PDA

View Full Version : Weird Jaw Pain? Dental problem?

swampdragon
10-14-2010, 06:59 PM
For the last 2 or 3 days, my jaw has been really hurting.
But just on the left side only.
It feels like I got punched in the face just below my left ear.
It pretty much just came out of nowhere.

If I open my mouth too wide, like yawning or trying to eat, it hurts even worse.
Inside my mouth, my lower jaw is fine. It doesn't hurt at all.
It's the upper part, behind my last molar and into the joint.
The gum area there is tender too when I try to bite down on food.

My left ear feels "slightly" clogged or something.
Not badly.
Just a little. Like I have a small cotton ball in there or something.
Sound is muffled just every so slightly, but not that much.

My throat does not hurt at all.
My glands are not swollen.
I don't feel sick or anything.
My sinuses are not clogged.
I feel fine other than this.

I'm in my 40's now and still don't have any wisdom teeth.
Never had any.
A dentist one time said something about evolution and genetic mutations and some technical stuff I didn't understand.
Then he said to consider myself lucky.
So I never checked into it any farther after that.

So is this a tooth problem, a jaw problem, something else completely?
Any ideas?

TEN-32
10-14-2010, 07:04 PM
TMJ? Maybe Mark Ducati will pop in...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporomandibular_joint_disorder

swampdragon
10-14-2010, 07:06 PM
TMJ? Maybe Mark Ducati will pop in...

What's TMJ?
Never mind.
I guess I can look it up.

TEN-32
10-14-2010, 07:09 PM
What's TMJ?
Never mind.
I guess I can look it up.

I added a link.

swampdragon
10-14-2010, 07:24 PM
I added a link.

I don't have all those symptoms, but yep, that's really close.

arcangel
10-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Wisdom tooth?

swampdragon
10-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Wisdom tooth?

Trying to come in after all this time?
I dunno?

Arnulf
10-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Mebbe your old lady socked you in the jaw when you was sleeping one off? or mebbe your getting lockjaw?

old Grump
10-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Didn't get mine till I was nearly 30, they come on their own schedule. Your problem is most likely just the meanness coming out of you, this is gonna hurt like a sumbitch till you get rid of it. Enjoy. :tooth:

matshock
10-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Trying to come in after all this time?
I dunno?

Teeth grinding or jaw clenching?- makes more sense if it's all of sudden.

Goodman
10-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Symptoms like that are often reported by people living in homes with poor quality plumbing..........:cool1:

swampdragon
10-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Teeth grinding or jaw clenching?- makes more sense if it's all of sudden.

Maybe?

Kadmos
10-15-2010, 12:57 AM
Could be anything from lockjaw to grinding your teeth in your sleep, you up to date on your tetanus shot?

Shame no one has come up with a special service where you could go some place and see someone who might have some sort of education relating to matters of health....

AK_Apostle
10-15-2010, 01:47 AM
Have you chewed on anything hard in the last few days that could have cut or jabbed your gum and got infected?

swampdragon
10-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Could be anything from lockjaw to grinding your teeth in your sleep, you up to date on your tetanus shot?

Shame no one has come up with a special service where you could go some place and see someone who might have some sort of education relating to matters of health....

Dentists are expensive.
I have great medical coverage, but no dental at the moment.
Thought I'd just ask a few questions first.

swampdragon
10-15-2010, 01:55 AM
Have you chewed on anything hard in the last few days that could have cut or jabbed your gum and got infected?

I don't feel any cuts or anything?

Kadmos
10-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Dentists are expensive.
I have great medical coverage, but no dental at the moment.
Thought I'd just ask a few questions first.

Understandable.

Figure it as mouth pain not tooth pain and go see a doctor.

l921428x
10-15-2010, 03:50 AM
To me it sounds as if you are growing a wisdom tooth. PM Ducati and ask.

AK_Apostle
10-15-2010, 03:59 AM
Could be an ear infection. Have you cleaned your ears with q tips recently and possibly scratched the inner ear? Maybe cleaning your ear with peroxide would help?

