PDA

View Full Version : The rain is pouring down!

El Duce
06-23-2016, 07:56 PM
Barely made it home from work after picking up my daughter from a friends house. The county is under state of emergency. I live on the high ground. But looks like I won't be going to work in the morning. Roads closed. Going to be a mess for sure!

I just hope that we don't lose power. I do have a generator. I sure would hate to have to hook it up in the rain. But then again. I would rather do that than have a flooded basement! Sump pump has been running about every 20 minutes. Cross your fingers for me!

Schuetzenman
06-23-2016, 08:04 PM
WOW! We have a drought here and 90+ heat. Ironic, you're getting flooded and we are in drought mode here in GA.

imanaknut
06-23-2016, 08:15 PM
Wish I could send you some of our rain Scheutz. In the past week my area has gotten about a foot of rain. First rain dumped 4 inches, second left 3 and last night about another three. There were some smaller rainfalls between the dumps. About ready to take out stock on sump pumps. I have two that are running almost constantly.

Schuetzenman
06-23-2016, 08:17 PM
Wow again!

imanaknut
06-23-2016, 08:21 PM
TV reported we have virtually the whole summer's worth of rain in the last 10 days with more storms forecast in the next couple of days.

When the sun comes out, it is a real sauna. Temps in the high 80s low 90s. The type of weather you can just stand still and start sweating.

But it sure beats our winters!!!

alismith
06-23-2016, 09:16 PM
Globull warmins at its best....

jet3534
06-23-2016, 10:06 PM
Barely made it home from work after picking up my daughter from a friends house. The county is under state of emergency. I live on the high ground. But looks like I won't be going to work in the morning. Roads closed. Going to be a mess for sure!

I just hope that we don't lose power. I do have a generator. I sure would hate to have to hook it up in the rain. But then again. I would rather do that than have a flooded basement! Sump pump has been running about every 20 minutes. Cross your fingers for me!

If my memory is correct you live near Greenbrier. I have a daughter-in-law who is from Richwood. She has been staying at her parents for an extended visit due to my son being deployed to Iraq. She had to flee Richwood today with her two children and mother due to the flood and evacuation order. Her father refused to evacuate. The house was destroyed. Status of the father is unknown as of this evening. In addition to the town being flooded they were hit by a major tornado today.

JTHunter
06-23-2016, 11:29 PM
Try sending some of that rain to St. Louis!! We're over 4" low on rain already and we have had real temps in the upper 90s for 9 of the last 10 days (Heat indices 105-110).
Some of the ground cracks are 3/4" wide already!

Schuetzenman
06-24-2016, 06:23 AM
If my memory is correct you live near Greenbrier. I have a daughter-in-law who is from Richwood. She has been staying at her parents for an extended visit due to my son being deployed to Iraq. She had to flee Richwood today with her two children and mother due to the flood and evacuation order. Her father refused to evacuate. The house was destroyed. Status of the father is unknown as of this evening. In addition to the town being flooded they were hit by a major tornado today.

That doesn't sound good!

skorpion
06-24-2016, 07:54 AM
If my memory is correct you live near Greenbrier. I have a daughter-in-law who is from Richwood. She has been staying at her parents for an extended visit due to my son being deployed to Iraq. She had to flee Richwood today with her two children and mother due to the flood and evacuation order. Her father refused to evacuate. The house was destroyed. Status of the father is unknown as of this evening. In addition to the town being flooded they were hit by a major tornado today.Hopefully he's okay. There is a search underway for a 4-year-old who was swept away in the flood waters.

skorpion
06-24-2016, 07:56 AM

I just hope that we don't lose power. I do have a generator. I sure would hate to have to hook it up in the rain. But then again. I would rather do that than have a flooded basement! Sump pump has been running about every 20 minutes. Cross your fingers for me!Glad you live in the hills and that you will be alright. It's weather like this that stops me from ever wanting a home in a valley or next to a river.

El Duce
06-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Holy Crap. Rained and rained. Lost power last night around 11 pm. Got up, checked the basement. There was a little water. Got up again at 4 called work. They were still open. Told me that the roads were ok. Yeah right. Called back at 5 30 am and told them that I would be late. Did my darndest to get the generator started. No use/luck. Went to lowes. Thankfully they were open.

Bought a new 5200 watt gen. Old one is from 2000 and probably can be fixed. But not today.

Got to work at 11. Looked like a war zone in Caldwell. Had to turn around and get on the highway from 219. Got to work. No power. Crap. Stayed there for about an hour. Tired to get to Virginia to get some more gas. Can't get on the high way in White Sulphur. Finally get home. See what folks have been posting on facebook. Holy Crap.

The devastation in Caldwell and White Sulphur. Unbelievable. No work tomorrow. Looks like JJ has decided to shut down the place for a week or so. After seeing some of the damage there. I really doubt that the course is going to be ready for the PGA.

Thank GOD I got my Daughter yesterday. White sulfur flooded. Houses gone, roads and bridges really messed up.

Power just came back on here about a half hour ago. 24 hours before schedule. Thank God all is ok here. Lots of friends lost a lot. 17 reported dead so far. Expected to climb. Well all that in a nuchshell.

ltorlo64
06-24-2016, 07:03 PM

Any updates? Did they find the father?

ltorlo64
06-24-2016, 07:08 PM
Holy Crap. Rained and rained. Lost power last night around 11 pm. Got up, checked the basement. There was a little water. Got up again at 4 called work. They were still open. Told me that the roads were ok. Yeah right. Called back at 5 30 am and told them that I would be late. Did my darndest to get the generator started. No use/luck. Went to lowes. Thankfully they were open.

