PDA

View Full Version : Drinking and Home Defense

NAPOTS
07-18-2010, 10:06 PM
This topic has crossed my mind lately.

On weekends I like to have a few beers, ok sometimes more than a few. I know a lot of us enjoy a drink on occasion.

So say you drink some beers/ have a few glasses of your favorite drink on a Friday night. By bed time you are a bit tipsy. An hour later you hear a noise and out of instinct grab the shotgun and go check it out. If its a burglar, what do you?

My thought is if you are put in a life or death situation you are kinda f*cked. If you don't take the shot then you are a dead man. If you do take the shot the cops are going to show up, and if they smell alcohol on your breath they are probably going to put it in the report and even worse if they give you a breathilizer your BAC is going to be in the report. I think the burglar's family is going to have a field day at your expense. Of if you happen to live in a state which has a hardon against people defending their homes the DA is going to go after you.

Am I the only one who has thought of this? What do you guys think?

Obviously the easy answer is don't drink, or at most have one or two beers.

RJ Shooter
07-18-2010, 10:16 PM
...thus another reason I don't drink. ;)

mriddick
07-18-2010, 10:20 PM
My belief is a clean shot is a clean shot, a bad shot will always be a bad shot.

ready
07-18-2010, 10:21 PM
That's not something that I would concern myself with. A good shoot is a good shoot no matter what your condition. Now if it's not a good shoot or someone besides the bad guy gets hurt, now you're f'ed. Consider the alternative.

crapshoot
07-18-2010, 10:27 PM

I don't think I've ever shot a a gun without pounding a few cold ones first.

ltorlo64
07-18-2010, 10:38 PM

Second that!

L1A1Rocker
07-18-2010, 10:40 PM
"What officer?" "Yes, I did need something to calm my nerves after the incident, why do you ask?

But actually answere is "I'm sorry officer, my nerves are so shot. I'm just too upset to speak right now" And you REMAIN so untill you lawyer shows up. You did call your lawyer right? You do have his/her emergancy number right?

AKTexas
07-18-2010, 10:47 PM
"What officer?" "Yes, I did need something to calm my nerves after the incident, why do you ask?

But actually answere is "I'm sorry officer, my nerves are so shot. I'm just too upset to speak right now" And you REMAIN so untill you lawyer shows up. You did call your lawyer right? You do have his/her emergancy number right?

Best advice.Shut the hell up and let your lawyer do the talking.

remy1492
07-18-2010, 11:20 PM
I turn on my motion sensor Aliens Mini-guns while I drink. I let them do all the work.

L1A1Rocker
07-18-2010, 11:22 PM
I turn on my motion sensor Aliens Mini-guns while I drink. I let them do all the work.

Hey Remy. Great to see you made it!!!

skorpion
07-18-2010, 11:27 PM
+1000

ubersoldate
07-18-2010, 11:52 PM

Another non drinker here as well.

Broondog
07-19-2010, 12:22 AM
i don't drink anymore but if i did this situation would not be a legal problem in my state of Missouri.

the Castle Doctrine revisions Gov. Nixon just signed into law removes the violation of possession of a firearm while intoxicated if the reason is for self defense.

571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(5) [Possesses or discharges a firearm or projectile weapon while intoxicated] Has a firearm or projectile weapon readily capable of lethal use on his or her person, while he or she is intoxicated, and handles or otherwise uses such firearm or projectile weapon in either a negligent or unlawful manner or discharges such firearm or projectile weapon unless acting in self-defense;
http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills101/biltxt/truly/HB1692T.HTM

out on the streets it might be difficult to prove self defense, but in my own home in the middle of the night i believe i would be good to go......if i was drunk that is. :D

swampdragon
07-19-2010, 12:47 AM
Hell man, I'm drinkin' right NOW....and we are only "talking" about shooting a bad guy.

El Jefe
07-19-2010, 10:42 AM
i don't drink anymore but if i did this situation would not be a legal problem in my state of Missouri.

the Castle Doctrine revisions Gov. Nixon just signed into law removes the violation of possession of a firearm while intoxicated if the reason is for self defense.

http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills101/biltxt/truly/HB1692T.HTM

out on the streets it might be difficult to prove self defense, but in my own home in the middle of the night i believe i would be good to go......if i was drunk that is. :D

Yep, if the bad guy is on your property you should be okay, but just to be safe you'd best lawyer up after the event.

Moebrown20
07-19-2010, 11:24 AM
The saying goes: "I rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6."

The first 2 Miranda warnings:
You have the right to remain silent. <<<<< means shut the hell up
Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. <<<<<< this will happen when you don't shut up.

What would it mean to me.....
Shoot first
Call 911
Call lawyer.
Check for injuries(if you were shot at or attacked)
Have seat.
Cops show up, give small statement and let lawyer do rest.

