PDA

View Full Version : Used vehicle prices

skorpion
09-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Going to be replacing my daily driver Jeep Cherokee that has over 401,000 miles on it next year and have been pricing some used vehicles (mostly Jeeps and 3/4T trucks). I have noticed that the used vehicle market must be hot right now because it's difficult to find anything with less than 100k miles unless the asking price is 20K or more. What gives? I know 0bongo's Cash for Clunkers put a big dent in the affordable used car market, but this is nuts!

Dan Morris
09-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Wrong time of year to price 4X4's, they are primo in fall and hunting seasons.....try Apr/May. If you got 400K out of the Cherokee, stuff it and put it on the wall! I'd look in local adds from individual seller.
Dan

l921428x
09-10-2015, 03:37 PM
You are right about CfC, it did was it was supposed to do. I agree with Dan on this, check local and just drive around and look. Some mom or pop may have one
sitting on the side of the house or outback, just stop and ask all they can say is yes or no.

davepool
09-10-2015, 06:19 PM
Going to be replacing my daily driver Jeep Cherokee that has over 401,000 miles on it next year and have been pricing some used vehicles (mostly Jeeps and 3/4T trucks). I have noticed that the used vehicle market must be hot right now because it's difficult to find anything with less than 100k miles unless the asking price is 20K or more. What gives? I know 0bongo's Cash for Clunkers put a big dent in the affordable used car market, but this is nuts!

401 thousand miles? Damn partner go get another one of those, best i've ever done is 225 on a toyota tacoma

BISHOP
09-10-2015, 08:40 PM
I've got over 235K on my 6cyl Tacoma and it still feels and sounds strong.

First there was cash for clunkers and that got affordable old cars off the streets.
Than Obama destroyed jobs and the economy so that nobody can afford a new vehicle so used cars are going for a premium.

My father in law is being "pestered" by the local dealership to use his minivan as a trade-in towards a new minivan.
He will get a new vehicle and his payments will be exactly the same and the dealership gets a used car to sell at a premium. Win- win for everybody.

BISHOP

Gunner1558
09-10-2015, 10:20 PM
On my 4th Ford Ranger 4x4, well over 200,000 on all of them!

Not sure about their big brothers, but I refuse to buy Government Motors products, ever again!

Aggressive Perfector
09-10-2015, 11:15 PM
I got a truck for sale. It's a 2wd Ram 1500 though.

skorpion
09-11-2015, 09:24 AM
I may have to to just keep my eyes peeled for a deal. I few years ago I bought a nice Wrangler Unlimited with 73K miles for $12,000, so I guess all hope is not lost. If it wasn't for the rust popping up everywhere, I'd keep the Cherokee for another few years. I do not feel like constantly replacing body parts and chasing rust, though.

I don't think I will have any trouble selling it when the time comes. Over the years I've had many people come up to me and offer to buy it right then and there!

http://i62.tinypic.com/dpu5n9.jpg

1 Patriot-of-many
09-11-2015, 11:12 AM
401 thousand miles? Damn partner go get another one of those, best i've ever done is 225 on a toyota tacomaI'm at 220K with a Mercury 4 banger Mistake.

1 Patriot-of-many
09-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Going to be replacing my daily driver Jeep Cherokee that has over 401,000 miles on it next year and have been pricing some used vehicles (mostly Jeeps and 3/4T trucks). I have noticed that the used vehicle market must be hot right now because it's difficult to find anything with less than 100k miles unless the asking price is 20K or more. What gives? I know 0bongo's Cash for Clunkers put a big dent in the affordable used car market, but this is nuts!Congrats! 400K is awesome. Did you use Amsoil?

skorpion
09-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Congrats! 400K is awesome. Did you use Amsoil?
I use Pennzoil for gas engines and Shell for diesel.

number6
09-13-2015, 02:23 PM
I've got a '94 Grand Cherokee w/ a bit over 232,000 on it. Runs good, but a bit weaker. Jeep owning must be like a cult, you know it's bad, but you can't get away from it.
I really need to get serious about getting something newer, the GC has rust popping up and leaks water when it rains. Can't locate the leak.
And yes, prices are stupid high, but hopefully, something will turn up.

Ruskiegunlover
09-13-2015, 03:47 PM
Where did you find that trailor? My wife and I both drive 2000Jeep Cherokee 4 doors. Hers is a 115,000 white 4wd, mine is a 2wd 140,000 4 door silver. Mine has a few hail dents, and needs some front end work as it pulls to the left a bit. But both are running strong. Both 4.0 auto's. When we pay off my 13 F150 4 door in about a year, the wife will get a new vehicle (as in brand new) and we will sell one of them off. Not sure which we will keep, but it will become my daily. Trying to keep the miles off of my truck. Taken the truck to utah and colorado, table rock lake countless times. Put 18 grand a year on it for the first two years. Just shy of 36 thousand on it already, want to slow it down a bit.

My silver has an awesome steroe though. Sub in the back, amp, sounds like a theatre. Wife insists we only have three vehicles, but says whichever one we sell when she gets her new car I get to keep the money and put it into my gun collection. Awesome wife. Just hope we still have ak's and ammo available in 2 years.

skorpion
09-14-2015, 09:45 AM
I've got a '94 Grand Cherokee w/ a bit over 232,000 on it. Runs good, but a bit weaker. Jeep owning must be like a cult, you know it's bad, but you can't get away from it.
I really need to get serious about getting something newer, the GC has rust popping up and leaks water when it rains. Can't locate the leak.
And yes, prices are stupid high, but hopefully, something will turn up.Check the weatherstripping in the rear hatch and rear doors - it shrinks with age and allows water to creep in. My Cherokee collects rain water in the cargo area and the rear floor - lucky for me I ripped the carpet out years ago and bed-lined the interior or else it would smell musty.

Where did you find that trailor? My wife and I both drive 2000Jeep Cherokee 4 doors. Hers is a 115,000 white 4wd, mine is a 2wd 140,000 4 door silver. Mine has a few hail dents, and needs some front end work as it pulls to the left a bit. But both are running strong. Both 4.0 auto's. When we pay off my 13 F150 4 door in about a year, the wife will get a new vehicle (as in brand new) and we will sell one of them off. Not sure which we will keep, but it will become my daily. Trying to keep the miles off of my truck. Taken the truck to utah and colorado, table rock lake countless times. Put 18 grand a year on it for the first two years. Just shy of 36 thousand on it already, want to slow it down a bit.

My silver has an awesome steroe though. Sub in the back, amp, sounds like a theatre. Wife insists we only have three vehicles, but says whichever one we sell when she gets her new car I get to keep the money and put it into my gun collection. Awesome wife. Just hope we still have ak's and ammo available in 2 years.
Nice, your Cherokees are just now breaking-in. 112K is super low miles for a Cherokee these days.

The trailer was made by Trailex here in Ohio. I do not believe they make this model any more. It's simply a tag-along type enclosed trailer with minor modifications: I flipped the axle to reconfigure the suspension to spring-over-axle, which lifted it about 4-5". I then put bigger tires on it. It goes anywhere the Jeep goes all while hauling camping gear.

coppertales
09-14-2015, 12:03 PM
There are a zillion used car lots around here, DFW. Try Auto Trader and Ebay. You never know. I found my 95 F150 in auto trader on line 15 years ago. Pick out a few models you are considering and look them up in NADA and Kelly's blue book to get an idea of what they are going for price range wise. Good luck...