PDA

View Full Version : My new Spydie

Richard Simmons
10-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Well not my actual knife but just like it. I just checked the tracking and mine is out for delivery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt_qMeNZsYk

A little background. This is a limited edition, 500pcs Knifeworks exclusive. I got on the list 11/21/09 and paid my $20 deposit on 3/4/10. The knives were completely sold out within the first 1-2 days. They finally got them finished this week, as noted in the video the date code on the box is 10/10. They arrived at Knifeworks this Wednesday and were reshipped that same day.

There has never been another Spyderco Military like this, actually there has never been any Spyderco like this. It's the new Titanium Reeve Internal Lock (RIL) but with G10 on the non lock side instead of all titanium and a CPM M4, flat ground blade. For you non steelheads, CPM M4 is a supersteel by anyones standard. I'll post some info on it later. This knife also has a Spyderco first with a new lock bar design.

Traditionally the titanium frame lock locks directly against the blade per the Chris Reeve design. Reeve hardens the locking surface on his knives to prevent wear which will eventually lead to over engaging of the lock bar. Spyderco has implemented, on this knife, (soon to follow on the all titanium Military) a replaceable stainless steel lock bar that also incorporates a stop to keep the lock from over extending when worn. Basically if you wear it out, unlike a regular frame lock where you would have to try and add metal back on, with this one you just adjust or replace the lock bar. Pretty slick.

Anyway, mine should be waiting for me when I get home at 5pm so I'm counting the minutes until I'm out the door here at work.

azhonkey
10-15-2010, 05:10 PM
he should use that knife to trim his nails.:tongue:

cevulirn
10-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Nice knife, out of my budget though!

Hey Richard, any idea when to start looking for the next Spyderco Mule's to show up?

Richard Simmons
10-20-2010, 10:32 AM
You just missed the latest one which came out 10/1/10, it's now "sold out".

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=586

IIRC they try to put out four different Mules per year. We had the one above on October 1st and the CTS-BD1 model back in June of this year so January 1st or February 1st would be my best guesstimate.

From what I've read the next ones will be:

Hitachi's Aogami Super Blue

Takefu Cobalt Special

Uddehom's M390

Don't know when they will be out or if that's even the order they will be made in. I'd love the Super Blue and the M390 has piqued my interest since Benchmade put out the Sibert MPR earlier this year. I just didn't like the design enough to buy it just to try the steel. The Cobalt Special is an unknown, at least to me. I'll have to study on it a bit before I decide if I want one or not.

On a side note or actually back on topic, I'm very pleased with the M4 Military. Mine is smooth, solid lockup, centered blade, great feel and treetopping sharp. Like it a lot.