PDA

View Full Version : LAN Problems

ltorlo64
07-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Just thought I would rant for a moment about my ship's LAN. It is very fickle. I never know what I am going to get when I log in.

The first day I logged in I opened up Outlook and set up a signature. This is the one constant. I know that everyday when I log in I will have to reset my signature. It is still there, I just have to select it. It will be there until I log off the LAN, then in the morning, I have to set it again.

I also set a bunch of favorites into Explorer the first day I logged in. These were professional websites that I have to go to do my job. The next day I logged in, they were gone, so I set them all up again. A couple of days later I logged in and I now had 2 of every favorite because the ones I set up the first day were back. I know they were back because I seperated them into folders. Now, some days I have the folders and somedays just the favorites singularly.

We also have a bunch of different drives I can connect to depending on what I need to do. Again, the first day I logged in I had to map the drives I wanted to my computer. Now, it is hit or miss if the drives will be there when I log in. The drives are still available, but about 3-5 times a week I have to re-map them.

Last are the printers. I have taken to installing 3 LAN printers to my computer because I don't know from day to day which my computer will be able to talk to, or which will even still be installed when I log in.

This is just craziness. I have talked to the ADP officer and he said the only fix will be when we get our LAN upgrade in about 6 months. In the mean time, this is like Russian Roulette with a computer.