PDA

View Full Version : GunsNet standby server build / Failover this weekend 8/20

gunsnetadmin
08-19-2016, 09:27 AM
This weekend I'm going to build the Standby server and then fail over to it. I'll shut the forum off for new posts/replies, it'll be in view only mode. Then I'll take it offline for a few minutes while I switch over to the other server.

Take the time to go outside to make sure the sun is still yellow... then you may return to your bunkers.

Thanks

l921428x
08-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Well thanks for the H/U. Our Sun is still yellow but you need to notice the subtle change in the light
and for the first time in 3 months there is a coolness in the breeze. Subtle but there.
The Sun is now an hour earlier in the set time. Autumn is really close.

ltorlo64
08-20-2016, 07:41 AM
Thanks! Go outside and see the sunshine! You are too funny!

gunsnetadmin
08-20-2016, 07:53 PM
Ok, I *didnt* fail over to the standby server, but did a test on something I wanted to do.

What I did do:

(Standard stuff I do) --> Rebuild the Standby Server drives, so if GN takes a dump, I have a fully bootable system we can fail over to. If people make posts, we'd lose those posts until I go to my hourly backups and manually write some SQL code to recover posts.

Shut down GN main server, open up the case and blow out the dust with my air compressor, take drives out, clean connectors.

Test:
Yank out main drive, boot off of mirror, working great.

The purpose of the test is because I'm going to buy new drives and am going to replace the GN main drives since they've been up pretty much 24/7 (well, I do swap them out, but still..they are old).