PDA

View Full Version : "Surprisingly this guy is no engineer" check out this homemade plane

mriddick
10-17-2010, 08:07 AM
I'd say he's hitting about 1899 in technology, I love the line about him not being an engineer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujU1DjaYfs4

deth502
10-17-2010, 09:21 AM
what can possibly go wrong? he researched it on the internet for 6 months!

TheMrMitch
10-17-2010, 10:50 AM
I......wanna watch the maiden "flight".

ubersoldate
10-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Awesome! :laugh:

raxar
10-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Somebody should tell him the front wheel isn't there for steering.....

Zygomatic
10-17-2010, 01:32 PM
I had perfect faith in this aircraft until the reporter mentions that the wings are made of aluminum "shits" at 2:02 minutes.:laugh::laugh:

Schuetzenman
10-17-2010, 02:33 PM

You mean you want to watch the ONLY flight how ever long that might be! :laughingtohard: Dead man walking!

Mark Ducati
10-17-2010, 04:40 PM

Flight? Take off ain't the problem... it's LANDING! That's what I want to see!!!

I give him 30 seconds after take off, IF THAT before he LANDS!

Kadmos
10-17-2010, 04:47 PM
I'd say closer to 1915 or so in technology, maybe a bit better considering the engine.

Seems to me all those early pilots had more balls than brains.

Godspeed and clear skies!

mriddick
10-17-2010, 05:42 PM
I'd say closer to 1915 or so in technology, maybe a bit better considering the engine.

I went with 1899 because I figured 1903 was flight and this guy I'm afraid is not going to acheive that with that plane although give him a few years and he might get it (if he lives). I think he has a way to go before he gets his Wright Bros. moment...

raxar
10-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Flight? Take off ain't the problem... it's LANDING! That's what I want to see!!!

what do ya mean, landings are mandatory, it's the take-offs that are optional.

American Rage
10-17-2010, 06:06 PM

I argue that it's no technology at all. But more of what a child with a wild dream might build. Of course, if by some chance the wings have lift, and the engine is powerful enough to get it up to speed; he may be able to get it off the ground. Steering it is a whole other discussion. And it didn't look like safety was a priority by the look of the hull and borrowed car seat.

If I wanted to build a real flyable plane on a budget, I'd look more toward wood and cloth for my fuselage. That thing looks like it's made of tube steel for a frame with large sheets of poorly worked unknown metal (aluminum or steel?) thrown on top to resemble a fuselage.

Rage

Penguin
10-17-2010, 06:23 PM
I would like to see the actual test flight and I hope he makes it though it. I do think though that he needs new landing gears.

imanaknut
10-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Somebody should tell him the front wheel isn't there for steering.....

As a pilot and licensed aircraft mechanic, that thing is both inspiring and frightening.

Unfortunately he didn't seem to read the part about a controllable front wheel for steering on the ground. On take off, if that wheel decides to make a hard right, there is a good chance if he is lucky he will just ground loop harmlessly. If he is not lucky, the prop will strike the ground when the wheel collapses followed by the front of the plane crumbling, followed by... not a pretty picture.

I also wonder if he has thought about the fact that most propeller driven aircraft have low speed, low torque, high horsepower engines? The 4000 RPM plus Toyota engine turning a prop that size would probably be too fast causing the airflow over the prop blades to become too turbulent to provide thrust (cavitation). It would be operating in a stall condition, which is not conducive to keeping a plane aloft for too long.

I do hope, in the true spirit of do it yourself, that he proves us all wrong and has a great, safe, successful flight.

I had perfect faith in this aircraft until the reporter mentions that the wings are made of aluminum "shits" at 2:02 minutes.
Actually I believe the reporter said that the wings were aluminium shits, which are British versions. :D

raxar
10-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Dear Rich American,

I have searched the world round for a person named just like yourself. I have found you after many months of searching most fruitless, Until today, when I weep with success! Let me first introduce myself, I am Mr.Umbagato Debeygo, President of First Kenyan Bank. I am most sad to report the lose of your most cherished unknown uncle, the national hero Hisplaneis Inpieces, who recently made a historic flight in a plane of his own making with much success, until a herd of magic albinos cursed it and disastor soon followed. Before his death your uncle deposited $3.4 million dollars ($3,400,000) US dollars of left over plane making funds in a secret account which he planned on using to start a plane and baby medicine making company pending his success. Unfortunately after he gave up the ghost and became worm food the money needed to be given to his nearest living relative, all of which were also killed by albino curses, except for you, most lucky rich american! I can process this transaction for a small fee of only $5000 US, provided by you . I very much look forward to making this possible for you.

With true love and happy wishes,
Mr.Umbagato Debeygo

skorpion
10-17-2010, 07:24 PM
That was quite amusing, I must say.

davepool
10-17-2010, 08:28 PM
It's amazing what one can accomplish with a hammer and a screwdriver

O.S.O.K.
10-17-2010, 09:50 PM
How sad and embarassing is it that in the year 2010, this is only the third Kenyan to try and make an aircraft and the first two failed?

This looks like something that Lamont would cobble together from Fred Sanford's stockpile.

Perfecto
10-18-2010, 12:04 AM
this plane has a one way ticket to the crash site..... it should beat the ambulance by @ least 20 mins

Kadmos
10-18-2010, 02:47 AM
I also wonder if he has thought about the fact that most propeller driven aircraft have low speed, low torque, high horsepower engines? The 4000 RPM plus Toyota engine turning a prop that size would probably be too fast causing the airflow over the prop blades to become too turbulent to provide thrust (cavitation). It would be operating in a stall condition, which is not conducive to keeping a plane aloft for too long.

They said the engine spins at 4000rpm, but nothing about prop rotation

But look how high the prop sits, that's way abouve the center-line for the crank, so I assume belt drive, which could mean pretty substantial reduction....

Of course if I were betting on it, obviously I'd bet for a crash, but I would also bet that he will get some air under those wheels

mriddick
10-18-2010, 06:28 AM
I don't see how it could obtain flight, the front wheel alone is going to bury that craft well before takeoff speed is reached :)

Gunner1558
10-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing.

That craft may not make it until a landing is in order. IF it gets off the ground.