Bought a new 5200 watt gen. Old one is from 2000 and probably can be fixed. But not today.

Got to work at 11. Looked like a war zone in Caldwell. Had to turn around and get on the highway from 219. Got to work. No power. Crap. Stayed there for about an hour. Tired to get to Virginia to get some more gas. Can't get on the high way in White Sulphur. Finally get home. See what folks have been posting on facebook. Holy Crap.

The devastation in Caldwell and White Sulphur. Unbelievable. No work tomorrow. Looks like JJ has decided to shut down the place for a week or so. After seeing some of the damage there. I really doubt that the course is going to be ready for the PGA.

Thank GOD I got my Daughter yesterday. White sulfur flooded. Houses gone, roads and bridges really messed up.

Power just came back on here about a half hour ago. 24 hours before schedule. Thank God all is ok here. Lots of friends lost a lot. 17 reported dead so far. Expected to climb. Well all that in a nuchshell.

For so much devastation there is very little in the news about it. I have heard a little but not as much as I would think with 17 dead. Stay safe.

jet3534
06-24-2016, 10:14 PM
Any updates? Did they find the father?

Thanks for asking. I don't know his exact health status but he is alive. This is a man who is partially disabled from being wounded in Vietnam and agent orange exposure so that added to the concern. My wife tried to talk to the daughter-in-law via phone but she was in such a distraught emotional state that it was difficult to get a lot of specific information.

El Duce
06-25-2016, 06:08 AM
Here is a slide show with some pictures from the flooding. It is unreal.

http://www.wvva.com/story/32280965/2016/06/22/slideshow-flash-flooding-damage-in-summers-and-tazewell-counties

El Duce
06-26-2016, 06:15 PM
Spent the day working in White Sulphur with a team called Mercy Chef's. They brought in a mobile kitchen and walk in fridgerator. We made about 800 meals today. Partnered with a local church we helped distribute food, clothes and water to anyone who needed it.

Hobe Sound AK
06-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Long as I remember! Rain been coming Down!

El Duce
06-26-2016, 06:51 PM
This was a thousand year flood. Weather report says we are going to get hit again.

http://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=9ccdd3695927a5a5&hl=en&gl=US&source=web

coppertales
06-26-2016, 09:16 PM
Glad you are ok. I just realized the flooding is in your neck of the woods. Stay safe.

alismith
06-26-2016, 09:56 PM
Here is a slide show with some pictures from the flooding. It is unreal.

http://www.wvva.com/story/32280965/2016/06/22/slideshow-flash-flooding-damage-in-summers-and-tazewell-counties

Damn.

El Duce
06-27-2016, 05:24 AM
Death toll is about 25

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/flooding-death-toll-climbs-in-west-virginia/

One of the kids from Band is among the deceased. He was also a member of the JROTC.

Altarboy
06-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Jeez. Be careful Dude.

El Duce
06-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Got back a little bit ago from helping out with Mercy Chef's again. We had to wrap it up as it started raining hard. Flash flood warnings all day. Though it is sunny now. Time to take a rest. Normally a 15 minute drive took close to two hours.

Schuetzenman
06-27-2016, 05:38 PM
Be safe.

El Duce
06-28-2016, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys. Spent the day again working with Mercy Chef's Fed a ton of people. We are near the landing zone for the Black Hawk helicopters. Tired. But time well spent today. The hotel is closed, so burning up vacation time. A friend of my wife's brought up a culinary team from North Carolina. We were rocking it out!

Just for the volunteers we fed 450 people. Two meals. This does not include the walk ups and folks taking good hot food for their families. Going to do it again tomorrow.

alismith
06-28-2016, 10:31 PM
It rained hard here today. I think this was part of the storm that hit WV earlier. I got 1.74 inches, but about 20 miles away, they got over 8 inches in less than 14 hrs. What saved us was we live on flat land and don't get torrential floods. Our area had some problems with trees falling over due to saturated ground, and locally flooded roads.

Keep safe over there.

El Duce
07-02-2016, 05:39 PM
I finished out today with cooking in the next town. And I thought that it was bad in WSS. The town of Rainelle was hit really hard. It is about a half hour drive from me. These folks along the road were emptying their houses into the streets. National Guard was everywhere. It's been a long week. I am still out of work due to the flooding. Thankfully my vacation time renewed in February. So I am burning that up. Tired. We fed upwards of a thousand people a day between breakfast, lunch and dinner. It really was a humbling experience.

alismith
07-02-2016, 06:12 PM
I finished out today with cooking in the next town. And I thought that it was bad in WSS. The town of Rainelle was hit really hard. It is about a half hour drive from me. These folks along the road were emptying their houses into the streets. National Guard was everywhere. It's been a long week. I am still out of work due to the flooding. Thankfully my vacation time renewed in February. So I am burning that up. Tired. We fed upwards of a thousand people a day between breakfast, lunch and dinner. It really was a humbling experience.

It's people like you that make surviving disasters survivable. Thank-you for your unselfish and caring service. :thumbsup:

El Duce
07-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Earlier today the body of a missing woman was found on the hotel property. Another was just found on the Greenbrier river along the river trail.

http://www.wvva.com/story/32362698/2016/07/02/another-body-recovered-in-greenbrier-county#.V3hffVE5Sqc.facebook

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?avis=CH&date=20160701&category=GZ01&lopenr=160709917&Ref=AR

El Duce
07-03-2016, 06:31 AM
http://www.wvva.com/story/32359578/2016/07/01/local-hero-in-white-sulphur-springs