PDA

View Full Version : How will you defend your shtf location?

HDR
10-26-2010, 01:57 PM
If you have a well stocked location in a shtf world; there is potential you will need to defend it..

So how would you defend your bug out location?

ATAK, Inc.
10-26-2010, 02:31 PM
My situation has recently changed and I've moved back to Las Vegas. I still have my "bug out" location up in northern Idaho and future tenants will have options if SHTF, stay if you can provide till you find your own spot or GTFO! There are food stocks stashed up there that would not be easily found, the main issue is power for the well that I never got a chance to get set up. As far as defending it, I have mapped out tactical positions around the property that will be easily defended and have enough guns & ammo to stage just about anything. The house here in 'Vegas is another issue. I have ample firepower, just not a desireable place to be even though we are in the north part of the valley, it is still a metro kind of place, with it's own inherent problems.

One plus is some belt-fed goodness with lots of belts!!! For bug out, I have kits made up for each weapon. The main challenge is getting back up to Idaho, and not sure if my wife is keen about me installing a ring turret in her Exploder! lol

El Jefe
10-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Well, without knowing a specific scenario, as in what I would be defending my place against, I'll assume we're talking about either a small group of looters or a large chaotic mob. If it's the prior group they'll get a dose of buckshot followed by .45 acp. If it's the later, I'm leaving, I'll take what I can and let them have the rest.

Dr. Gonzo GED
10-26-2010, 03:15 PM
We've rigged tiger pits and caltrops all around the perimeter.

The walls have been designed so that our archers can support each other with interlocking fields of fire, and any attackers are bottle necked into convenient kill zones.

Dense walls fo sharpened wooden poles line the base of the fortress walls as well as the moat.

The moat itself has been filled with bitumen liquid, and will be set aflame with a burning arrow, should our hated enemies siege engines approach the gate.

Fires have been stoked along the ramparts to heat tubs of oil or gray water for any poor wretches that try to storm the walls.

Our archers arrows have been dipped in human waste. I don't know why.

In addition, any of our number who succumb to the dreaded plague will be catapulted over the walls, into the enemy camp.

With gods blessing, we will endure this siege and prevail!

Zoff12
10-26-2010, 03:48 PM
If you have a well stocked location in a shtf world; there is potential you will need to defend it..

So how would you defend your bug out location?
With guile and violence!

El Laton Caliente
10-26-2010, 04:12 PM
They have to find the place first... by passing through 100,000 heavily armed Texas red-necks and about 100 miles of wooded terrain... Then you have to think the barricaded dirt logging road actually goes somewhere... Then you get to deal with about 50+ neighbors and family all heavily armed with watches posted and dogs. And that is before the SHTF...

abpt1
10-26-2010, 04:31 PM
I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

From a stone home with 2-4ft thick walls and first floor windows sealed brick and mortar

Moebrown20
10-26-2010, 04:33 PM
I don't.

I figure when you see all the heads on a stick you would get the point.

HDR
10-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Well, without knowing a specific scenario, as in what I would be defending my place against, I'll assume we're talking about either a small group of looters or a large chaotic mob. If it's the prior group they'll get a dose of buckshot followed by .45 acp. If it's the later, I'm leaving, I'll take what I can and let them have the rest.

A lot of people talk about having a "bug out" location for shtf which prompted this thread asking how they would defend it.

So how would you defend your bug out location? As no enemy will give you a warning; not knowing the scenario is a given. What you know is your "bug out" location, manpower, and assets which is what any fixed location would know.

I was curious how those with bug out locations plan to protect it.

Next we have today's nomination for the highly imaginative post award:

The walls have been designed so that our archers can support each other with interlocking fields of fire, and any attackers are bottle necked into convenient kill zones.

Dense walls fo sharpened wooden poles line the base of the fortress walls as well as the moat.

The moat itself has been filled with bitumen liquid, and will be set aflame with a burning arrow, should our hated enemies siege engines approach the gate.

Fires have been stoked along the ramparts to heat tubs of oil or gray water for any poor wretches that try to storm the walls.

In addition, any of our number who succumb to the dreaded plague will be catapulted over the walls, into the enemy camp.

They have to find the place first... by passing through 100,000 heavily armed Texas red-necks and about 100 miles of wooded terrain... Then you have to think the barricaded dirt logging road actually goes somewhere... Then you get to deal with about 50+ neighbors and family all heavily armed with watches posted and dogs. And that is before the SHTF...

And one of you probably owns a bucket loader or track hoe to dig decent fighting positions?

Penguin
10-26-2010, 05:28 PM

That is a great plan I like it!

on a more serious note I really am kind of screwed in my current location. My best bet would be to raise as much hell on the first wave as I can to disourage any one else from trying anything after that. I have plenty of guns and ammo to acomplish that. I figure my biggest threat is some one buring me out of my place. The next is the reality of I am just one person and that really limits you.

crapshoot
10-26-2010, 05:46 PM
I plan on eating my neighbors. No joke.

Solidus-snake
10-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Eh, kinda screwed regarding home location, BUT i do have a good secluded location in the middle of my grans 50+ acres in which i am most familiar. Got the guns, ammo, and food, just havent made a defensible structure yet.

jojo
10-26-2010, 07:00 PM

Do you think that things will get that bad? I guess I should have started preparing sooner.

FunkyPertwee
10-26-2010, 08:45 PM

Are you positive none of the 100,000 angry Texans might pose a threat when the food runs out?

recon
10-26-2010, 09:07 PM
The plan is too move in the next couple of years. But if it goes bad before then I'll have to make do right here! Which I will do! I won't be alone either!

Hochmeister
10-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Hmmm. Good question, I have a plan to meet up with about 50 other guys when and IF sh!t hits the fan, which it most likely will. But yeah, Guns & Ammo are plentiful, along with the other basic human needs like rations and water. Unfortunately, we're bound to run out of toilet paper so I plan on bringing a couple copies of the 9/11 report along with Obama's new healthcare bill, since that's all it's good for anyway right?

crapshoot
10-27-2010, 02:12 AM
Hmmm. Good question, I have a plan to meet up with about 50 other guys when and IF sh!t hits the fan, which it most likely will. But yeah, Guns & Ammo are plentiful, along with the other basic human needs like rations and water. Unfortunately, we're bound to run out of toilet paper so I plan on bringing a couple copies of the 9/11 report along with Obama's new healthcare bill, since that's all it's good for anyway right?

YES!!!! REVOLUTION!!!!!! WOLVERINES!!!!!!!! MURDER THE GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!

Hochmeister
10-27-2010, 02:29 AM
LOL!! crapshoot, "Attitudes change quick when dicks are involved and faces are pushed into pillows." haha. That honestly made me laugh.

El Jefe
10-27-2010, 10:37 AM

50 other guys? You belong to a militia or something?

slamfire51
10-27-2010, 11:12 AM
They have to find the place first... by passing through 100,000 heavily armed Texas red-necks and about 100 miles of wooded terrain.

Is AKTexas one of those guys?
I'm betting he is.:coffee:

AKTexas
10-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Is AKTexas one of those guys?
I'm betting he is.:coffee:

I'f I told any of you,I'd have to kill and eat you.

arcangel
10-27-2010, 12:31 PM
If Im buggin out then its all out madness. I'd opt to stay here, I live in an Apartment on the 3rd floor with a nice veiw of the assholes around me. Come on up, those stairs as anyone would find out suck! Maybe whoever Im defending against should be somewhat tired by the time they get to me. And when they do it's G19 and 350 rds loaded in mags before I gotta reload, and USP45. Until I break out a rifle and let em have it. The GF would provide support. Its just the 2 of us. If we had to leave Dodge I'd have to find a way to my parents 200m NE. Option 1 on I-69 through Lansing and Flint. Or option 2 on I-94 through Detroit. Either dont look very appealing. Gotta find a way to slip right down the middle avoiding the cities. Our community is gated pretty well so that helps with zombies, and undetermined looters. I've figured that a lot of people are gunna go pretty fast when the SHTF, so I'll lay low here for a while. See who is left in the complex and set up positions with the apartments that arent filled. Play the sniper game from building to building. And take anything needed as needed.

swampdragon
10-27-2010, 02:55 PM
My 2 biggest things would be:
1) Early warning devices. (ya gotta sleep sometime)
2) Protection from incoming rounds.

El Jefe
10-27-2010, 03:13 PM

Are you set on those items now?

