PDA

View Full Version : .223 Remington load recipe

O.S.O.K.
10-22-2010, 04:30 PM
I just finished loading 200 rounds - I loaded this in some once-fired PMP brass. This will be a one-time reload for this brass as it's kinda soft.

The load is 26.5 Grains of Winchester 748, CCI-41 small rifle primers (milspec), 55 grain fmj boat tail Federal bullets. OCL is 2.255" and velocity around 3100 fps.

I tested it in one of my AR's and it shot into an inch at 100 - which is kind of my standard - an inch or better. I also tested 27.0 grains of W748 but the 26.5 shot better by a small margin.

I like the W748 as its a ball powder and drops from the powder measure very consistently. It also fills the case almost to the mouth but does settle to the base of the neck when you tap the loading block. 100% fill though - which I like.

If I were doing this from scratch today, I'd be buying SS109 bullets but since I have 2000 of these Federal 55 grain and another 1000 of another brand of 55 grain, this will be the load until I work through those bullets.

After priming the first 20 on the press (RCBS Rockchucker) - like I've always done, I decided to go ahead and finally pop for a hand primer - decided on the RCBS model. Worked great once I got it set up. You can really feel the primer seating better. It's also a good hand exersizer :)

Anyway, thought I'd share this information.

arcangel
04-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the recipe, although I will be using Hornady's 55 gr projectile, ordered 400 the other day and waiting on it still, also will be using LC 556 brass.

NAPOTS
10-14-2011, 08:11 AM
what do you do to get rid of the military crimp? Do you cut it with a primer pocket reamer?

Schuetzenman
10-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Be careful of Winchester 748 powder, it changes speed with temperature. You load it hot in cool weather, you might get a head separation or worse. You should look at Accurate 2460 or 2520. The 2520 can also be used in .308 / 7.62 NATO and is a better choice if you are going to do heavier than 62 gr. bullets, though it can be used for 62's. The 2460 is good up to 77 gr. bullets. All are ball powders so they will meter good for you like the 748.

NAPOTS
10-14-2011, 06:39 PM
how do you feel about Varget?

abpt1
10-14-2011, 07:45 PM
I just finished loading 200 rounds - I loaded this in some once-fired PMP brass. This will be a one-time reload for this brass as it's kinda soft.

The load is 26.5 Grains of Winchester 748, CCI-41 small rifle primers (milspec), 55 grain fmj boat tail Federal bullets. OCL is 2.255" and velocity around 3100 fps.

I tested it in one of my AR's and it shot into an inch at 100 - which is kind of my standard - an inch or better. I also tested 27.0 grains of W748 but the 26.5 shot better by a small margin.

I like the W748 as its a ball powder and drops from the powder measure very consistently. It also fills the case almost to the mouth but does settle to the base of the neck when you tap the loading block. 100% fill though - which I like.

If I were doing this from scratch today, I'd be buying SS109 bullets but since I have 2000 of these Federal 55 grain and another 1000 of another brand of 55 grain, this will be the load until I work through those bullets.

After priming the first 20 on the press (RCBS Rockchucker) - like I've always done, I decided to go ahead and finally pop for a hand primer - decided on the RCBS model. Worked great once I got it set up. You can really feel the primer seating better. It's also a good hand exersizer :)

Anyway, thought I'd share this information.

Thanks great info :thumbsup:

Be careful of Winchester 748 powder, it changes speed with temperature. You load it hot in cool weather, you might get a head separation or worse. You should look at Accurate 2460 or 2520. The 2520 can also be used in .308 / 7.62 NATO and is a better choice if you are going to do heavier than 62 gr. bullets, though it can be used for 62's. The 2460 is good up to 77 gr. bullets. All are ball powders so they will meter good for you like the 748.
I like H335 or 844 for ball I have 1k of 55fmj Iloaded with 2520 its a good shooter but its not for me I have moved to varget and benchmark

Love it I just loaded 1k of 55gr fmj at 25.3gr and about to load up some surplus ss109 with it as well just have to catch up on some brass or empty some out :) now dont get me wrong on a 550b its a bitch till you get your stroke down because of the large extrusion it tends to hang up a slight DT at the bottom of the stroke will knock it loose but if you do spill some make sure to clean it up right away it will wreak havoc on your press I keep my air chuck next to my loading station and just give it a shot when some bounces out ...

Schuetzenman
10-14-2011, 09:20 PM

I like Varget because it's stable with temperature changes. YOu load it and test in cold weather you will get the same speeds in hot weather. 748 is one of the most touch at increasing speed and pressure with warm temperatures / weather. I have tried to use Varget on a Dillion 550 B powder measure, I can not get it to work for me. It eventually doesn't drop in the case and when you raise the press it comes pouring out, getting almost nothing in the case. When I load long range match ammo using Sierra Match King bullets I will use my No. 3 BR Redding meassure and fill the cases off line then use the press to seat the bullet and apply the taper crimp. For bulk, miliary blaster grade type ammo I use 844 surplus or the Accurate Powders I've listed and the Dillion 550 B from A to Z in reloading the case.

O.S.O.K.
10-15-2011, 11:31 AM
There are no safety issues with this load - it's not a max load and there's room for more pressure if the rounds get hot enough to affect that.

Schutz - I like 2520 too - I just have a lot of W748 and use it for a lot of different calibers 30-30, 45-70, .308...

Varget is great stuff and meters pretty well - good enough for larger cases IMHO like 7.62x51 but too much varience for my liking in 5.56x45/.223.

As far as military crimps go - the PMP brass has none. But when I do have that to deal with, I have a set of RCBS primer pocket swage dies - they screw into the Rock Chucker press - this allows for a fast de-crimping of a large number of pieces.