PDA

View Full Version : Single Point Sling Question

Zoff12
10-18-2010, 09:01 PM
For years I have used a 3 point sling. It's just what was issued to me. Not long ago, I was advised we could get our own slings in pretty much any configuration within reason. I have used several single point slings and plan on using one. Got my eye on the MagPul MS2. Any thoughts? Anybody used one? Quality? Suggestions on other single point slings? Thanks.

Penguin
10-18-2010, 09:44 PM
I haven't used that one. I have a two point sling that can quickly convert to a one point sling on my sterling. I bought it from BDS. I like that a lot. Though in the single point it is unwieldy because my sterling has a 16 inch barrel. I would imagine if I SBR'ed it it would work fine as a single and two point.

Schuetzenman
10-19-2010, 06:04 AM
I have a Troy Industries single point. It has an awesome pad on it and is long enough for a Sasquach to use it. Down side, not my fave from a quick release point of view.

Zoff12
10-19-2010, 08:14 PM
I took a look at both suggestions. Nice slings... both of them. I ended up pulling the trigger today on the MS2 in FDE. Wished they made them in OD but, sadly, no. Didn't want a black one so FDE it is.

ubersoldate
10-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Ive had a few, like the troy one for example. Really well made.
Not my thing, I do see where they might come in handy though.

I prefer a quality adjustable sling with HK style hooks on both ends. That way on my ars and aks I can run a single sling style, and if I feel like hiking with it, I can use it as a standard two point.

What I have found hauling my stuff around the desert, is that there is no sling style that works best for everything, unless of course the sling itself does close to everything!

Zoff12
10-19-2010, 08:22 PM
That way on my ars and aks I can run a single sling style, and if I feel like hiking with it, I can use it as a standard two point.
That's what I liked about the MS2. Can be used as a 1 or 2 pointer.

swampdragon
10-23-2010, 12:01 AM
I guess I'm just old fashioned.
I still prefer 2 point slings.
The long ones can be let out for patrol carry, or shortened up for shoulder slung or across the back when climbing.
I dunno?
Just don't care for the new newfangled stuff.

matshock
10-23-2010, 11:50 AM
I guess I'm just old fashioned.
I still prefer 2 point slings.
The long ones can be let out for patrol carry, or shortened up for shoulder slung or across the back when climbing.
I dunno?
Just don't care for the new newfangled stuff.

I like a two-point, side slung against the left of the rifle and across my body- African carry. It's easy to transition between back and front carry and it's got a good level of support across my right shoulder when firing.

I'm experimenting with a single point holding a carbine and then a bolt rifle slung over that. It's a cool near/far combo but it's slow to transition in and out of the bolt rifle and it sucks indoors. Outside and with a team it might be useful though.

Zoff12
10-23-2010, 08:07 PM
I got the MS2 in the other day. It can easily transition from single to 2-point in a second. I found after I fit it for single point that, when I transitioned to 2-point, I did not need to adjust. This thing is pretty easy to use and the most comfortable I have ever had.

abpt1
10-23-2010, 08:27 PM
I have a few slings from here they make good stuff !

http://www.urbanertslings.com/index.html

aliceinchains
10-23-2010, 09:55 PM
I just ordered one of these. Along with ammunition lol.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XMAG501blk&groupid=56

Zoff12
10-23-2010, 10:23 PM
I just ordered one of these. Along with ammunition lol.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XMAG501blk&groupid=56

I got that one in FDE. I like.

TEN-32
10-23-2010, 10:45 PM
I like Blackhawk. There are others, just a preference.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Storm-Sling-1-PT,470,1342.htm
http://www.blackhawk.com//CatalogImages/18-470-IMG1.jpeg

Zoff12
10-24-2010, 07:13 AM
A BH 3-pt was one of the first slings I was issued. Never would stay adjusted and fell apart after a few training days. About everything in nylon I ever got from BH fell apart fairly quickly except for this one leg holster I have been using for close to 8 years. I tend to shy away from BH.

TEN-32
10-24-2010, 08:04 AM
We still have those 3-point slings on our patrol rifles. Haven't seen any issues so far. I think that is the standard issue sling Anywhere, USA.

Zoff12
10-24-2010, 08:17 AM
We still have those 3-point slings on our patrol rifles. Haven't seen any issues so far. I think that is the standard issue sling Anywhere, USA.
It does seem to be the standard. Most I have talked to have had little to no issues. Biggest complaint I have heard is coming out of adjustment (slipping). Same problem we had. IIRC... first ones we issued had this complicated small strap that had to be buckled onto the front swivel. If it got too close to the barrel, it melted. We went to another model that just didn't fit well. I am not sure of the brand on them now as the tags have come off. Probably BH. It was the different complaints from different people that promped the "use your own" policy.

shadow65
10-27-2010, 01:03 PM
The single point is great so long as you are carrying the weapon or just dropping it for transition to a side arm.
I tried one when on the E.R.T.
It sucked when I was rear guard, using my side arm. It beat me to death no matter wear I had it.
I too prefer the 2 point sling. I use a Blue Force with a strap that releases in an instant for right to left trasition. Plus no long strap hanging like on some.
I also have QD's mounted.

Zoff12
10-27-2010, 01:33 PM
I have found that I am much better able to carry my weapon with a single point. This is a necessity for my ERT job. I seldom carry a long arm on ops as I am the breacher but when I do, single point works best for me. Guess it's personal preferance.

swampdragon
10-27-2010, 01:51 PM
The single point is great so long as you are carrying the weapon or just dropping it for transition to a side arm.
I tried one when on the E.R.T.
It sucked when I was rear guard, using my side arm. It beat me to death no matter wear I had it.
I too prefer the 2 point sling. I use a Blue Force with a strap that releases in an instant for right to left trasition. Plus no long strap hanging like on some.
I also have QD's mounted.

