PDA

View Full Version : The List (Discussion thread)

Zoff12
07-18-2010, 10:35 PM
In keeping with what Swampy has done with Land Navigation 101...

To use Swampy's words (a bit)...

This will be the discussion thread for any and all questions, comments, concerns, observations, suggestions, etc....for The List (http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?217-The-List) "Sticky."

The Sticky is meant to be a "class" so to speak.
You read through it and you should be OK.

All discussions will take place here so as to not completely clutter up the official Sticky in case someone wants to download it.
I will continue to add more to the Sticky as we progress in that subject.
Make sense?
:thumbsup:

AKTexas
07-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Great list.After reading it,surprisingly I have many of those things in my shed and on hand.Thanks!

Zoff12
07-19-2010, 12:43 PM
I found I had alot of it as well.

Paladin
07-27-2010, 04:41 PM
I found I had alot of it as well.

Good list. Thanks. The comments on hygiene are so true. I lived remotely in the Alaskan Interior for a while and learned some things the hard way. Even if you don't have laundry powder, it works well to just soak your clothes in a mild chlorine solution ever so often...

Permethian is on my list.

Paladin
07-27-2010, 04:45 PM
I've been using Walton Feeds for a lot of long term food storage. http://waltonfeed.com/category/2

renegadebuck
08-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Great list. One thing missing was tube grease. You'll need it, it's cheap and easy to store.

swampdragon
08-03-2010, 02:55 AM
Great list. One thing missing was tube grease. You'll need it, it's cheap and easy to store.

For machinery and equipment and stuff?

AKTexas
08-03-2010, 07:52 AM
For machinery and equipment and stuff?

Sure machinery and stuff lol.

Zoff12
08-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Can't believe I missed that. You talking about something like lithium grease?

Mac_Muz
08-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Zoff, the tools in post 3 and post 5 are all duplicates, which is confusing in the sticky list, and then I am not sure what you mean by 2 inch and 3 inch drive.

No one but a oil rigger needs tools with drives that big.

The basics are 1/4 inch drive, 3/8 inch drive and 1/2 inch drive, 3/4 inch drive is probably out side of a real need but a guy with a big truck might need that.

Check out these quotes. This is all a copy of what I don't understand and is duplicated.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................
¨ Breaker Bar [2" square drive flex handle, 14.5" - 19" long]
¨ Breaker Bar [d" square drive flex handle, 7" - 10" long]
¨ Chisel, Cold, Hand [3/4" wide, 5/8" hex size, 7" +/- .5" long]
¨ Chisel, Set, Wood [Include 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1-1/4"]
¨ Handle, Socket Wrench, Ratchet [d" square drive, 5.75" minimum length]
¨ Handle, Socket Wrench, Ratchet [3" square drive, 4.375" minimum length]
¨ Handle, Socket Wrench, Ratchet [2" square drive, 9.5" minimum length]
¨ Extension, Socket Wrench [2" square drive, 1.5" - 3.0" long]
¨ Extension, Socket Wrench [2" square drive, 9.5" - 10.5" long]
¨ Extension, Socket Wrench [2" square drive, 4.5" - 6.0" long]
¨ Extension, Socket Wrench [d" square drive, 2.5" - 3.5" long]
¨ Extension, Socket Wrench [d" square drive, 5.5" - 6.5" long]
¨ Extension, Socket Wrench [3" square drive, 5.5" - 6.5" long]
¨ Extension, Socket Wrench [3" square drive, 1.5" - 2.5" long]
¨ Socket Wrench, 2" SQ DR [include size 2, 9/16, e, 11/16, :, 13/16, f, 15/16, 1"; 12pt, standard length]
¨ Socket Wrench, 2" SQ DR [include size 12mm-13mm-14mm-15mm-16mm-17mm-18mm-19mm-21mm-22mm-24mm,6 or 12pt,standard]
¨ Socket Wrench, 3" SQ DR [include size 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8; 12pt, standard length]
¨ Socket Wrench, 3" SQ DR [include size 5mm-7mm-8mm-10mm; 6 or 12pt, standard length]
¨ Socket Wrench, d" SQ DR [include size 3/8, 7/16; 12pt, standard length]
¨ Socket Wrench, d" SQ DR [include size 10mm-11mm; 6 or 12pt, standard length]
¨ Socket, Universal Joint [2", 3", d" SQ DR]
¨ Adapter, Socket Wrench [2", 3", d" SQ DR]

Mac_Muz
08-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Uh oh, no torx, reverse torx, center pin torx and no SAE or metric allens, nasty little devil I am, but some things these days are just loaded with that type of fastener. Some of each of these are essencial these days, or changing the horrid little buggers out.

Lets us add anti sieze to the list too. Didn't see it. I would prefer molibdinumdisulfide grease to most any if all I could have was one.:wondering:

Zoff12
08-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Those sizes are typos. Not everything transferred correctly. It should be 1/2", 1/4", and 3/8" drive.

Mac_Muz
08-04-2010, 08:22 PM
I kinda figured it was some wild glitch or a typo, but for all I know you are a oil rigger, and have the idea folks need 2 inch drive for something.

Ol Dirty Bastard
08-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Great list! I don't even know how much time it took me to read every word of that. I was playing an online poker tournament, and reading at the same time. The tournament lasted 6hrs & 27mins and I finished reading about 30mins before I went out. Mind you I was walking away from PC, distracted by the game etc. Still a good read, & thanks for posting.

I especially like the food storage plan, and the realistic approach. Though I've had bad experiences with long term storage of wheat in 50# bags and wheat grain beetles. I'm assuming it wouldn't be on the list if it wasn't doable, so I'll just research and see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Zoff12
08-15-2010, 08:39 PM
The grains are possible so long as you take out the oxygen. Use air-tight sealable containers filled with nitrogen to displace the oxygen... drop in an oxygen absorber for what remains... viola... no oxygen... no life. lol

blobman
08-15-2010, 09:27 PM
better put in the 223vs556 and 762vs308 info :read:

Citizen Pain
08-15-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't get it, is this a list to live like a hermit/shut-in and not leave the house? If so, you may want to also stock up on huge 2 quart bell jars to store the 300+ days of urine and huge dumps you take on your 2000cal./day wheat and cream of mushroom soup diet... just kidding... sort of.

Ol Dirty Bastard
08-16-2010, 01:42 PM
The grains are possible so long as you take out the oxygen. Use air-tight sealable containers filled with nitrogen to displace the oxygen... drop in an oxygen absorber for what remains... viola... no oxygen... no life. lol

I've had good success storing oats & rice for long perods of time, but the wheat was a problem. I haven't tried removing oxygen though. Do you actually do this, have pitures? Any direction to a good read with more information on the subject?

Paladin
08-16-2010, 04:16 PM
I've had good success storing oats & rice for long perods of time, but the wheat was a problem. I haven't tried removing oxygen though. Do you actually do this, have pitures? Any direction to a good read with more information on the subject?

DOB, I seal up a bunch of wheat at once. Get some nitrogen in a small tank and some flexible tubing. Lay the tubing in the pail so the end is at the bottom. Fill with wheat. Drop an 02 absorber on top (you'll only need one). Put the lid on so's the thing is sealed but for just where the tubing is. Crack the valve and light your zippo (or whatever) where the tubing enters the pail. When the lighter goes out, near all the O2 is gone. Pull the tubing and seal the lid the rest of the way. Good to go...

Ol Dirty Bastard
08-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks, I found what I was looking for.

Zoff12
08-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Some decent info... http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FN-371.pdf

DOB, I seal up a bunch of wheat at once. Get some nitrogen in a small tank and some flexible tubing. Lay the tubing in the pail so the end is at the bottom. Fill with wheat. Drop an 02 absorber on top (you'll only need one). Put the lid on so's the thing is sealed but for just where the tubing is. Crack the valve and light your zippo (or whatever) where the tubing enters the pail. When the lighter goes out, near all the O2 is gone. Pull the tubing and seal the lid the rest of the way. Good to go...
That is the way we did it.