PDA

View Full Version : Congress overturns SSA ban on firearms.

l921428x
02-02-2017, 06:43 PM
Developing and trying to find the story................

Found this at ammoland. http://www.ammoland.com/2017/01/johnson-abraham-grassley-move-overturn-obamas-social-security-gun-ban/?utm_source=Ammoland+Subscribers&utm_campaign=8f134885b0-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-8f134885b0-20695585#axzz4XdNsj1bE

That is from the first of Feb but I thought I heard yesterday they had voted. I could be wrong, hope not.

jet3534
02-03-2017, 10:34 AM
The House has passed a bill to prevent the SSA from linking to NICS. Now I guess it will be referred to the Senate. It was never clear to me if the Obama EO on this would actually trigger law enforcement going to the home of a person deemed disabled by the SSA to attempt to seize their guns or just would have kicked back an "unapproved" on a NICS check.

l921428x
02-03-2017, 11:11 AM
Here is more:

In the House, the issue was an Obama rule extending background checks for disabled Social Security recipients mentally incapable of managing their own affairs. The House voted 235-180 to scuttle it.

Under the rule, the Social Security Administration had to provide information to the gun-buying background check system on recipients with a mental disorder so severe they cannot work and need someone to handle their benefits. The rule, also finalized in December, would have affected an estimated 75,000 beneficiaries.

"There is no evidence suggesting that those receiving disability benefits from the Social Security Administration are a threat to public safety," said Rep. Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.

"Once an unelected bureaucrat unfairly adds these folks to the federal background check system, they are no longer able to exercise their Second Amendment right," he said.

l921428x
02-03-2017, 11:16 AM
The House has passed a bill to prevent the SSA from linking to NICS. Now I guess it will be referred to the Senate. It was never clear to me if the Obama EO on this would actually trigger law enforcement going to the home of a person deemed disabled by the SSA to attempt to seize their guns or just would have kicked back an "unapproved" on a NICS check.

Either way it should not be up to the SSA to do anything except pay out the funds.