pennies and buy $20 mags. I have no idea how much the tapcos run, but I'd stick with surplus unless its a huge discount.

Aggressive Perfector
09-09-2015, 11:35 PM
I've found them as low as $10. Well this sucks, affordable rifles, affordable ammo, high priced mags. I'll probably buy some more Tapco mags for now, just to have a bunch of them, and steadily add surplus mags as I go. Hell, mags are supposed to be expendable anyways, right?

FunkyPertwee
09-09-2015, 11:38 PM
I've found them as low as $10. Well this sucks, affordable rifles, affordable ammo, high priced mags. I'll probably buy some more Tapco mags for now, just to have a bunch of them, and steadily add surplus mags as I go. Hell, mags are supposed to be expendable anyways, right?

From what I've seen, the tapcos work fine, their just not very durable and will break if abused or dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfMgrofafdc

FunkyPertwee
09-09-2015, 11:56 PM
BTW, what do you think of this "AK-74"?

No mag availability issues with this one.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/zastava-pap-m90np-5-56x45mm-rifle-with-ar15-magazine-adapter-detail.html?Itemid=0

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/m90np%20(13%20of%2019).jpg

Aggressive Perfector
09-10-2015, 03:20 AM
You really got a hard on for Yugo/ Serbian AK's don't you? lol I bet it runs just fine, and would be nice in the sense of cheap and common mags, but I really like the ballistics of the 7n6 round, and AK74 parts in 5.45 are going to be cheaper/ easier to find, even for a Tantal (which could be converted to standard '74 configuration) than the generally non interchangeable 5.56 ak parts.

As to the Tapco mags, it's not so much that they are really fragile, so much as if you drop your rifle on the inserted mag, bust the locking lugs off the magazine and being short a mag is a real possibility. I have heard that they are a little inferior to Magpul's polymer AK mags in terms of durability however, and that's taking Magpul's introduction of steel locking lugs out of the equation. However, the 2 Tapco mags I use as range mags in my WASR have worked flawlessly, but they seem to be easier to insert incorrectly than my steel and Tula bakelite mags. Perhaps the polymer locking lugs have worn too much?

Schuetzenman
09-10-2015, 06:06 AM
No, there are no cheap AK 74 magazines. OTOH when you get one it will last probably forever vs. a Tapco. Better to purchase 2 good ones vs. 4 shitty ones is my 2 cents on it.

Aggressive Perfector
09-10-2015, 09:38 PM
The plan for the Tapco mags is to have a bulk of them for a just in case shit happens sooner than I can get my hands on a fair supply of surplus. A short term supplement rather than long term use.

gunny100
07-14-2019, 09:20 PM
I can't seem to find any for less than $20 apiece. I really hate to stockpile Crapco mags due to the lack of steel locking lugs, but dammit Can't find any steel 5.45 mags, or bakelite/ polymer mags w/ steel lugs for cheap anywhere! I'm so used to finding steel 7.62x39 mags at $10-$15 apiece that I never thought 74 mags would be any different!

try www.centuryarms.com
sarcoinc.com
aim surplus
sgammo