Paladin
07-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Should you need to use lethal force to stop the wrongful and felonious actions of another to keep yourself or some other innocent from being killed or permanently maimed because you believe that person is capable and intends to do so;

Call 911 and request assistance (be brief, do not describe the shooting, describe yourself and your location in the home) and hang up.

Call the attorney you have on retainer (should be the same one used by law enforcement in your area should they need private representation for the use of their side arms in the line of duty).

Have a short drink (you will tell your attorney you had a shot to steady your nerves after the shooting, but do not deny having a drink earlier).

Politely inform the police that you require your attorney to be present before you can say anything else.

Then shut up! And remember, "It is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6".

At least this is my opinion.

Paladin
07-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot....

I would also have a chew. That would be 3 for 3; alcohol, tobacco, and firearms.

(When I was a kid I wanted to work for ATF. Man, I was reeeeealy disappointed when I found out what these people did for a living.)

Mark Ducati
07-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Here in Georgia we have "castle doctrine"... if an intruder is in your home at night, you've got every right to shoot them... my only concern about drinking would be sleeping too deeply and waking up to a noise/bump in the night... and one more concern, would you be more inclined to shoot a silohuette in the dark? Sober or not, you'd better know your target... you wouldn't want to shoot a family member.

Paladin
07-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Here in Georgia we have "castle doctrine"... if an intruder is in your home at night, you've got every right to shoot them... my only concern about drinking would be sleeping too deeply and waking up to a noise/bump in the night... and one more concern, would you be more inclined to shoot a silohuette in the dark? Sober or not, you'd better know your target... you wouldn't want to shoot a family member.

...includes immunity from civil prosecution. http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2005_06/fulltext/sb396.htm

Krupski
07-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Hey! RJ! Long time no see!

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Keep some cocaine next to your bed. It will sober you right up.

Better yet, a glass of milk laced with synthemesc, or my personal favorite, Drencrome, will sharpen you right up.

abpt1
07-20-2010, 12:41 PM

On weekends I like to have a few beers, ok sometimes more than a few. I know a lot of us enjoy a drink on occasion.

So say you drink some beers/ have a few glasses of your favorite drink on a Friday night. By bed time you are a bit tipsy. An hour later you hear a noise and out of instinct grab the shotgun and go check it out. If its a burglar, what do you?

My thought is if you are put in a life or death situation you are kinda f*cked. If you don't take the shot then you are a dead man. If you do take the shot the cops are going to show up, and if they smell alcohol on your breath they are probably going to put it in the report and even worse if they give you a breathilizer your BAC is going to be in the report. I think the burglar's family is going to have a field day at your expense. Of if you happen to live in a state which has a hardon against people defending their homes the DA is going to go after you.

http://www.sustainableoutdoors.com.au/wp-content/gallery/grasstree/grass-tree-hole.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/abpt1/197_profile_img1_labatts.jpg

All jokes aside no firearms when I am drinking..If someone came here to start trouble while I am drinking it will not end well ...with out the use of guns .

Paladin
07-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Drencrome, will sharpen you right up.

Ah yes. Adrenochrome, direct from the Korova Milk Bar (Hunter S. Thompson approved).

abpt1
07-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Btw I have only had like 12-15 beers in the last three month's . No liqueur since November !

Paladin
07-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Btw I have only had like 12-15 beers in the last three month's . No liqueur since November !

Yeah, sobriety is a wonderful thing. I'm an old guy and used to drink waaaayyyy too much. The Doc said I have to leave it alone now. I schedule one drunk a year (lasts for a close to a week) at a particular reunion.

But when I take the Missus out I always remember the old saying, "candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker"...

O.S.O.K.
07-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Sounds like the perfect excuse not to get that next beer... ;)

:cheers:

abpt1
07-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Yeah, sobriety is a wonderful thing. I'm an old guy and used to drink waaaayyyy too much. The Doc said I have to leave it alone now. I schedule one drunk a year (lasts for a close to a week) at a particular reunion.

But when I take the Missus out I always remember the old saying, "candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker"...
yeah getting smashed is not really fun anymore anyway it hurts for days now ......
My one drunk a year is one night and one night only... but it cost me way too much this year:embarrassed: So no more of that..

a beer buzz now and then will do . :thumbsup:

slamfire51
07-21-2010, 07:37 AM
Uh......do breathalyzers register excessive milk and Oreo intake? Hope not!!

I quit drinking alcohol 15 yrs ago.

American Rage
07-21-2010, 03:45 PM

Ummm, why did you go outside again?

