PDA

View Full Version : Guy on Facebook wants to trade my VZ58 for his Norinco Type 97.

rci2950
03-05-2016, 06:14 PM
What would you do? They are both equally valued. One is 7.62x39 the other is 5.56 nato and takes AR mags. Bullpup vs AK lookalike... The Norinco Type 97 uses STANAG magazines so they are virtually everywhere. 5.56 nato is easier to find in non corrosive...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Sa_58-JH01.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z28/Epoxy7/photo40_zps551c33e6.jpg

Aggressive Perfector
03-05-2016, 06:40 PM
I would say do it... But keep in mind I'm an American and a Chinese Type 97 isn't something we get to handle every day here and I know dick about it. My "yay" is based purely off of my inability to acquire one. :tongue:

alismith
03-05-2016, 06:46 PM
Forget the prices. Which one would you be more inclined to shoot?

Go with your answer to that question.

rci2950
03-05-2016, 06:53 PM
would probably shoot the norinco more. Because 5.56 is more available in good commercial ammo. All the x39 is corrosive shit or expensive soft points.

ltorlo64
03-05-2016, 06:57 PM
I think that Norinco looks cool. Is it a reliable shooter? It would be a bother to trade and find out that it jams every other shot.

tank_monkey
03-05-2016, 07:06 PM
You're a CANADIAN, so you can get a Norinco Type 97. We're lowly Americans and we can't get them, so they are as RARE as GOLDEN UNICORNS in the U.S.

I'd JUMP at the chance for a Type 97, even though they're banned here, (in CA for ownership and from import into the US as a whole).

imanaknut
03-05-2016, 07:35 PM
I am a bullpup fan, and just seeing that rifle makes me jealous as heck that we in the land of shall not be infringed are banned from owning it, but you with your odd (to say the least) Canadian laws can own one.

That said, I would double check your laws as knowing the RCMP they change their mind as often as our unconstitutional ATF.

Have to agree that using STANAG mags is a big plus, and if clean 5.56x45/.223 is easier for you to get, go for it.

And then you will post pictures of it, and I will have to enshrine you in my official "I hate you" club. :D :D :D :D :D

rci2950
03-05-2016, 09:58 PM
nah nevermind. Turns out they aren't that great and hard to find parts. I asked a number of people on my Facebook their opinion and i got an overwhelming "don't do it." I have never fired one or even really held one for that matter. So i had no idea.

BISHOP
03-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Hey guys these Canadians can get real un-butchered 1950s Russian milled AKs that have been converted to semi auto by just removing the safety sear. AND THATS ALL!!!!!!!!
Completely legal and beautiful. I saw one back in the early 2000 and the guy only wanted $500 for it.... Made me cry being a 'Murican. I even got a chance to shoot it. History in my hands. Over on this side it would be in a museum.

BISHOP

rci2950
03-05-2016, 10:05 PM
you will post pictures of it, and I will have to enshrine you in my official "I hate you" club. :D :D :D :D :D

I had that feeling a lot a few years back when you guys were bump firing crates of ammo from your AK.. and posting the pics.

I held an AK once. In a gunshop in maine. So count your blessings.

rci2950
03-05-2016, 10:37 PM
Hey guys these Canadians can get real un-butchered 1950s Russian milled AKs that have been converted to semi auto by just removing the safety sear. AND THATS ALL!!!!!!!!
Completely legal and beautiful. I saw one back in the early 2000 and the guy only wanted $500 for it.... Made me cry being a 'Murican. I even got a chance to shoot it. History in my hands. Over on this side it would be in a museum.