Richard Simmons
10-27-2010, 03:30 PM
How? With every fiber of my being.

I'm like Lt Mayo, "I got no place else to go!"

If they want what's mine they can come and get it. If they get it that means I no longer need it.

swampdragon
10-27-2010, 04:00 PM

Not really.

Moebrown20
10-27-2010, 05:18 PM

I ordered a few 12g flare traps to convert into a warning system.
In a shtf, they might change into explosive traps.

swampdragon
10-27-2010, 05:28 PM
I ordered a few 12g flare traps to convert into a warning system.
In a shtf, they might change into explosive traps.

I thought about those too.
But then I also thought about dogs and cats and horses and cattle here too.

Mark Ducati
10-27-2010, 05:45 PM
We live on an elevated mountain, so I've got that advantage... I've got a clear shooting lane down to the front gate of our community (I plan to park an SUV in front of the gate).

There's some trails that you could come in from the back of our development by walking... I figure some trip wires with shotgun flares for alarms... I've already had some discussions/arrangements with some close friends/family that I trust... since I've got the biggest house, they're coming over here and we'd have to stand watch in shifts.

Gotta have a group of like minded people... in a real SHTF scenario like a back pack nuke going of in Atlanta and 800-900,000 folks coming up I-75 to the mountains... there's no way a single man can protect his family. Bring some food and ammo to the table, and you're welcome at my home... otherwise "Git off mah land!"

http://www.gameguru.in/images/redneck-rampage-01.jpg

swampdragon
10-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Redneck Rampage....:lool:

slamfire51
10-27-2010, 06:48 PM
I thought about those too.
But then I also thought about dogs and cats and horses and cattle here too.

Hopefully, you'll have the animals put up and guarded. If you don't, they'll become food.

HDR
10-27-2010, 06:53 PM
50 other guys? You belong to a militia or something?

Probably the marauders who will come for your food when theirs runs out..

Mark Ducati
10-27-2010, 07:10 PM
ARcangel,

I'd opt to stay here, I live in an Apartment on the 3rd floor

Okay, so you hole up on the 3rd floor while those a-holes torch the building from the 1st floor... hope you can fly :)

swampdragon
10-27-2010, 07:13 PM
ARcangel,

Okay, so you hole up on the 3rd floor while those a-holes torch the building from the 1st floor... hope you can fly :)

Maybe he's a "fire" fly.

swampdragon
10-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Hopefully, you'll have the animals put up and guarded. If you don't, they'll become food.

They still have to graze.

arcangel
10-27-2010, 08:33 PM
If they burn the place then we're F'd anyways or run out and try it that way? Lol

El Jefe
10-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Not really.

Either would be damned hard to do I'd think.

Moebrown20
10-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Why would they burn the place when they want what inside?

Sure, I travel XXXXX miles to steal gas and supplies and burn the place that has it.

American Rage
10-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Pistol, Shotgun, Rifle.

I really like the idea of a local or neighborhood militia/defense/police force.

Rage

El Laton Caliente
10-27-2010, 09:36 PM
And one of you probably owns a bucket loader or track hoe to dig decent fighting positions?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs195.snc4/38093_138448412856570_100000742367321_235227_41087 13_n.jpg

Small backhoe, it's mine. We are working on the 74HP Bobcat and ther is a dump trailer in my yard... The next door neighbor has a small dozer. The boss 17 miles away is looking at medium size trackhoes and I still want a dragline...

HDR
10-30-2010, 06:45 AM

First I'd assess the terrain or whatever it is I am defending; divide it into sectors.

After a soldier "graduates" training; he is assigned to a unit and to keep on training.. lol My point is military training is both long and thorough; so "it" is bred into infantrymen.

Small backhoe, it's mine. We are working on the 74HP Bobcat and ther is a dump trailer in my yard... The next door neighbor has a small dozer. The boss 17 miles away is looking at medium size trackhoes and I still want a dragline...

My neighbor has a Kubota; he had an older JD and the Kubota is new so it is his "love." I know you understand... :D He gardens and the terrain is steep here; he is terracing the slope to expand the garden.

We wish someone with a big CAT dozer would move in... lol

recon
11-01-2010, 01:51 PM
http://www.deltapress.com/defending-your-retreat-p-384.html

El Laton Caliente
11-01-2010, 02:49 PM
My neighbor has a Kubota; he had an older JD and the Kubota is new so it is his "love." I know you understand... :D He gardens and the terrain is steep here; he is terracing the slope to expand the garden.

