PDA

View Full Version : ALUMA-HYDE® II for my build?

abpt1
10-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Been thinking about doing my build barrel and receiver with this http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1117/Product/ALUMA_HYDE_reg__II
or maybe duracoat any one try this stuff ?

ubersoldate
10-20-2010, 11:06 PM
If you degrease, prep and bake afterwards, youll get a good end product.
Ive used it alot, and I liked it.
I use their coyote tan alot.

abpt1
10-21-2010, 05:45 AM
If you degrease, prep and bake afterwards, youll get a good end product.
Ive used it alot, and I liked it.
I use their coyote tan alot.

Cool I am going to give it a try !

gunnutz
10-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Make sure you open the windows!

Tx Dogblaster
11-10-2010, 10:21 PM
It's good stuff but all baking it does is speeds up the initial flash process. Alumahyde cures by a chemical process rather than evaporation of solvents as most paints do. Once it's fully cured it's great stuff!!!

Good to see you Uber... How's the Arizona scene treatin ya?

ubersoldate
11-10-2010, 10:30 PM
It's good stuff but all baking it does is speeds up the initial flash process. Alumahyde cures by a chemical process rather than evaporation of solvents as most paints do. Once it's fully cured it's great stuff!!!

Good to see you Uber... How's the Arizona scene treatin ya?

Good to see you as well my friend, I love AZ, had a blast, but it was getting time for my kids to start school, and there is no way Id let them go to public schools in Phoenix.
We got a smoking deal on a house to remodel on three acres, in northern california, so Ive been out here a few weeks!
Loving the seasons, and living in the sticks...
Hell even then gun laws dont seem to be that bad where Im at..
How are you man? Whats new down Texas way?

Tx Dogblaster
11-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Good to see you as well my friend, I love AZ, had a blast, but it was getting time for my kids to start school, and there is no way Id let them go to public schools in Phoenix.
We got a smoking deal on a house to remodel on three acres, in northern california, so Ive been out here a few weeks!
Loving the seasons, and living in the sticks...
Hell even then gun laws dont seem to be that bad where Im at..
How are you man? Whats new down Texas way?

Not much new... Watchin the kids grow up too fast and spending WAY too much $$$. I checked out your pics on FB a few days ago (from Rusty or Ilia's wall...) The band looks great. I plan to download the album and check it out over the weekend!!!

ubersoldate
11-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Not much new... Watchin the kids grow up too fast and spending WAY too much $$$. I checked out your pics on FB a few days ago (from Rusty or Ilia's wall...) The band looks great. I plan to download the album and check it out over the weekend!!!

Nice man! Thanks for listening!
That was some fun shoots out there at Rustys!

stinker
02-17-2011, 12:39 AM
ALUMA-HYDE® II

Does that stuff work well on stainless steel?
I have a model 66 S&W i've been tossing the idea of finishing in some kind of flat black for a very long time but i'm a total noob on gun finishing and that seems a bit idiot proof at a glance. Thing has mild carrying wear so it would make it shiny and new loking again(relatively speaking)

This whole gun building/customization thing has me extremely intrigued the more i read.

Tx Dogblaster
02-17-2011, 12:27 PM
I would think that it would most likely need to be blasted first to give the metal some tooth for the paint to adhere to. Stainless can be tricky if it's not prepped right.

stinker
02-17-2011, 02:44 PM
So much for the idiot proof theory :laugh: