PDA

View Full Version : This seems to be a deal for freeze- dried food........

cciota
10-22-2010, 02:31 PM
I just picked up this from Costco to add to my emergency food supplies:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11539429&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|3605&N=4040913&Mo=30&No=5&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=75277&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Seems like a good price and it's from the company that makes Mountain House products. Every little bit helps and thought I would pass it on.

El Jefe
10-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Hmmm....... it says that it yields 302 servings, so that's less than a dollar per.

I also noticed our local Walmarts are carring Mountain House meals now........ in the hunting section of the store.

O.S.O.K.
10-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Shelf Life is 25 years if unoppened. Wow.

I am going to order this too - thank you! It will make a good addition to the emergency food supply. I wouldn't want to rely on this exclusively - I've done my fair share of backpacking and eating rehydrated food - some is pretty good but a lot of it is just "acceptable" - which is fine when you are hungry...

Thanks for posting!

http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/528480.jpg

HDR
10-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Shelf Life is 25 years if unoppened. Wow.

Until the can is opened.. I figure after two people eat 17 servings of scrambled eggs and ham; they will be tired of it.. No matter if it was the old C-rations or the current issue it is the same with military chow.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/528/CrationCan.jpg

This was the best use for some c-rats cans. lol

There are a few Europeans where I work and they are Costco shoppers because of the lack of additives in the meat, pork and poultry. In many European nations additives are illegal. Some banned bleached flour..

O.S.O.K.
10-25-2010, 08:30 PM
You wouldn't need to eat it straight until gone... c'mon :)

Besides, I'll have more than two people - and this will be for emergency... which means you are thankful for what you have...

El Jefe
10-26-2010, 10:06 AM
What are the Mountain House meals really like to eat? Are they bland, does one notice any gastric side effects when eating them?

I remember back in the day I used to go hiking and camping with a buddy of mine named Rod, his Dad had like a whole room full of c-rats and he would always bring a duffle bag full of them. The first few times I went along and ate them, but I didn't really care for them and if you ate many of them I noticed the bowels didn't like them either. I've read that MRE's are even worse as far as giving the uninitiated problems. I'd hate to think I'd have to walk through the bush for a few days while all stopped up. :dammit:

jjeez
10-26-2010, 10:14 AM
this looks interesting...

HDR
10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
You wouldn't need to eat it straight until gone... c'mon :)

I'm curious how long the contents last after the can is opened and too lazy to pull the boxes out and look. LOL

and this will be for emergency... which means you are thankful for what you have...

No matter if you get lost in the woods or a blizzard cuts you off from the "world" one of the first rules of survival is to inventory what you have.

Lessons on being thankful and the reasons why aren't a need here.

Mark Ducati
10-28-2010, 10:47 AM
THANK YOU for the tip on this place...

I've been buying freeze dried mountain house food over the last few years here and there... this is the singularly BEST deal I've ever come across!

Click on the "next product" button too to see the rest of what they have to offer... food for a year for $999 where the other guys are almost 3-4X for the same amount of freeze dried food.

cciota
10-28-2010, 11:00 AM
THANK YOU for the tip on this place...

I've been buying freeze dried mountain house food over the last few years here and there... this is the singularly BEST deal I've ever come across!

Click on the "next product" button too to see the rest of what they have to offer... food for a year for $999 where the other guys are almost 3-4X for the same amount of freeze dried food.

No problem. That's what we are here for.

The Thrive products are pretty good also. But their stuff is single item freeze dried food: corn, beef, chicken...not combination meals.

O.S.O.K.
10-28-2010, 02:46 PM
"Thrive"... that sounds like a brand of cat food :lool:

L1A1Rocker
10-28-2010, 03:01 PM

Looks like they've got a lot of different packages. Not too sure that their seed starter kits are all that great though.

az_paul
10-30-2010, 12:53 AM
That is a good deal. We'll be heading to Costco in Las Vegas soon, and might pick up on this deal. Thanks for the post!!

HDR
11-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Costco is great.

Every home ought to be able to go a couple of weeks off the grid.

El Jefe
11-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Costco is great.

Every home ought to be able to go a couple of weeks off the grid.

Yes, due to weather events if nothing else.