BISHOP

they are prohibited. Meaning as confused as it sounds. You need a prohibited license. So if you owned a firearm that became prohibited at some time after you bought it then you are grandfathered into all the other prohib stuff of that class. So it it is a handgun then you can have prohib handguns all you want. If it is a rifle then the same. If it is full auto then you won the lottery. My friend has a 1927 thompson. Original. Works just fine and he has it legally.

imanaknut
03-05-2016, 11:22 PM
How long have you had to put up with the 18 inch (483mm) minimum barrel length? I have a couple of Canadian Norincos and Poly Techs that have the longer barrel. They were legally imported before ATF decided that Chinese rifles across any boarder were banned. Norinco was planning on shipping them to the US before they were banned here, but Canada still allowed them for a while.

Edited to add that the 56S and 84S were available in 355mm (14in) 415mm (16in) and 483mm (18in) for the different markets. Bans in the land of shall not be infringed put the hurt on the longer and shorter lengths.

rci2950
03-05-2016, 11:28 PM
How long have you had to put up with the 18 inch (483mm) minimum barrel length?

since the mid 90's its no big deal. you get used to it. if anything it just adds to the usefulness of the firearm. extra inch will give you that extra velocity and accuracy. I like to be able to use my guns hunting. Be it a Rem 700 or a VZ58. If i can't take down a white tail deer with it then i don't generally go for that. Plus nobody is conceal carry a rifle. So i am not entirely sure what the barrel length does for public safety. just more liberal bullshit to stick a finger in the eye of a gun owner.

Schuetzenman
03-06-2016, 08:02 AM
Interesting post and string of replies. Based on the comments of the 97 isn't so reliable and spare parts are hard to come by I would stick with the VZ rifle.

BISHOP
03-06-2016, 11:50 AM
I though the Canadians could have any barrel length as long as its a factory made barrel (no cutting it down yourself).
I have a friend in the Arctic Circle that has a Grizzly 12Ga with a factory 12" barrel. It was explained that way to me.
All my friends in NB are Canadian Gun Nutz.

BISHOP

skorpion
03-06-2016, 01:18 PM
I though the Canadians could have any barrel length as long as its a factory made barrel (no cutting it down yourself).
I have a friend in the Arctic Circle that has a Grizzly 12Ga with a factory 12" barrel. It was explained that way to me.
All my friends in NB are Canadian Gun Nutz.

BISHOPI believe that "any length" rule applies to only shotguns, but I could be wrong.

rci2950
03-07-2016, 10:14 PM
Well. I ended up with both. My S&W Victory and Enfield revolver are gone now though. Didn't like them anyway. Too expensive to shoot and the Enfield patterned like a shotgun. I sold the revolvers (on Facebook) and used that money to buy another VZ58 (from Facebook) which i traded to the guy for his Type 97. The revolvers sold in less then a day. Surprised the shit out of me. Same guy bought both.

Come to think of it. The new Facebook rules regarding the sale of firearms is working out real well for them.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1531/25307388750_9a939a3be7_h.jpg

imanaknut
03-07-2016, 11:22 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That rifle is something that we in the USA can only dream of. As a collector and lover of the bullpup style, as well as liking the stuff from Norinco, I am really happy just to know someone who can actually say "I own one"!!!

I hope one day before I can no longer handle a rifle, that we in the land of shall not be infringed can actually buy one of those!!!

Schuetzenman
03-08-2016, 06:49 AM
Yep congrats on having your cake and being able to eat it as well. Now you are obliged to do a range report on how it functions and how accurate it is.

rci2950
03-08-2016, 07:29 AM
Yep congrats on having your cake and being able to eat it as well. Now you are obliged to do a range report on how it functions and how accurate it is.

Thanks :) first chance i get! I will also do a few rounds with my go pro on my forehead.

skorpion
03-08-2016, 09:12 AM
Ha, awesome move there getting another VZ-58 to swap for the Norinco. Congrats!

rci2950
03-08-2016, 12:33 PM
I am still out shooting and I have pics and video for later. But for now at 183 yards I can easily hit a rock the size of a coyote's body. Cycles well and hits what I am aiming at. Fired 30 rounds of American eagle fmj and not a single issue.

imanaknut
03-08-2016, 01:39 PM
:anim_beer-1: