PDA

View Full Version : What other languages can you speak?

arcangel
10-14-2010, 07:41 PM
So how many of y'all speak more than one language? Just curious, just for fun.

Hawaiian
Japanese
German
Arabic
Spanish
French
and working on Russian.

Enough to get by if I went to those countries.

swampdragon
10-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Ebonics....

Penguin
10-14-2010, 08:02 PM
On a good day I get by with english.

I don't speak anything else sadly. I know a little russian but not a whole lot. I wish I knew it and french.

ubersoldate
10-14-2010, 08:04 PM
German, a little Turkish, some arabic.

swampdragon
10-14-2010, 08:06 PM
At the rate things are going, I'm thinking Chinese and Spanish would be good to know.

arcangel
10-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Japanese, Arabic, and Russian are all level 5 in difficulty. Hawaiian is easy 1 I was born and raised there, and 2 there are only 13 letters in the alphabet, it gets repetitive real fast.

Bettendorf
10-14-2010, 08:51 PM
French. I wasn't my choice.

GunBum
10-14-2010, 09:32 PM
English and German.

Russian is rusty.

I also read, speak, and write Chemistry fluently. And I have mad skilz with government acronyms.

AKTexas
10-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Englisch und Deutsch. Deutsch nicht so gut.

Mein Gott!!!! Ein Insekt auf meinem Bildschirm! Tötet ihn! Schnell!

LOL,go figure.You are Polish right?

Krupski
10-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Englisch und Deutsch. Deutsch nicht so gut.

Mein Gott!!!! Ein Insekt auf meinem Bildschirm! Tot ihm machen! Schnell!

ksuguy
10-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Some spanish. I can't keep up with people in conversation though, they just go too fast. I'm much better at reading it than I am speaking it. Several computer languages, but I don't think that counts.

AK-J
10-14-2010, 10:21 PM
I can speak "Car" and "Gun". ;)

LAGC
10-14-2010, 10:30 PM
I speak a little Greek, what little I picked up from my dad who learned it as his first language as a kid. (My grandparents on my dad's side were both born in Greece and emigrated here in the 1920's.)

For example: σκατάς κεφάλι (skata kefali) = shit-head.

But not enough to get by on my own in Greece without a dictionary/translator...

tank_monkey
10-14-2010, 10:35 PM

Hawaiian
Japanese
German
Arabic
Spanish
French
and working on Russian.

Well Hawaii is NOT A COUNTRY, it's a state of the union just like New Jersey......LOL! I remember once when Julie Banderas of FOX NEWS was talking about a possible tsunami hitting Hawaii, and she made an ass out of herself commenting on all the Americans who were there because they were tourists .... DOH! Everyone who is there is an American (except for the foreign TOURISTS) because it's the 50th state of the United States. HAHAHAHA.

Why would you want to learn Hawaiian anyway? Nobody there speaks it. I know. I used to live there. And the local "brown pride" idiots are just that ... idiots.

My top languages are:
Russian
Japanese
German
French
Swedish
hardly any Spanish at all
And some Italian just because I have to learn it when I go there each year :(

however, I still have a limited working knowledge of Arabic, Urdu, Pashtu and Farsi, but the vocabulary slips away from my memory more each day.

mriddick
10-14-2010, 11:06 PM

Hawaiian
Japanese
German
Arabic
Spanish
French
and working on Russian.

You can speak all those languages and are hoping to land a job at Walmart? You should check what the military can do for a guy with your talent, if not them try the state dept. As far as me and languages I got about 8 years of real education so I'm lucky to speak English :)

Languages and music are something I wish I could do.

arcangel
10-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Mriddick, I did go to the Marine Corp and was medically discharged over some BS, and that fudged my chances for government jobs, I've tried. At this point I'd take whatever jobs come my way. Times are tough.

Tank, When I lived in Hawaii (Maui) we were tought Hawaiian in school, I dont know why cause nobody speaks it. But oh well. Where in Hawaii did you live? Man dont remind me of those "brown pride" morons. Man they were dumb.

HDR
10-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Some German and Viet.

Richard Simmons
10-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Used to be able to order a beer and ask how much the girls "bar fine" was in 8 languages but now about all I can do is order in a Mexican restaurant.

Took French for several years in HS and used to read and speak it pretty well but that's been so long ago and I've used it so seldom (did sit next to a lady from France on a flight from London to JFK one time) that I'd be lucky to do more than count and name the days and months or greet someone.

The only Hawaiian I learned when I was at PH was:

Comonawanalaya

abpt1
10-15-2010, 09:32 AM
splanglish

Partisan1983
10-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Languages and music are something I wish I could do.

Same here....

HDR
10-15-2010, 10:38 AM
I speak a little Greek, what little I picked up from my dad who learned it as his first language as a kid. (My grandparents on my dad's side were both born in Greece and emigrated here in the 1920's.)

For example: σκατάς κεφάλι (skata kefali) = shit-head.

But not enough to get by on my own in Greece without a dictionary/translator...

Did that mean they called you a skata kefali a lot??

lol

Krupski
10-15-2010, 12:37 PM
LOL,go figure.You are Polish right?