Dan Morris
10-15-2010, 05:16 AM
To me it sounds as if you are growing a wisdom tooth. PM Ducati and ask.

Mine didn't come in till I was in my 40's........Damn near called a paramedic before I had em out!!!!!got so bad, thought top of head was coming off! Good luck.
Dan

HDR
10-15-2010, 06:53 AM
A dentist one time said something about evolution and genetic mutations and some technical stuff I didn't understand.

Although I'm not a dentist; I still see his point.. ;)

lol

Guns Network Staff
10-15-2010, 07:10 AM
Paging Dr. 911.... paging Dr. 911 please report to Weird Jaw Pain thread!

ROTFLMAO

MOP
10-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Ear infection ?

swampdragon
10-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Woke up this morning with a lump on my gum now.
Hurts like hell.
If it doesn't go away like very soon, it's dentist time...dammit.

00RedZX-6R
10-15-2010, 12:15 PM
I would be making an appointment right now.

Either that or getting a needle and poking the lump to see some nasty ooze come out.

ubersoldate
10-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Syphilis.

Sorry Swamp, hope you figure it out..
From a guy who has broken even bone in his body, I can honestly say that nothing is worse than back or dental pain.

well, except,
Syphilis
:lool:

No go to the dentist already.

swampdragon
10-15-2010, 12:32 PM
I think I found a home remedy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3Zy0o5z1_c

AKTexas
10-15-2010, 12:36 PM
From spider bites to tooth pain,swampy you are falling apart.Tough getting old!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MaCXVSwec4

old Grump
10-15-2010, 01:15 PM
A little bit of castration would take your mind off the pain for awhile. If you have the right doctor he can take care of that, fix your feet and work on your tooth too.

swampdragon
10-15-2010, 01:25 PM
From spider bites to tooth pain,swampy you are falling apart.Tough getting old!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MaCXVSwec4

Yuck mouth....lol.

I brush and floss regularly.
In fact, I just finished.
It hurt like holy hell.
But no blood or anything.
Maybe next time if I'm lucky....

swampdragon
10-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Well, I broke down and went to the Doc.
She said it's an abscess....and it don't look very good.
Gave me Clindamycin and Vicodin.
Made me promise to find a dentist.

In all however, she said the dentist would have gave me the same meds but charged me more.
My health insurance is great.
Only paid $3 a piece for each med.
Now to find some dental coverage......asap.

btcave
10-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Re-enlist?:wiggle:

swampdragon
10-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Re-enlist?:wiggle:

The family plan for Concordia sucked.
There has got to be something better.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out the differences between dental insurance vs dental discount plans.
I have no idea what is better?

mushroom
10-16-2010, 02:14 AM
Not sure how old you are...I'm almost 50...lost 3 teeth in the last 5 years from gum disiese and abseces... If you have it pulled it will probably be around a hundred...around here...I don't know about root canals...they are out of my price range... Might be worth it to you if you are younger.

swampdragon
10-16-2010, 03:32 AM
Not sure how old you are...I'm almost 50...lost 3 teeth in the last 5 years from gum disiese and abseces... If you have it pulled it will probably be around a hundred...around here...I don't know about root canals...they are out of my price range... Might be worth it to you if you are younger.

I'm 46.
Still have all my teeth so far.
This is the first abscess I've ever had.
It totally sucks too.

l921428x
10-16-2010, 03:52 AM
OK, but what is abcessed? Your molar or is it from maybe a wisdom tooth?

NewbieAKguy
10-16-2010, 03:57 AM
IIRC, didn't Lysander's gf go through this too, but much MUCH worse....hospitalization and everything.

l921428x
10-16-2010, 04:00 AM
Yeah. If you are not careful, something like this can really be dangerous.

swampdragon
10-16-2010, 02:10 PM
OK, but what is abcessed? Your molar or is it from maybe a wisdom tooth?

Unknown?

It appears to be my last upper molar on the left side of my mouth.
The Doc office doesn't have a dental x-ray machine.
So finding out if I "could" have a wisdom tooth coming in, will still require a dentist visit.
The doc is just treating the pain and the infection because that "is" a medical condition whether it's related to a tooth or not either way.
Still gonna have to save up for a dentist visit.
But at least I'll be killing the infection in the mean time.

O.S.O.K.
10-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Get your ass to a dentist pronto! Serously - I am surprised your doc didn't read you the riot act - these type of infections can get to your brain very quickly - not somehting to screw around with.

swampdragon
10-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Get your ass to a dentist pronto! Serously - I am surprised your doc didn't read you the riot act - these type of infections can get to your brain very quickly - not somehting to screw around with.

She did tell me to go to the dentist.
However, she also said to take the antibiotics for a week first.
She said it's better to get the inflammation and infection down first before the dentist starts doing stuff that can spread it even worse.
I have no idea if this is right or wrong.

raxar
10-16-2010, 03:46 PM
sounds to me like your gubmit monitoring chip is acting up, wrap your head in tinfoil, fill your bathtub full of salt water and stand in it, then rub a 9 volt battery on the back of your neck, around the base of your skull. if you start hearing black helicopters put on a cross of david necklace and get your 10/22....

swampdragon
10-16-2010, 03:54 PM
sounds to me like your gubmit monitoring chip is acting up, wrap your head in tinfoil, fill your bathtub full of salt water and stand in it, then rub a 9 volt battery on the back of your neck, around the base of your skull. if you start hearing black helicopters put on a cross of david necklace and get your 10/22....

Dammit!
I'm screwed I guess.
I don't have a cross of David necklace.

raxar
10-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Dammit!
I'm screwed I guess.
I don't have a cross of David necklace.

No matza? No gefilte fish? No giant sacks full of gold?

Better fill the 10/22 with stingers.....

old Grump
10-16-2010, 07:53 PM
put on a cross of david necklace

Say what, is that like the star of Buddha or the rosary of Hindi? Talk about tight tinfoil.

Never mind the stingers, you need standard velocity target bullets and you need to hit the master blade on the turbine in order to induce a counter harmonic back feed which will induce a molecular bond breaking weak force. This will result in near instantaneous disintegration of the aircraft and take their transmitter off line. Your toothache will go away as if by magic, (it is magic you know), and then you will really be able to enjoy your meds.

Be carefull, if you mis-time it and hit the 3rd or 5th turbine blade counter clockwise to the master blade the disintegration will be caused by a multistage cascading combination of nuclear fusion and nuclear fission and you will destroy everything from Knoxville Tennessee to Benkleman Nebraska. That would be a shame, I like Benkleman. Your hat will protect you but the pills will never work again.

raxar
10-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Say what, is that like the star of Buddha or the rosary of Hindi? Talk about tight tinfoil.

Never mind the stingers, you need standard velocity target bullets and you need to hit the master blade on the turbine in order to induce a counter harmonic back feed which will induce a molecular bond breaking weak force. This will result in near instantaneous disintegration of the aircraft and take their transmitter off line. Your toothache will go away as if by magic, (it is magic you know), and then you will really be able to enjoy your meds.

Cross of David, duh if it was a Star of David everyone would know they're J-O-O'S. This is first grade, Saran-wrap level stuff here.

Unless of course there's a reason you're trying to pretend you don't know what it is.....

EVERYONE HIDE THEIR GOLD AND GET INTO THE CRAWL SPACE, THIS PLACE IS OVERFLOWING WITH NWOJBTJ00'S!!!!!!

swampdragon
10-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Cross of David, duh if it was a Star of David...

LOL....I was wondering when you'd catch that....

raxar
10-16-2010, 08:49 PM
LOL....I was wondering when you'd catch that....

yeah, I wish I was that funny, that would have been pure genius if it wasn't a screw-up.