PDA

View Full Version : Finally caught up on my book pile.

NewbieAKguy
10-18-2010, 12:47 AM
While I have some time before spring semester at school I was able to catch up on my reading pile. In the last few weeks I've read the following:

Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin-- VERY good book. Excellent description of what has happend to our wonderful nation and what needs to be done, i.e. bring back our founding principles.

Day by Day Armageddon by J.L. Bourne--A cool zombie tale written in first person POV in a journal format. I need to get the sequel Beyond Exile ASAP.

World War Z by Max Brooks--Good zombie novel. Told in an after-action type report/interview by an investigative journalist type of main character. I like Day by Day Armageddon just a tad more because of the format.

The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks--Obviously written tongue-in-cheek but it was still fun to read....no different than our many What-if zombie threads. Of course disagreed with some of it but to each their own :).

Alas Babylon by Pat Frank--one of my favorites. Read it in high school and finally added it to my own library. Good ol' nuclear war survival set in the 1960s.

Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles--written by head guy of Survivalblog.com (which I didn't know until I read back page). A TEOTWAWKI novel set after America's economy totally collapses. Possible? I wouldn't rule it out if our country doesn't get its collective head out of its arse. Some good DIY info mixed throughout the novel, story line was decent. It would be nice to be able to plop down cash for the acres the main characters and their friends were able to do in Idaho and upgrades, but if you got the means why not right? Didn't agree with some of the finer points (mostly weapons details and such) but overall a worth while read. Recommended read.

Going to read a few of my magazine subs first before I start my next book, When All Hell Breaks Loose by Cody Lundin. My bad if we already had a book review thread already, I would have put it there.....ones I found were just lists. Thought I'd add a small review.

Please feel free to list any books youz guyz have read recently. I'm always looking for a good read, be it informative, fun, or a mix of the two.

Oswald Bastable
10-18-2010, 01:57 AM
While I have some time before spring semester at school I was able to catch up on my reading pile. In the last few weeks I've read the following:

Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin-- VERY good book. Excellent description of what has happend to our wonderful nation and what needs to be done, i.e. bring back our founding principles.

Day by Day Armageddon by J.L. Bourne--A cool zombie tale written in first person POV in a journal format. I need to get the sequel Beyond Exile ASAP.

World War Z by Max Brooks--Good zombie novel. Told in an after-action type report/interview by an investigative journalist type of main character. I like Day by Day Armageddon just a tad more because of the format.

The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks--Obviously written tongue-in-cheek but it was still fun to read....no different than our many What-if zombie threads. Of course disagreed with some of it but to each their own :).

Alas Babylon by Pat Frank--one of my favorites. Read it in high school and finally added it to my own library. Good ol' nuclear war survival set in the 1960s.

Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles--written by head guy of Survivalblog.com (which I didn't know until I read back page). A TEOTWAWKI novel set after America's economy totally collapses. Possible? I wouldn't rule it out if our country doesn't get its collective head out of its arse. Some good DIY info mixed throughout the novel, story line was decent. It would be nice to be able to plop down cash for the acres the main characters and their friends were able to do in Idaho and upgrades, but if you got the means why not right? Didn't agree with some of the finer points (mostly weapons details and such) but overall a worth while read. Recommended read.

Going to read a few of my magazine subs first before I start my next book, When All Hell Breaks Loose by Cody Lundin. My bad if we already had a book review thread already, I would have put it there.....ones I found were just lists. Thought I'd add a small review.

Please feel free to list any books youz guyz have read recently. I'm always looking for a good read, be it informative, fun, or a mix of the two.

As a fan of Zombie fiction, you now need to read 'The Rising' and 'City of the Dead' (in that order) and also, Dead Sea by Brian Keene

NewbieAKguy
10-18-2010, 02:13 AM
As a fan of Zombie fiction, you now need to read 'The Rising' and 'City of the Dead' (in that order) and also, Dead Sea by Brian Keene

Thanks for the tip. They are both now on my 'to get' list. Hmmm, Christmas is coming up........:)

Oswald Bastable
10-18-2010, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the tip. They are both now on my 'to get' list. Hmmm, Christmas is coming up........:)

Also, in the Zombie frame of mind/realm, I can highly recommend 'The Infected' by Michael McBride, and 'Primitive' by JF Gonzalez. Also by Michael McBride, if you really like apocalyptic SHTF fiction, check out his God's End series: The Fall, Blizzard of Souls, Trail of Blood.

But, don't ask me...

I only do copy editing for four different publishers under seven different imprints, all in the fantastic fiction (mostly horror except for one) realm. :)