No, I'm American. My mother's parents came from Germany (mother) and Italy (father). Both my dad's parents came from Poland.

Both my parents were born here, and so was I (and I even have a birth certificate to prove it).

I took German in school for two reasons:

(1) The other choices (French and Spanish) are gay. ESPECIALLY French.
(2) I wanted to be able to read German due to my interest in WW-II history.

So there you have it.

(oh ... and how on earth did you reply to my post BEFORE I posted it? - magic? :) )

AKTexas
10-15-2010, 12:39 PM
No, I'm American. My mother's parents came from Germany (mother) and Italy (father). Both my dad's parents came from Poland.

Both my parents were born here, and so was I (and I even have a birth certificate to prove it).

So there you have it.

(oh ... and how on earth did you reply to my post BEFORE I posted it? - magic? :) )

I have mad ninja skills.

Krupski
10-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I have mad ninja skills.

Ah so YOU'RE the one who failed one of the hard drives in my RAID array..... :)

AKTexas
10-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Ah so YOU'RE the one who failed one of the hard drives in my RAID array..... :)

Dunno,maybe printerkook can tell you.

sevlex
10-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Rusty French ( never get to practice anymore ) and a "poquito" Spanglish.

Better at comprehending than speaking - I can tell when Mexicans are talking trash about me. Thanks to ex-gf who was a crazy chilanga. :lool:

swampdragon
10-15-2010, 08:43 PM

So there you have it.

töten die Juden?

MOP
10-15-2010, 09:01 PM
I have 2 more languages under the belt, 1 European, and 1 Asian.

Working on my Swahili soon.

Krupski
10-15-2010, 11:35 PM
töten die Juden?

Nein. Warum ich das tun? :conf44:

Cypher
10-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Japanese, Arabic, and Russian are all level 5 in difficulty. Hawaiian is easy 1 I was born and raised there, and 2 there are only 13 letters in the alphabet, it gets repetitive real fast.

I'm in the process of learning Japanese from home using Rosetta stone. My wife is Japanese so you would think I would have learned by now after being married for 12 years but I am finally trying it seriously now.

Any advice on learning the language? I think about the best thing is once you learn enough to speak a little then try to carry on full conversations in Japanese or whatever language you are learning.

Long term I need to learn to read and write in Japanese for business purposes, so it's not just for fun, still going to be hard I am afraid. I might end up taking college classes once I get to a medium level.

slamfire51
10-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Fluent Southern US.
That's all yall.

El Jefe
10-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Shit, I can barely speak Engrish, let alone some damn foreigner crap! :lol2:

Arnulf
10-16-2010, 10:24 AM
m r dogs
m r not
o s a r...m r dogs.

Meatball
10-16-2010, 01:17 PM
m r dogs
m r not
o s a r...m r dogs.

c m pn?

Southern and Sarcasm

tank_monkey
10-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Any advice on learning the language? I think about the best thing is once you learn enough to speak a little then try to carry on full conversations in Japanese or whatever language you are learning.

Yeah, go there on vacation. Nothing FORCES your brain to learn vocabulary faster than to try to order food or ask directions. ;) Actually it worked for me. But don't go now. Thanks to the current administration's deficit spending, the DOLLAR has fallen to a new LOW against nearly all of the world's OTHER currencies, including the YEN. Things were always expensive in Japan (even to the Japanese) it's even worse now, with the Dollar dropping so low. Gotta admit, I never saw SO MANY hot Japanese women until I stood in a trendy shopping Mall in Tokyo. Holy Shit! So that's where they were keeping all of them!!! ;)

swampdragon
10-16-2010, 03:58 PM
c m pn?

Southern and Sarcasm

ur a pn?

gunsnetadmin
10-16-2010, 06:26 PM
English and Czech

arcangel
10-16-2010, 08:13 PM
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.saiga-jp.com/img/character/japanese_language/hiragana_katakana_list.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.saiga-jp.com/japanese_language.html&h=655&w=670&sz=26&tbnid=m7mopT6feFh02M:&tbnh=135&tbnw=138&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhiragana&zoom=1&q=hiragana&hl=en&usg=__jJiJ7Nmqzug6amQB-2x1p4Qg36o=&sa=X&ei=nUy6TNqJFYOlnQe076TcDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CCMQ9QEwAg

That should get you started with reading and writing, learn the pronunciations and you should be good to go. Hiragana is used for words native to Japan, Katakana is for words foreign to Japan. You shouldnt need Kanji for a while. I dont know Kanji cause there is like 6,000-10,000 characters or so.

Arnulf
10-16-2010, 08:22 PM
I picked up some German from my family...but my Opa was the one....he could speak his native German of course...but he could also speak french....Italian....Serbian....Croation....Spanis h....and my dad spoke German....Italian...and some Arab.

Warthogg
10-16-2010, 08:32 PM
According to our :oh-shit:English cousins, I cannot even speak english.

Foreign language training in our schools is just another of those things about our schools that piss me off. A couple of factoids from memory:

1) The US has about 30,000 students learning Chinese (Mandarin)
2) There are more people studying Latin - a dead language - than study Mandarin.
3) In China, all students from grade 3 and up take english.