PDA

View Full Version : Where do you see our gun hobby/lifestyle going in the future?

skorpion
02-27-2016, 08:17 AM
I've been into guns and gun-related hobbies for 17 years now. Of course, I remember the cosmetics-based AWB of '94 to '04. I remember the waning half of the golden era of surplus with cheap guns, ammo, and accessories. I remember the days before concealed carry was a common thing; when it was legal in just a handful of states.

Things have changed a lot. We don't have a surplus of cheap military arms and ammo any more, but our hobby has gained a lot of traction in the past dozen years or so. The AWB was allowed to sunset. Concealed carry has expanded to all fifty states (with only a small handful barely issuing CCW licenses - Hawaii for example). The Heller decision in 2008 was fundamental in confirming what we all know the 2nd Amendment has always said. America's rifle, the AR15, is more abundant and more affordable - it has taken the place of milsurp guns as far as "cheap" shooting goes. There are a many new guns being offered on the market, but the one thing they all currently have in common is price: Most new models are going to cost well over $1000. There are more gun owners than ever before. As always, we are fighting in the non-stop war against gun grabbers, and we never will be able to stop the fight. This is where we are now.

Where do you see our hobby going in the future? What are your predictions? What will be the next fad? What twisted new restrictions will the ATF conjure up?

BISHOP
02-27-2016, 10:23 AM
The removal of silencers from the NFA registery.
Its funny that you CAN own silencers but only for engines, air tools, BB guns etc. but not for a firearm.
We should be able to buy them at Walmart.

I've been into firearms and mil surplus stuff since I was about 12. That was back in 81. Since then its been a love affair of acquiring and knowledge of the mechanics.

BISHOP

Helen Keller
02-27-2016, 10:52 AM
with the world heating up close to full scale WWIII who knows what will happen.

in our country it seems that the pendulum is starting to slowly come back towards the conservative side.

02-27-2016, 11:21 AM
When I was a kid it was okay to toss trash out the car window going down the road. It was not a shameful act oddly enough. As time went buy our country started the Don't be a litter bug campaign in media and through the schools. As kids we were taught littering to be wrong and that translated back into the home where we encouraged our parents to not litter...called kids who littered, litter bugs. Now days it is almost unthinkable to drive down the road and toss litter out the window.

I believe the same method is being used in our culture on many different levels and firearms are one of those issues. The media uses scare tactics and schools encourage and enforce zero tolerance to the point of pushing it to t-shirts and pop tarts. Kids are being educated much the same as the Give a Hoot, Don't Pollute campaigns.

My guess is a couple generations from now, the way we see firearms ownership in this country will be much different than it is today.

FunkyPertwee
02-27-2016, 12:13 PM
When I was a kid it was okay to toss trash out the car window going down the road. It was not a shameful act oddly enough. As time went buy our country started the Don't be a litter bug campaign in media and through the schools. As kids we were taught littering to be wrong and that translated back into the home where we encouraged our parents to not litter...called kids who littered, litter bugs. Now days it is almost unthinkable to drive down the road and toss litter out the window.

I believe the same method is being used in our culture on many different levels and firearms are one of those issues. The media uses scare tactics and schools encourage and enforce zero tolerance to the point of pushing it to t-shirts and pop tarts. Kids are being educated much the same as the Give a Hoot, Don't Pollute campaigns.

My guess is a couple generations from now, the way we see firearms ownership in this country will be much different than it is today.

Yes, zero tolerance policies are being used to train children to be uncomfortable around something even as innocent as a pocket utility knife. Don't ask me how I know....

Krupski
02-27-2016, 08:03 PM
Yes, zero tolerance policies are being used to train children to be uncomfortable around something even as innocent as a pocket utility knife. Don't ask me how I know....

I think "zero tolerance" is also responsible for the violent acts that seem to come from the "quiet kids".

There will always be bullies, and when I was in grade school (late 1960's - early 1970's), if a bully picked on someone, that someone had to, sooner or later, meet the bully in the school parking lot and swing fists.

Nothing bad ever happened... usually the first bloody nose ended it, and 9 times out of 10 the bully and the kid shook hands and became friends. And usually a teacher or two watched the fight just to be sure it didn't go too far.

At home, the parents were told "I ran into a door" or "I slipped and fell". We NEVER ratted on anyone (of course, our parents knew where the black eye or bloody nose came from, but they played along).

No police, no lawsuits, no violent revenge, no guns, no knives... it was over and forgotten.

Nowadays, because of "zero tolerance", the weak kid has to take it and take it and keep smiling. Sooner or later, he can't take it anymore, takes dad's pistol to school and empties the mag on everyone who ever picked on him, then ends up either killing himself or else the cops do it for him.

Then, the "concerned" parents and teachers shake their heads in disbelief, saying "I just don't get it... Johnny was such a nice quiet boy... maybe he was on drugs or something". Or worse, someone will dig up a Facebook video of the boy and his dad "shooting AK style automatic weapons" and say "ah-HA that's what caused it... dad and his damn GUNS!".

On top of all that, the liberal, all female teaching staff can't understand "boys" (any more than they understand why their husbands belch, then laugh about it).

They want everything to be pink, fuzzy, soft and safe. No dodgeball, no tag, no football, nothing that a MALE yearns to do.

These femi-nazi teachers want girls to be girls, and boys to be girls. They just can't understand why boys get angry instead of crying. They can't understand why boys love rough (and DANGEROUS - OH MY!) games, why they like to fight and in general why boys act like boys.

The teachers get CONCERNED, write letters home to the mother and the metro-sexual father, suggesting that their "wild" (i.e. perfectly normal) son needs Ritalin or some other drug to dope him into a girl-like calm and quiet.

And of course, the end result is 100% predictable. The boy either can't stand it and snaps, or he learns to conform and becomes the next generation of "good, caring metrosexual males" (I won't use the word "men" here).

Geez... in grade school we were in the height of the cold war and "rocket mania" and every boy drew tanks, guns and of course MISSILES (and anti-missiles and anti-missile-missiles, etc...).

Do that today and the kid gets suspended, expelled or sent for a psych evaluation to figure out why (horrors!!!) a boy is trying to act like a boy. We simply cannot tolerate that. Drug him into submission, if that doesn't work, expel him and make the boy someone else's "problem".

The way things are today makes me positively SICK... and "zero tolerance" is right up at the top of my list.

rci2950
02-29-2016, 12:57 PM
With social media, people are seeing the truth around the anti gun bullshit. It is becoming more and more irrevelant. Even here in Canada. I see a good future for us.

Schuetzenman
02-29-2016, 10:42 PM
I think it's going no where. I think we've seen the peak and when Trump wins and agrees with all the antigun Democrap legislation and screwing the SCOTUs to the left, the 2nd amenment is toast.

skorpion
03-01-2016, 09:54 AM
I think it's going no where. I think we've seen the peak and when Trump wins and agrees with all the antigun Democrap legislation and screwing the SCOTUs to the left, the 2nd amenment is toast.I agree. Trump did openly support the AWB back in the day and was (is?) a supporter of waiting periods to purchase firearms. He has also thrown money at anti-gun/anti-freedom Democrats like upChuck Schumer.