PDA

View Full Version : Relocation of Rear Trunnion on AMD-65

jet3534
02-04-2017, 11:42 AM
I have an AMD-65 on which the dust cover will not stay on because (it appears) the rear trunnion is set back a little too far. How much should it cost to have a gunsmith fix this? I am not an AK builder but I am thinking it may be expensive since the rivet holes in the receiver would (it seems to me) have to be wielded and then redrilled? I know a (somewhat) local guy who could do this but I need to know what a reasonable cost should be before getting an estimate.

l921428x
02-04-2017, 12:13 PM
If I were you I would look for oal measurements for the receiver cover and see if yours
could be short before I would think of what you described. I do not have an AMD 65
but i am sure someone does. Let us know.

Oh is it a new rifle to you or have you had it for a while and it has always been this way?

jet3534
02-04-2017, 04:02 PM
If I were you I would look for oal measurements for the receiver cover and see if yours
could be short before I would think of what you described. I do not have an AMD 65
but i am sure someone does. Let us know.

Oh is it a new rifle to you or have you had it for a while and it has always been this way?

Bought it years ago and never shot it. The problem has always existed. The gun was unfired when I got it so apparently a bad build.

I think the receiver cover is good but if I could find one a little longer than standard my problem would be solved.

l921428x
02-04-2017, 05:05 PM
Well I do think that it would be easier and cheaper to try and modify the rec. cover.
I will check the oal on my 63D and see what it is.

It measures 9 3/8ths oal.

imanaknut
02-04-2017, 07:04 PM
Is there a serial number on the cover and if so does it match the rest of the original parts?

It wouldn't surprise me to find a variation in the lengths of top covers as the tolerances on AKs is crazy, which is one of the reasons it functions so well. I would measure the cover length, but trying to pick on long enough isn't easy as it has been a really long time since I have been to any gun show with top covers for sale.

You might try calling Apex, or other vendors that carry AK pars and finding out if they would be nice enough to measure a couple of top covers to see if they have any that are longer.

Modifying the receiver to move the rear trunion forward is a very expensive way to go. If anything, find someone who is good at welding sheet metal and find out if they could add some weld to the front of your cover. Then you can use a dremel to custom fit the cover. Unfortunately my personal feelings on that way out is that the cover could warp from the heat and you would be worse than before you started.

Good luck.

alismith
02-04-2017, 10:02 PM
Well I do think that it would be easier and cheaper to try and modify the rec. cover.
I will check the oal on my 63D and see what it is.

It measures 9 3/8ths oal.

Mine measures the same, also.

l921428x
02-05-2017, 02:07 AM
Is yours smooth like the m70ab2 or ribbed like the ak63d?