I think the smarter thing to do would be to take up a defensive position in your home. Then I'd call the cops and have them "check out the noise." It's their job and will save you a lot of future greif. OTOH, if the a-hole breaches you domicile, you should be prepared to defend yourself at that time. And the best way is to ambush the asshole. Think about it. You know every nook and cranny of your home. You should be able to easily choose a spot from which to insure the threat is stopped, so to speak. 12 gauges are perfect for this type of work.

I personally don't get so drunk as to fuck up with firearms. Of course, there was a time in my youth.......;)

Rage

NAPOTS
07-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Ummm, why did you go outside again?

I think the smarter thing to do would be to take up a defensive position in your home. Then I'd call the cops and have them "check out the noise." It's their job and will save you a lot of future greif. OTOH, if the a-hole breaches you domicile, you should be prepared to defend yourself at that time. And the best way is to ambush the asshole. Think about it. You know every nook and cranny of your home. You should be able to easily choose a spot from which to insure the threat is stopped, so to speak. 12 gauges are perfect for this type of work.

I personally don't get so drunk as to fuck up with firearms. Of course, there was a time in my youth.......;)

Rage

I wouldn't go outside in this state as that's bad ju ju. But I would clear the house and check the garage.

TEN-32
07-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Last time I checked it was legal to drink alcohol in your own fucking home. Whats NOT legal is to break in to said home without permission for the purpose of committing a felony therein. If you are in a tavern and carrying...may be a different spin on things.

swampdragon
07-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Believe it or not, even in these days, we still have cattle and horse rustlers in this area.
Coyotes packs too.
I go outside sometimes too.
And when I do, drinkin' or not, I take my AK with a tac light.

abpt1
07-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Believe it or not, even in these days, we still have cattle and horse rustlers in this area.
Coyotes packs too.
I go outside sometimes too.
And when I do, drinkin' or not, I take my AK with a tac light.
Really like to steal a cow ? WTF is that shit ....lucky your not in the getto you could come out to a jacked up shoeless horse lol j/k

JTHunter
07-21-2010, 11:51 PM

Hhmm, considering that I have never needed to have a shyster "on call", - - - -.

sniper_n_training
07-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Best advice.Shut the hell up and let your lawyer do the talking.

This

swampdragon
07-22-2010, 02:59 AM
Really like to steal a cow ? WTF is that shit ....lucky your not in the getto you could come out to a jacked up shoeless horse lol j/k

I'm serious man. For real!
Cattle and horses are BIG business in these parts.
In just cattle alone...where do you think all them steaks and burgers come from for you city folks?
Rustlers have just gone higher tech these days.
They have NOT disappeared.

abpt1
07-22-2010, 07:04 AM
In just cattle alone...where do you think all them steaks and burgers come from for you city folks?

No shit I always wondered where the guys selling steaks out of the back of the truck got the meat ...? No I never bought any just FYI .

NAPOTS
07-22-2010, 07:46 AM
No shit I always wondered where the guys selling steaks out of the back of the truck got the meat ...? No I never bought any just FYI .

Long Pork?

American Rage
07-22-2010, 03:07 PM

Yes, it is big business in flyover country. Did you ever think about turnin' your dogs out on "the noise?" Traditionally, a man was allowed to defend his "property." The more property, the more to defend, the more right to carry a weapon while checking out a "noise" outside of the house, especially shotguns and high powered rifles and such. There's always been leeway granted with real property.

However, in most big cities and even most suburbs, you're better off callin' the cops. If you live in BFE America, that's something different.

Still, I like to go on the defense, look, listen, and above all else think, send in the dogs, and then attack from a flank. ;)

Rage

HDR
07-22-2010, 07:59 PM
An hour later you hear a noise and out of instinct grab the shotgun and go check it out. If its a burglar, what do you?

I'd watch and shoot him if he tries to hurt puppy for chewing on him.

swampdragon
07-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Yes, it is big business in flyover country. Did you ever think about turnin' your dogs out on "the noise?" Traditionally, a man was allowed to defend his "property." The more property, the more to defend, the more right to carry a weapon while checking out a "noise" outside of the house, especially shotguns and high powered rifles and such. There's always been leeway granted with real property.

However, in most big cities and even most suburbs, you're better off callin' the cops. If you live in BFE America, that's something different.

Still, I like to go on the defense, look, listen, and above all else think, send in the dogs, and then attack from a flank. ;)

Rage

That's pretty much what happens here anyways.
Dog's shoot between my feet and are out the door before I am.
But, I'd never leave them to fend for themselves.
We are a team.

American Rage
07-22-2010, 09:51 PM
We are a team.

As it should be.

Rage

HDR
07-23-2010, 05:29 AM
We are a team.

Puppy likes to jump into the face to say this is our place so go away.

Puppy is 83 pounds.

