PDA

View Full Version : Detonics pistols?

Richard Simmons
10-15-2010, 08:21 AM
Was reading an article by Jerry Ahren in the latest Dillon Blue Press about SIG pistols and in the article he mentions that besides the SIG 220 in .45 ACP, two guns he would trust the most are a Detonics USA Combat/Master and a Model 9-11-01.

I seem to recall years ago reading about a compact .45 or 9x19 made by Detonics, not sure which but I don't recall hearing much about them since. A google search shows they have been in business, on and off again for 30+ years and are currently making pistols in Illinois.

Anyone have any experience with either the older or current production pistols from Detonics? TIA

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Only what I read in a modern arms book I own.

Basically said it was a sub-compact 1911. Not much help there I guess...

Looks like it would beat the hell out of your hand, and the beavertail (or lack therof) apears to be designed simply to ensure you get a nasty hammerbite.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k51/otto_rex/45det1.jpg

Richard Simmons
10-15-2010, 12:10 PM
That looks a lot like the pistol I recall reading about years ago (that rear sight is pretty distinctive) though in my mind it was stainless or something simialr in appearance. Either way it was very compact for it's day. Kind of looks like they took a 1911 and cut it off at the front and the bottom. Wonder why the rear sight sits so far forward?

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Wonder why the rear sight sits so far forward?
That's a good question. And none of the literature I've found even mentions it!

Looks like maybe there's a loaded chamber indicator in that cut. Other than that, maybe take a couple of grams off the weight? Weird.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k51/otto_rex/DSC05077.jpg

Gunreference1
10-15-2010, 12:58 PM
These guns had some very uniques features which you can discern from reading the history of these guns. I had no problem with the lack of a grip safety since John Brownings original design didn’t have one until the military insisted on it. One thing that I didn’t care for or understand was the rear sight being set so far forward and the top rear of the slide having a cutout. The intent was the designers never intended for this pistol to be carried in condition one or cocked and locked. What you were supposed to do was to draw and use the thumb of the left hand to cock the hammer as you came up on target. Certainly not an idea I would advise never the less that was the intention of the designers. The pistol was also breaking ground in recoil control by incorporating two then three springs in the guide rod. Recoil was surprisingly comfortable for such a small pistol.Of course the 32 oz weight didn’t hurt either. This was also one of the first if not the first to use stainless steel construction. The problem with stainless steels of the time was called gawling or friction between slide and frame. By using two slightly different types of stainless that problem was resolved.

Reference - http://gunner777.wordpress.com/2008/02/25/the-original-mini-1911-the-detonics-combat-master/

Steve

old Grump
10-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Never got hammer bit but I liked the 200 gr SWC better than my 230 gr hardball and the sight was not a problem, pretty good actually. I never notice grip safeties whether they are there or not. Don't have a lot of time on one, a fellow at the range was shooting one and we swapped for a few magazines. Mine was more accurate but he thought it was to big, whatever trips your trigger. Wouldn't turn it down for a duty gun but still prefer mine. If Ahren likes it thats a good enough recommendation for me to consider it. Man has a lot more time with guns than I do.

Richard Simmons
10-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Thaks for the info guys. Didn't even notice there wasn't a grip safety until I read Steve's post. It kind of looks like there's GS but it's in all the way.

The pistol in Dr G's photo is more like what I remeber from years past.

raxar
10-15-2010, 02:41 PM
I believe it is also featured in some story or book series called "the survialist". Never heard of that story outside of an article about the pistol

Dieselbuilder
10-15-2010, 07:24 PM
I believe it is also featured in some story or book series called "the survialist". Never heard of that story outside of an article about the pistol

The book series was "The Survivalist' by Jerry Ahern. At one time I had the first 20 volumes of the series then due to basement flooding I lost most of them.

grumpy
01-26-2011, 12:18 AM
wow , Detonics is back in buisness , wow flashback to Miama Vice , Sonny Crockett wore one on his ankle , wonder if they make one in .38 super ,