PDA

View Full Version : Ever use OXPHO-Blue??

BISHOP
02-27-2016, 07:13 PM
I ordered some Formula 44-40 Instant Gun Blue *Creme* from Amazon.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QknDaoKZL._SY355_.jpg

And received OXPHO-Blue
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SCtffCZsL.jpg

I have no experience with this stuff. Is it like the 44-40? Its not a replacement because the same guy (Amazon seller) also sells the OXPHO for $5. less.

What to do?
I'd rather have Amazon pay to have it shipped back and get what I ordered.

BISHOP

Richard Simmons
02-27-2016, 07:55 PM
I've used the Oxpho-Blue crème for years and really liked it. Haven't bought or used any recently though. No experience with the 44-40.

Schuetzenman
02-27-2016, 08:52 PM
I used the 44/40 liquid back in the late 1970's. It was ok for a touch up. The Oxpho Blue paste in particular is really good stuff. Makes a black finish, does not have to be degreased any unless the metal is swimming in oil. Warming the parts makes them get blacker faster. It is a very durable finish / color. I don't use anything else unless I'm cold rust bluing. Me I'd keep it if it was sent to me.

dfariswheel
02-27-2016, 09:12 PM
I'd keep it.
I'm not enamored of cream or paste cold blues but the Oxypho liquid worked well, better then 44-40.
44-40 is an old product that Brownell's bought out some years ago.

Having tried just about everything on the market I recently bought a bottle of Brownell's Dicrophan T4 and I think it may be the best of all.
It gives a really dark finish that's more black unless the part is bright polished. It seems to wear better then most anything else.
It seems to stand up better on pistol sights and gives a blacker finish on the bead blasted metal.

O.S.O.K.
02-29-2016, 10:46 AM
Yes I've used it and it's a good product. Heat the metal to be blued before applying and it works even better. I'm talking about heating to 150 degrees or so...

BISHOP
02-29-2016, 08:20 PM
Well I contacted the seller and he immediately shipped the correct one with a return label for the other.

BISHOP

Schuetzenman
02-29-2016, 11:00 PM
Too bad, I think you're missing out on a better product.