Ditto, hurting puppy would be hazardous to one's health.

slamfire51
07-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Last night at 2:30, my "pooch" started raising Hell looking out the front door. I grabbed the AK and went to see what was going on.
The neighbors across the street sold their house and it's vacant at the moment. There's a Pod storage container in front of their house with some of the new owners possessions.
Anyway, there was a truck pulled up behind it and 2 guys were trying to open it. I called 911 to have the Sheriff check it out. A short time later 2 cars arrived and hauled their ass to jail.

My pooch, (aka Blockhead) has to be the most alert dog I've owned. Nothing goes on around my house or the neighbors without him being aware of it. Pity the guy who breaks in here. He a biting machine for sure.
He's a little guy, (150 lbs.hehehe), but the best.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/blockhead004.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/blockhead001.jpg

American Rage
07-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Slamfire, is your dog an American Bulldog? I can't tell the breed from the photos.

Rage

slamfire51
07-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Slamfire, is your dog an American Bulldog? I can't tell the breed from the photos.

Rage

I have no idea what this big ass cow is.
He's a show-up. He showed up one day and no one ever claimed him. I took him in, and glad I did.
I asked about his breed on another board and no one had a definitive answer. He's a mix of something BIG.
He's a big part of the family, especially at night. He keeps all the Boogey men away.

American Rage
07-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Looking at him, I'd guess he's got some American bulldog or mastiff in him.

rage

HDR
07-23-2010, 01:57 PM
slamfire51,
There's a few ways to say it.

http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/12399.jpg

or....

http://www.bobpazsignshop.com/images/ForgetDogBewareOwner747.jpg

now to see if that worked... lol

slamfire51
07-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Rage,
I'll accept that. So from now on I'll have an answer for whoever asks.

slamfire51
07-23-2010, 02:06 PM
slamfire51,
There's a few ways to say it.

http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/12399.jpg

or....

http://www.bobpazsignshop.com/images/ForgetDogBewareOwner747.jpg

now to see if that worked... lol

I need a sign that reverses the owner and the dog.:yeah:

NAPOTS
07-23-2010, 07:55 PM
I met a 130lb male Johnson type American Bulldog that had to have been one of the most intimidating animals I have ever seen. This dog looked like he was on steroids. I have a 60lb english bulldog that is a total pistol, at double the weight with his temperment hed be a real terror.

HDR
07-23-2010, 07:59 PM
I need a sign that reverses the owner and the dog.:yeah:

You're going to give the dog the gun?

Well, as long as he's passed a firearms safety course..

slamfire51
07-23-2010, 08:25 PM
You're going to give the dog the gun?

Well, as long as he's passed a firearms safety course..

I taught him everything about firearms. I'm making him a holster, IF I can find a belt large enough to wrap around him.
You guys just don't realize how massive and strong this dog is. Pics don't show it.

El Jefe
07-23-2010, 08:32 PM
I met a 130lb male Johnson type American Bulldog that had to have been one of the most intimidating animals I have ever seen. This dog looked like he was on steroids. I have a 60lb english bulldog that is a total pistol, at double the weight with his temperment hed be a real terror.

I was at my Uncles lake cabin a few years ago and a guy he knows dropped by to visit. Anyway the guy has a big Pressa Canario that made me damned near shit when it jumped out of his truck, that's one intimidating fricken dog. It ended up being pretty friendly, but dang it would keep anybody out of your yard.

slamfire51
07-23-2010, 08:35 PM
I was at my Uncles lake cabin a few years ago and a guy he knows dropped by to visit. Anyway the guy has a big Pressa Canario that made me damned near shit when it jumped out of his truck, that's one intimidating fricken dog. It ended up being pretty friendly, but dang it would keep anybody out of your yard.

I just Googled that breed........DAMN what a dog.

El Jefe
07-23-2010, 08:38 PM
I just Googled that breed........DAMN what a dog.

They're known for being loyal and protective of their "family". I'd like to have one but they're expensive.

El Jefe
07-23-2010, 08:40 PM
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canarydog.htm

slamfire51
07-23-2010, 08:45 PM
They're known for being loyal and protective of their "family". I'd like to have one but they're expensive.

I am suspicious of "family loyal" dogs now that a friend of mine and his wife were attacked by their loyal Pit Bull, sending both to the hospital. The dog just snapped in an instant.
It tore both of them up pretty bad, going for the neck of both.

If my dog ever snaps, all I can do is bend over and kiss my ass goodbye. There is no way in Hell I could keep him off me. (short of shooting him)

slamfire51
07-23-2010, 08:46 PM
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canarydog.htm

Damn, natural camouflage.
Those dogs ARE intimidating.

El Jefe
07-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Damn, natural camouflage.
Those dogs ARE intimidating.

From everything I've read they're not the type to turn on their master, they might eat your neighbor, but not you.