PDA

View Full Version : Colt Combat Commander

Richard Simmons
05-06-2017, 01:02 PM
At a LGS this morning I ran across a Series 70 Combat Commander, 9x19 with a non factory nickel refinish. At least I'm pretty sure it's a refinish and a non factory one given that the hammer is plated which unless I'm mistaken the hammer and trigger never are unless Colt is different in this regard than S&W?

Anyway it seems to be in good working order and refinish or not looks pretty nice, (checkered Colt stocks). It's priced at $700. Not sure if that's too bad even if it's been refinished as I almost never run across Colts in 9x19. Based on previous experience I would think they'd knock $50 off the price no problem. What do you all think about this model in general?

Schuetzenman
05-06-2017, 04:42 PM
I seem to remember that Colt did have a Nickle hammer and all the controls. Had a room mate that had a series 70 Government model in .45 ACP in bright nickle finish. I had a Python in bright nickle and the hammer on it was also nickle.

ltorlo64
05-06-2017, 04:54 PM
It looks like the Colt Commander came in nickel, are you sure it was refinished?

I have no experience with them except to know that you tend to pay more because it is a Colt. I have thought about getting a 1911 in 9mm to reduce the number of calibers I have to maintain, but it just seem sacrilegious to have a 1911 in anything but .45 ACP!

Richard Simmons
05-06-2017, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to do more research. On a S&W revolver a factory nickel has a blued ejector star and the hammer and trigger are color case hardened. On the Commander the hammer is nickel, the trigger is blued and the mainspring housing is blued. If it's original I don't think $650-$700 is all that bad but I'll look at some completed auctions

Richard Simmons
05-06-2017, 05:30 PM
I just remembered it is CAI import marked. Thought that was weird but just found a post on the net about Century importing 9mm Combat Commanders from Israel , (police issue).

ltorlo64
05-06-2017, 10:15 PM
I just remembered it is CAI import marked. Thought that was weird but just found a post on the net about Century importing 9mm Combat Commanders from Israel , (police issue).

Don't know about the price but I find the history of those things pretty cool! I might jump on it just because of the history of it.

Schuetzenman
05-08-2017, 10:04 PM

IMO that makes it even more cool!