PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster ACR Recall

Gunreference1
10-16-2010, 01:19 AM
It appears the Bushmaster has issed a 'Product Safety Notice' for the ACR rifle.

http://www.bushmaster.com/pdf/ACR-Web-Notification.pdf

Steve

Schuetzenman
10-16-2010, 07:12 AM
LOL, they could go full auto! Wonder what component is failing? The disonnector would seem the likely candidate.

AKTexas
10-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Damn,with all that product testing they sure took quite a long time.

recon
10-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Wow! All of them! :thud:

Penguin
10-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Wow! All of them! :thud:

Damn,with all that product testing they sure took quite a long time.

My thoughts exactly.

How many years in development? For a rifle with half the features and twice the cost as orginally envsioned.:buttkick:

I don't think I will be buying one which is sad because I thought the Masada was going to be a great gun, and I saved my pennies waiting for it to come out.

matshock
10-16-2010, 12:18 PM
I just like my A2 more and more every day.

Seriously though, the ACR is only a derivative/incremental advance and the fact it has this problem is disconcerting to say the least.

Now if Kel Tec would just sell the RFB to DS Arms we'd get a new rifle that is correctly made...

AKTexas
10-16-2010, 12:31 PM
My thoughts exactly.

How many years in development? For a rifle with half the features and twice the cost as orginally envsioned.:buttkick:

I don't think I will be buying one which is sad because I thought the Masada was going to be a great gun, and I saved my pennies waiting for it to come out.

I was wanting the AK version,but what we got was another 5.56.

Penguin
10-16-2010, 01:28 PM
I was wanting the AK version,but what we got was another 5.56.

Yeah that is about the same here. I see the 6.8 going no where really long term. At least not for military use. Though it would have been nice to have the option. I don't really like the 5.56 round at all. I do like the 7.62x39 and would like to test the 5.45 round. So a rifle that could shot the two russian rounds one of which I like but, could use much more common 5.56 ammo and M-16 mags if things went south had great apeal to me. I don't like the AR rifle but, with just about every one having one it makes some sense to have a rifle in that caliber. This seemed like the way to go. Instead it is only 5.56 at the moment with perhaps 6.8 comming down the road and the other two posblities even further down the road. What a waste.

AKTexas
10-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Yeah that is about the same here. I see the 6.8 going no where really long term. At least not for military use. Though it would have been nice to have the option. I don't really like the 5.56 round at all. I do like the 7.62x39 and would like to test the 5.45 round. So a rifle that could shot the two russian rounds one of which I like but, could use much more common 5.56 ammo and M-16 mags if things went south had great apeal to me. I don't like the AR rifle but, with just about every one having one it makes some sense to have a rifle in that caliber. This seemed like the way to go. Instead it is only 5.56 at the moment with perhaps 6.8 comming down the road and the other two posblities even further down the road. What a waste.

Top on my list next year is the 7.62x25 upper for one of my lowers.

http://www.cncgunsparts.com/home

Gunreference1
10-17-2010, 01:18 AM
I did notice that the Remington ACR version does not have the same notice listed as the Bushmaster.

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/Firearms/Carbines/ACR.aspx

Steve

Circle_10
10-24-2010, 05:09 PM
I think the ACR turned out to be one of the biggest firearms letdowns of the last couple years. I get why Magpul went to another company to produce it, Magpul is an accessories company and just aren't set up for large scale rifle production, but man handing it to Bushmaster proved to be the death knell for the weapon I think. Delayed for years, overhyped, overpriced, With fewer features the the original, and now recalled. I wonder how much facepalming the guys at Magpul are doing.

Penguin
10-24-2010, 10:14 PM
I think the ACR turned out to be one of the biggest firearms letdowns of the last couple years. I get why Magpul went to another company to produce it, Magpul is an accessories company and just aren't set up for large scale rifle production, but man handing it to Bushmaster proved to be the death knell for the weapon I think. Delayed for years, overhyped, overpriced, With fewer features the the original, and now recalled. I wonder how much facepalming the guys at Magpul are doing.

I could harldy agree more. It is sad I was so looking forward to it. No I have no interest in the pretty much.

RJ Shooter
10-24-2010, 11:18 PM
It hurts when karma smack you square in the mouth!!!!

Gunreference1
11-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Bushmaster ACR Recall Explained. A Bit.

Posted on November 17, 2010 by Robert Farago

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Bolt_Group.jpg

The Truth About Guns has been investigating the Bushmaster ACR recall. As you know, a small number of examples were going fully auto. According to Bushmaster customer service, the rifle’s firing pin was the problem. “It was too heavy for certain types of ammo where the primer stood proud,” the agent told us. “We’re putting in a lighter pin and a stronger spring at no charge to the customer. Our current turnaround is two weeks.” So, the question is this: why didn’t Bushmaster test the ACR with all types of ammo before they sold the gun? The answer may be simple enough . . .

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/11/robert-farago/bushmaster-acr-recall-explained/

Steve

swampdragon
11-18-2010, 11:42 AM
LOL....

This thing was a doomed project from start to finish.

AKTexas
11-18-2010, 11:44 AM
LOL....

This thing was a doomed project from start to finish.

It was only doomed once Bushmaster got involved.If Magpul kept this in house we would have the weapon we wanted. Truly interchangeable multi-caliber weapon.

swampdragon
11-18-2010, 11:49 AM
It was only doomed once Bushmaster got involved.If Magpul kept this in house we would have the weapon we wanted. Truly interchangeable multi-caliber weapon.

True, but even Magpul wanted to keep the weak link. The AR star chamber and multi-lug bolt head too.

AKTexas
11-18-2010, 11:57 AM
True, but even Magpul wanted to keep the weak link. The AR star chamber and multi-lug bolt head too.

Yeah I forgot about that one.

Penguin
11-18-2010, 09:21 PM
This will be absolotly amazing if it turns out to be because they changed the firing pin after the fact.

Schuetzenman
11-18-2010, 11:04 PM
So it was slam firing due to weak fp spring and a heavy fp. I wonder what brand of commercial ammo was doing this? Bet milspec ammo didn't.