I'm on your side.
2-point slings don't let your weapon beat you up so badly.

Bluedog
11-10-2010, 12:03 AM
If I had to have a single point sling, I would use the Magpul so I could at least convert it. Single points are cool for active shooting, but pretty much useless for carrying the rifle over distance. I use and IDF sling, attached at the top rear of the stock, and just in front of the ejection port. (I am a lefty) I run the sling up over my strong side shoulder, across my back, and under my weak arm. If the Gunsnet Gallery ever gets up and working, I intend to offer some pics demonstrating why this is the only sling method that anyone should bother with, unless sniping.

Bluedog
11-10-2010, 12:12 AM
I just noticed, the dumbfuck modeling the blackhawk sling in the pic Bleed4me posted is wearing it backwards. It's supposed to be over his strong side shoulder, and under his weak arm. This allows the rifle to fall to his weak side, allowing him unobstructed access to his side arm --which is on his strong side. Fucking mall ninjas.

swampdragon
11-10-2010, 01:09 AM
If I had to have a single point sling, I would use the Magpul so I could at least convert it. Single points are cool for active shooting, but pretty much useless for carrying the rifle over distance. I use and IDF sling, attached at the top rear of the stock, and just in front of the ejection port. (I am a lefty) I run the sling up over my strong side shoulder, across my back, and under my weak arm. If the Gunsnet Gallery ever gets up and working, I intend to offer some pics demonstrating why this is the only sling method that anyone should bother with, unless sniping.

I'm right handed because it's right.
I wanna see your pics.
I wear mine just the opposite.

I run the sling over my week shoulder, across my back, then under my strong arm.

Bluedog
11-10-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm right handed because it's right.
I wanna see your pics.
I wear mine just the opposite.

I run the sling over my week shoulder, across my back, then under my strong arm.

Seriously, you have to try it this way. I don't know what this sling method is called, but I think Larry Vickers is a big proponent of it. Put a sling mount at the rear of your rail, just in front of the receiver, and tie up some para cord Israeli style so that you can improvise a sling mount at the top rear of your stock. Put the sling on as I described (I had to play with it for a few minutes --after decades of doing it the other way, it was hard to figure out!) Just shoulder the rifle a few times. You will immediately "get it". I guarantee it.

I can't get teh gallery to work here, but I'm going to try and post a pic of my sling set-up. Remember, I am a lefty and do it backwards.

Bluedog
11-10-2010, 08:48 AM
By the way, when I said the guy in the pic has his sling wrong, he does. The method I describe if for two point slings. He has his single point slung up wrong, so that when he lowers the rifle, it will hang to his strong side and block his side arm.

swampdragon
11-10-2010, 07:31 PM
I looked at your pic and understand the mounting of the sling to the rifle part.
It's the wearing it part that confuses me.
Maybe I'm just not able to envision what you are saying.

Bluedog
11-10-2010, 11:58 PM
I looked at your pic and understand the mounting of the sling to the rifle part.
It's the wearing it part that confuses me.
Maybe I'm just not able to envision what you are saying.

Hold your rifle out in front of you, with the muzzle pointing to your left, put the sling over you head, like a necklace, then reach your left hand trough the sling and grasp the forearm. Normally, you, me, and 99.9999 percent of shooters reach our strong/ shooting arm through the sling, and it is very hard to do this the way I describe, after decades of muscle memory training, but give it a shot.

Now, hold the weapon in the low ready position, pic a target, and snap the rifle up into a shouldered reflexive firing position. Then, say: "wow; why didn't I think of this!"

Bluedog
11-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Try this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXs_3jGejxs

Ignore the transition drill, just look at the initial sling position.

swampdragon
11-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Hold your rifle out in front of you, with the muzzle pointing to your left, put the sling over you head, like a necklace, then reach your left hand trough the sling and grasp the forearm. Normally, you, me, and 99.9999 percent of shooters reach our strong/ shooting arm through the sling, and it is very hard to do this the way I describe, after decades of muscle memory training, but give it a shot.

Now, hold the weapon in the low ready position, pic a target, and snap the rifle up into a shouldered reflexive firing position. Then, say: "wow; why didn't I think of this!"

NOW I get it!
Yep.
When hanging from my neck like a necklace, I always put my strong arm through the sling.
Just the opposite of what you are saying.
I tried it with my AK a few minutes ago your way.
I can't decide if I like it or not?
LOL...
The only way to know is for me to go outside in the next couple days and try some live-fire that way and see what I think.

Your position looks like this, only left handed?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/3e444049.jpg

L1A1Rocker
11-11-2010, 02:53 AM
I've just finished watching the Magpul videos (volumes 1 and 2) on the carbine and have decided to go with the MS2 and the Magpul attachment plate - workes right or left and allowes for transition to either.

L1A1Rocker
11-11-2010, 02:59 AM
Magpul is about to come out with the MS3 sling, it has different clasps.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4121/09ms3.jpg

Bluedog
11-11-2010, 09:31 AM
NOW I get it!
Yep.
When hanging from my neck like a necklace, I always put my strong arm through the sling.
Just the opposite of what you are saying.
I tried it with my AK a few minutes ago your way.
I can't decide if I like it or not?
LOL...
The only way to know is for me to go outside in the next couple days and try some live-fire that way and see what I think.

Your position looks like this, only left handed?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/3e444049.jpg

Yep, just like that, except, as you know, I like the sling attached at the rear of the rail, just ahead of the receiver. It results in a shorter sling, so the carbine rides better in carry mode, and it's (the long end of the sling) out of the way.

Bluedog
11-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Swampy, there is another way to decide if you like it. Just wear it around the house for awhile. Seriously. Your family already thinks you are weird, so they won't care.