PDA

View Full Version : Obama: End Tax Breaks For Companies Sending Jobs Overseas

swampdragon
10-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Regardless of your favorite political party....what do you think about this particular subject?

As much as it pains me to say, I actually "do" agree that we need more incentives to keep American companies in AMERICA and employ AMERICANS.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/Obama-Says-Tax-Code-Changes-Promote-Jobs-in-US--105096329.html

U.S. President Barack Obama is again calling on Congress to end tax breaks which he says encourage companies to create jobs in other countries. The president's weekly address Saturday focused on the economy, the top issue in the upcoming mid-term election.

With U.S. unemployment mired at 9.5 percent and Democrats expecting big losses in congressional elections, President Obama is campaigning for new tax laws that he says will keep jobs in the country.

"Now, one of the keys to job creation is to encourage companies to invest more in the United States," he said. "But for years, our tax code has actually given billions of dollars in tax breaks that encourage companies to create jobs and profits in other countries."

Mr. Obama says tax breaks should benefit companies that create new jobs in the United States and keep existing ones in the country.

The president wants to give all businesses a tax break on the cost of new equipment they buy next year. He also wants to make permanent a tax credit for research and experimentation. Mr. Obama says those changes will spur more hiring and help the U.S. better compete in the global market, especially in growing industries such as clean energy.

"That's how we'll ensure that American innovation and ingenuity are what drive the next century," said the president. "That's how we'll put our people back to work and lead the global economy. And that's what I'll be fighting for in the coming months."

Arnulf
10-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Prolly not serious about doing anything about it.....just trying to get his ratings up.

aliceinchains
10-16-2010, 06:25 PM
My company hardly buys new equipment. Even if it did the savings on a tax break would not promote new jobs.

swampdragon
10-16-2010, 06:33 PM
My company hardly buys new equipment. Even if it did the savings on a tax break would not promote new jobs.

A lot of companies never buy new stuff, so I see your point.

I guess my question would be: Do you support the idea of incentives to keep companies at home?

Sidartha
10-16-2010, 06:38 PM
I'd like to know which tax breaks encourage company's to outsource jobs.
A tax break for shipping goods over a significant distance? I could see the domestic use for that.
A tax break for using getting components through customs? This keeps the cost of the end product down. I see the use for this too.
I suppose what I'm saying is I don't trust how these shits define their terms.

This is just a justification for raising taxes by wrapping it in class warfare bullshit

aliceinchains
10-16-2010, 06:39 PM
A lot of companies never buy new stuff, so I see your point.

I guess my question would be: Do you support the idea of incentives to keep companies at home?

Hell yes!

El Jefe
10-16-2010, 06:45 PM
High taxes, punitive regulations and arrogant union labor is what drove companies to friendlier labor markets in the first place. Obama and his ilk can't fix or really even help the economy. These idiots have business people of all stripes so spooked that only Barry being out of office, or him being corralled by a different, business friendly congress will get things rolling again.

Full Otto
10-16-2010, 07:04 PM
I'd like to know which tax breaks encourage company's to outsource jobs.

Same here, it's said a lot in the campaign ads but just dosen't make sense to me.
Not really up on that stuff but just doesn't ring true

Ronwicp
10-16-2010, 07:05 PM
The whole idea of a "Tax break" is absurd in the first place.

We were taking 25% of what you made, even though we didnt do anything. But hey, we are only gonna take 22% now. We are giving you a break.

Fucking ridiculous.

old Grump
10-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Our large unions used to be commie led but switched to gangster leadership when it was found they were a gold mine. Democrats and unions are in each others pockets in an incestuous relationship and our government is the best government big business can buy. NAFTA was a supposedly free trade program pushed by the Republicans and embraced by Clinton. Incestuous every step of the way.

Same import tariff's should be put on home owned foreign made products same as any other import.

It won't happen till the parties involved are out of power, out of Washington and out of our business affairs.

We need a BIG broom.

swampdragon
10-16-2010, 08:58 PM
...a 3rd party broom...

LAGC
10-16-2010, 10:13 PM
One of my main beefs with Obama is that he campaigned on an anti-NAFTA platform, but has been embracing every "free trade" (sell America out) proposal that comes across his desk! A little more protectionism would be nice, at least slow the bleeding of job outsourcing to other countries... we'll see if he really means it, or if its all just for show.

Goodman
10-16-2010, 11:12 PM
I bought a pressure cooker a while back for $250, made in Wisconsin.
There was a similar model for sale for $70 that had been made on the other side of the planet. The cheap one was made, shipped all the way here and put on sale for probably $30-$35 before retail markup. The aluminum in the Wisconsin cooker I bought prolly cost as much.
It's gonna take way more than tax breaks to keep manufacturing demand focused on domestic companies. obama's just spouting populist campaign rhetoric.

Oswald Bastable
10-16-2010, 11:33 PM
... we'll see if he really means it, or if its all just for show.

Two years in and you can't tell yet? You must have ridden the short bus to school.