PDA

View Full Version : OH - Concealed-carry license comes with limitations

Gunreference1
10-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Concealed-carry license comes with limitations

CantonRep.com staff report
Posted Oct 17, 2010 @ 07:00 AM

Long before concealed-carry licenses became available in 2004, newspaper editorial pages were inundated with letters supporting and decrying the pending legislation.

You had to pay for and pass a 12-hour class that included two hours on the shooting range. Then you headed to the county sheriff’s office, where you were fingerprinted, photographed and given a license that faintly resembled a traditional laminated driver’s license.

That license entitled you to carry a concealed weapon either on your person or in your vehicle.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x1404217981/Concealed-carry-license-comes-with-limitations

Steve

mriddick
10-18-2010, 09:01 AM
I'd say a CCW permit by it's very nature comes with limitations, too bad we just don't go with the BOR and be done with it as the no permit states have done :) .

Ohio has some funky gun laws and their CCW laws are seriously messed up, I have an Ohio CCW as well as a KY and the things Ohio makes you do are silly at best. One other issue with Ohio is different counties act very different in how that handle the process, in Franklin or Marion county the waits are long for the Sheriff to do his checks while in aneighboring county they do the work in 2-3 days. In Marion I know I was told the wait was a minimum of 45 days, one guy I know who went to the next county dropped off his paperwork and they called him on his way back home to come and get his CCW.

The state took the easy way out, instead of requiring sheriffs to do the work in a timely manner they allow you to go to a neighboring county and apply, which sucks if all your neighboring counties are slow to issue them as well. One other thing I worry about is now there is precedent for county residency in the firearms process, I can bet at some point this will be used to further restrict where you might buy a firearm in the same way we can't cross state lines and buy a pistol. It's the start of a nose under the tent.