PDA

View Full Version : 47 Years Later, Finally out on Video.

Hobe Sound AK
10-17-2016, 05:52 PM
If you recall 1969's Movie, Alfred the Great, You recall a great Movie. David Hemmings as Alfred. and Michael York was fantastic as the Danish Chieftain. The true Story of England's only King ever to be called the Great. In the Year 871A.D. the 22 Year old Prince who would be Priest, was forced to become King, as his Older Brother was Dying. Like everyone, in History, this time it was Denmark who was invading England. However at this time it was not yet England! It was 5 separate Regions, the largest being Wessex. Alfred did not want to be King, he wanted to be a Priest. England for Centuries switched over from Protestant to Catholic, before finally becoming Protestant with the Death of Cornwallis. Very well done Movie, It disappeared after being released on T.V. in 1970-71. I saw it for sale on Critics Choice Video.com and got it. I had always though it was just the Vikings that Invaded England, but I guess they came later. He is known as the Great, for a United Country, afterwards

5.56NATO
10-17-2016, 06:15 PM
Will have to see that one. I loved this one as a kid;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromwell_(film)
It's English history in a similar vein and the same 70s film era, packed with epic English actors.

T2K
10-18-2016, 11:00 AM
I think you mean Cromwell, not Cornwallis (18th century British figure).

Hobe Sound AK
10-18-2016, 04:08 PM
Yes you are Right! I did mean Cromwell. Thanks

alismith
10-19-2016, 06:43 AM
The Romans invaded present-day England before the Vikings did. That's why Hadrian's Wall was built - to keep the Barbarians from invading the Roman controlled territory.