We wish someone with a big CAT dozer would move in... lol

My boss' neighbor buys, refurbishes and sells late model heavy equipment so at any given time he has half a dozen pieces or more at his place. The boss got rid of the Cat 12 motor grader, Cat 235 trackhoe and the D6, he/we just didn't have the trucks & trailers to move it around even both having the small freightliners. The big stuff had to have a low boy trailer in the 35 ton to 45 ton range and the truck to pull it. The 235 hydraulic pump is $9K and I can buy one for my backhoe for $900. Equipment up in that size range requires a lot of support and a LOT of fuel and maintenance. The smaller stuff we are working with can be hauled easily and farm tractor size hydraulics are readily available and MUCH cheaper.

To paraphase Bill Jordan, the best equipment you can have is what is parked in the yard when you need it....

I'm on top of a hill also with 60+ foot drops in 100 to 200 yards on three sides. The wife is wanting "retaining walls" put in... lol...

HDR
11-01-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm on top of a hill also with 60+ foot drops in 100 to 200 yards on three sides. The wife is wanting "retaining walls" put in... lol...

Retaining walls terraformed in?? lol

Here it is steep on three sides for a few hundred yards. Friendliest angle 59 degrees measured by a surveyor. In Spring and summer to the East is impregnable unless one is immune to poison oak. lol

The road in is the ridge line. Not a road to skid off in winter. It is laid back and pretty here so that was the motivator.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/528/medium/6.jpg

The dish washing view. lol

sglenn
11-02-2010, 05:45 AM
I'm with the "heads on sticks" guy.

slamfire51
11-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Where are you HDR?

HDR
11-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Western NC.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/528/medium/0058.JPG

Cameras don't show depth well.. ;)

El Laton Caliente
11-03-2010, 07:23 PM
That is a lot more of a drop off than I have. For the large view though I have lake on three sides. Take out a few bridges and the 150 miles to a large city is more like 200+... with limited access.

Broondog
11-03-2010, 11:08 PM
i will defend my location with every fiber of my being, for it is my home.

if that is inadequate then i shall die and pass on my stores to the victor.

ubersoldate
11-03-2010, 11:19 PM
As I have said a zillion times, I do not think any home is protected when there is someone with a molitov coctail out there trying to get ya.
But there are a few things that would work to better my odds.
That and as posted above, using nature to defend you is the key.
If they are at the door, then it isnt going to be pretty.

1- Get to know my neighbors who own property around us, set up a communication of sorts. Power in numbers, and I would think that helping one another in a bad situation would really work against a group of people who decided to take on one house.

2- Fell a few trees on the only road in.

Keep the house as far from view from the road as possible by using natural tree trimming, or lack of!

The rest is pretty much up to my dog hearing people coming up the hill.
Animals come in handy in such situations.

Looking down my driveway.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs949.snc4/74197_171976669481208_100000066272530_584560_61385 31_n.jpg
Looking out the back door.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs409.ash2/68719_171976622814546_100000066272530_584559_67854 16_n.jpg

btcave
11-03-2010, 11:24 PM
1- Get to know my neighbors who own property around us...

...The rest is pretty much up to my dog hearing people coming up the hill.
Animals come in handy in such situations....

This.

HDR
11-05-2010, 05:28 AM
That is a lot more of a drop off than I have. For the large view though I have lake on three sides. Take out a few bridges and the 150 miles to a large city is more like 200+... with limited access.

Skidding off the road here is not wise. ;)

Urban is about 100 miles from here. Same situation with a bridge; however taking it out would require a bunch of C4.

The rest is pretty much up to my dog hearing people coming up the hill.
Animals come in handy in such situations.

Yup, dorgs can hear over 200 times better than the average human.

Keep the house as far from view from the road as possible by using natural tree trimming, or lack of!

As clearing fields of fire would mean the house could be visible from a distance this can be a conflict of interests. lol

Welcome to no people living..

HDR
11-05-2010, 05:31 AM
http://www.deltapress.com/defending-your-retreat-p-384.html

Is the book any good?

I was an 11B so it was beat into my brain same as any other 11B. lol