PDA

View Full Version : Pissed with windows 10.

coppertales
09-15-2015, 08:10 PM
Like an idiot, I loaded windows 10 on my computer. Now, I cannot access anything that works off a CD. No Ford truck manual, no flight simulator. I keep getting the pop up saying "log in with administrator privileges" whatever that means. Or the pop up says program not compatable....Looks like I am going to have to dig out my old computer with XP loaded. Any help out there? Thanks...

Aggressive Perfector
09-15-2015, 08:48 PM
I'm technologically impaired. I suggest going back to your previous OS. From what I hear you have 30 days to do so.

coppertales
09-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Great, how do I do that?

Aggressive Perfector
09-15-2015, 09:14 PM
*Does a quick google search*
Ah, here it is! :tongue:
http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

l921428x
09-15-2015, 11:14 PM
That is why I loaded Win 10 on a separate hard drive. I think today I will turn Catana on.

number6
09-16-2015, 12:47 AM
Man, I'm amazed at hearing these problems. Win 10 is Win 7 on steroids. I haven't had any issues since setting up Win 10 on my Dell 4500 Workstation.

OK to the problem at hand. It says " "log in with administrator privileges". That's when you're on a network and you set up the computer to Log On with a password when it's started. Do you 'Log On'? If you do, and I have no idea how you set your computer up, try this.

Go to Control Panel.
Click on 'User Accounts'.
Go to 'Change Your Account Type'.

You'll see, 'Change your account type'.
Make sure your user name is marked: 'Administrator'.

Reboot (if needed) and try again with CDs.

Alternative method: If you use the networking method and use a password to access your computer, locate the place that allows you to "Log On as a Different User".
I'm going by old memory, since I haven't used the Log On feature for my personal computer for 8 years.

Anyway, if that's available, choose it.
Log on with the user name: "administrator".
Go to the 'password' box, but just hit "Enter", since you haven't put in a password for the Administrator account.
Now you are logged on as the Administrator.
Try your CDs.
This method may or may not work on Win 10.

If none of this applies to you & your computer, then I have run out of ideas.

If you have no joy with the above, and wish to go back to your obsolete OS. Go to Control Panel.
Locate and click on: "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)"
That should get you back to the old system, BUT it supposed to only work for 30 days since you installed Win 10.

Schuetzenman
09-16-2015, 05:53 AM
Despite the issues I had, I'm going to stick with 10. I haven't had a problem with my disc drive not reading stuff. On all the Steam based games that wouldn't work after 10 was installed I found out I had to remove them then reload them. Then they launch as they should and work correctly.

coppertales
09-18-2015, 06:50 AM
The problem now is I cannot fine "control panel". It is somewhere else now and probably under a new name. I think I am past the 30 days now. I looked for the original disc that came with the computer but the wife had cleaned out the drawer where they are kept and now reside in the black hole of my house. I think I will just unplug this computer and install my old one with XP on it. I really wanted to use it for simulator only but with this computer screwed up with 10, I just don't know where to go unless I take it somewhere to have fixed. The last two times I did that, the computer came back with blue screen. When I complained, I was told you brought it in that way. bummer...

Schuetzenman
09-18-2015, 07:04 AM
The problem now is I cannot fine "control panel". It is somewhere else now and probably under a new name. I think I am past the 30 days now. I looked for the original disc that came with the computer but the wife had cleaned out the drawer where they are kept and now reside in the black hole of my house. I think I will just unplug this computer and install my old one with XP on it. I really wanted to use it for simulator only but with this computer screwed up with 10, I just don't know where to go unless I take it somewhere to have fixed. The last two times I did that, the computer came back with blue screen. When I complained, I was told you brought it in that way. bummer...

See the little white Windows Flag thing in the bottom left corner of the screen. When you click on that a Start Screen pops up. Look for the word Settings, this is the equivallent of Control Panel. I know they can be boring but You Tube does have a lot of tutorial vids on Windows 10. Check them out for knowledge.

number6
09-18-2015, 09:38 PM
See the little white Windows Flag thing in the bottom left corner of the screen. When you click on that a Start Screen pops up. Look for the word Settings, this is the equivallent of Control Panel. I know they can be boring but You Tube does have a lot of tutorial vids on Windows 10. Check them out for knowledge.
Oddly enough, on my desktop, I have a little blue icon (w/a bit of orange color in it) that specifically says "Control Panel". The items in are just like tho old Control Panel.

The "Settings" choice doesn't seem to have the information I wrote about. Since it was on my Desktop, I assumed it was on everybody's Desktop. Is it? Looks similar like this.
http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/2012-10-22_18-54-10.png

OK, if you don't (finally found the link), Right click on the White Windows Flag at the lower left screen.
A menu will open with Control Panel in it. Click on Control Panel.

http://solverbase.com/images/7/76/Windows-10-Open-Control-Panel.png

Schuetzenman
09-19-2015, 09:01 AM
I don't have it on mine. I have the folder in the bracket.

number6
09-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Damn, spent a long time with a reply & hit the wrong button, and lost it. Starting over.

I don't have it on mine. I have the folder in the bracket.
Folder in the bracket?

Using the Right Click on the Windows icon gets everyone (and coppertales) to the Control Panel, right?
I don't know why I had the CP icon on my desktop, probably something with my pre-conversion setup, I guess.
Control Panel is handy, at least for me, when I want to check or adjust things.
As for coppertales CD problems, there is probably a work-around, but I don't have them, so keep working on it. I installed a photo editor I like from a disk I had from Windows 98. Win 10 doesn't like it, but it works and that's all I care about.

Another way is to use the "Run" command.
On the keyboard, hold down the Windows key and press the "R" key.
The Run Command window will pop up.
In the box, type the words, control panel then click on 'OK' or press the 'Enter' key.
The Control Panel will open.

None of this stuff may help coppertales, but it's an easy fix and worth a try.

number6
09-21-2015, 11:40 AM
Add to thread.
Coppertales, it would be nice to let us know how things are working out with your computer problem, and what you decided to do.

Krupski
09-21-2015, 01:31 PM
Forgive me for quietly snickering in the background......

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Vl69ZJKLL.jpg

coppertales
09-21-2015, 04:16 PM
I right clicked on the icon at the bottom left of the screen and the list came up with control panel on it. When I look to see if I am listed as the admin, it says I am. But, when I try to run anything from the CD, it says I need to sign in as the admin. I am already the admin. I uninstalled CFS2 and reloaded it. When I get the play prompt, all I get is some page listing what is on the CD. I clicked on everything on the page and nothing will allow me to run the simulator. Seeing the instruction book and disc that came with the computer are no where to be found, I am going to unplug this computer and hook up my old computer with XP on it. Windows 10 is the biggest piece of crap I have ever experienced with a computer. Another thing, I cannot print anything from documents or pictures. Alot of the pictures I had loaded in documents are gone.

number6
09-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Well, sorry to hear that. Can't understand pics & documents 'disappearing'.
You can always take a look to see if reverting back to Win7 is available, it could be.
Nothing wrong with Win7 (until they stop supporting it). I retired from computer stuff back in 2007 or so, I tried to help you, but I haven't had a need to be on top of the latest data.
Maybe someone else can chime in to help you that has kept up with the tech finer points, that isn't a troll.

Schuetzenman
09-21-2015, 06:07 PM
All my docs and photos stayed after 10 install but they folders changed. I hear there are missing drivers from Windows 10 for CD drives. Something I find odd is that Optical Disk Drives like a CD or DVD even Blue Ray are dissappearing from computer designs.