PDA

View Full Version : My Lame claim to fame.

El Duce
10-10-2015, 04:42 AM
http://www.westword.com/music/bob-rob-medina-describes-the-80s-denver-punk-scene-7220004

I lived in Colorado during the 80's and was heavily into the local music scene back then. I played in various bands of the time. None that really amounted to anything, one did, and is still talked about today. But in this book I know most of the bands on the front cover of the book. Plus pretty much everyone mentioned in the article. A friend of mine sent me the link about the book. Cool thing. Right on the cover Next to the Skull on the right. Signal 30. That was a band that I played with in High School. I will be buying the book.

Schuetzenman
10-10-2015, 07:51 AM
Not everybody can say that. :D

ltorlo64
10-10-2015, 03:20 PM
That is pretty cool. At least you are in a book. I have sang the National Anthem at about 15 Mariners games. I doubt that will ever be mentioned in a book!

What did you do in the bands?

El Duce
10-10-2015, 04:16 PM
I was a drummer. Another band that I played with about ten years ago re re-released a two disc set. I am on four of the songs. There is an old video on youtube with me on the drums. It is actually pretty funny. I would post it, but (even though most of you know me by name here) it does have my full name at the end of the video.

Altarboy
10-11-2015, 01:52 AM
That's cool.

1 Patriot-of-many
10-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Your claim to fame is better than 90% here.

recon
10-12-2015, 09:33 AM
When I was in the Army back in the 80's we got the first of the M249 SAW weapons. SOF did a piece on it and my group was in the Solider of Fortune magazine.

Altarboy
10-12-2015, 03:45 PM
When I was in the Army back in the 80's we got the first of the M249 SAW weapons. SOF did a piece on it and my group was in the Solider of Fortune magazine.

That's also cool.

Aggressive Perfector
10-13-2015, 01:43 AM
Beats my non-existant one. :wink:

El Duce
11-23-2015, 06:56 PM
Got my book today. I haven't begun to read through it. There is more than one band that I was a member in mentioned in the book. I am not mentioned by name. But, I would say that I know 23-30% of the people in the book. The bands that I shared gigs with etc. Can't wait to read the whole thing.

studmuffin
11-23-2015, 10:56 PM
I once farted in an elevator that Ted Kennedy was known to use in Boston. I don't know to this day if he ever smelled my fart.

My mom was on a plane in DC that was delayed from leaving the gate for over and hour. Suddenly a big balloon headed figure gets on the plane, makes it a point to look down the isle and then sits down. Yup, it was Ted Kennedy letting everyone know he just got on the plane and that was why the flight had been delayed so long, so he could hitch a ride at the last minute.

Is that good enough?

Sorry no band stuff. I cannot play a shovel never mind and instrument.

Well done el duce. I am impressed and happy for you with your brush(s) with immortality ;-)

El Duce
11-24-2015, 06:43 AM
Well, I breezed through it, and there are many things that I was involved with mentioned in the book. At the end there is a flow chart of the Denver bands and who played in what. So, yes my name is in there. Though it is mis-spelled. Kids thought that it was cool though.

Gunner1558
11-24-2015, 04:07 PM
I was in a training movie filmed when I was in the Army, and I was in an article in Motorcycle Magazine, complete with photos, way back when I was racing.
Small potatoes, but the only claims I have!
No, the Army thing had nothing to do with VD!

O.S.O.K.
11-24-2015, 04:13 PM
I uh, um... well, nothing. El Duce, can I have your autograph? :)

studmuffin
11-25-2015, 07:11 PM
I remember some local comedians doing the local clubs in new England. They had names like Bill Burr and Dane Cook and really sucked back then. I can remember Bill burr being a nervous wreck when he started.

Today they are famous comedians worth millions. Who would have thunked back in the early 90's?