PDA

View Full Version : Romanian Reciever

bigandrich44
10-26-2010, 06:51 PM
I just bought a WASR-10, which was single stack. In my stupidity, I decided to try and dremel it out, which didn't work. So now I know my mistake, and I want to fix it. the question is, where do I find a replacement receiver, and I would need an FFL correct? Thanks guys!

Moebrown20
10-26-2010, 07:00 PM
You could get a flat and build one or http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm

bigandrich44
10-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Which receiver would be the best? Also, how hard would it be to swap parts?

Moebrown20
10-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Which receiver would be the best? Also, how hard would it be to swap parts?

I would say this one: http://www.nodakspud.com/images/NDS-2%20EZ%20a.JPG

I don't know your building know-how. Do you plan to rivet or screw?
You will have to drill the rear rivets out & press the barrel.

hawk1911
10-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Back in the old days when you could buy a lit for less than the cost of a built rifle I avoided the FFL cost and would go in person to Global Trade (now Elk River) and pick a few up at a time 100% and ready to go.

imanaknut
10-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

How bad did you bugger it up that you need to replace the receiver???

jojo
10-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

How bad did you bugger it up that you need to replace the receiver???

x2

You must have gotten real happy with the dremel to be considering replacing the receiver. Show us a photo. Unless you are mechanically inclined and have access to a hydraulic press and rivet jig then I would say that it will be a chore for you to swap them out. If riveting then you have to press the barrel out and remove the old rivets before you can even start. Rivet the front and rear trunnions into the receiver and then press the barrel back in.

bigandrich44
10-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Well the two pieces on either side of the mag well that stick out, I dremeled those down flat. The area where the lip of the magazine catches toward the front of the gun, dremeled that just a tad too far, and thats the only real problem. the mags fit, its just they dont catch in that area, which in turn makes it where the mag wont stay in the gun or feed right.

Moebrown20
10-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Well the two pieces on either side of the mag well that stick out, I dremeled those down flat. The area where the lip of the magazine catches toward the front of the gun, dremeled that just a tad too far, and thats the only real problem. the mags fit, its just they dont catch in that area, which in turn makes it where the mag wont stay in the gun or feed right.

If you can take a photo, do so.
It might be an easy fix with a bit of welding know-how.
If we see it, it will be easier to help out.

bigandrich44
10-27-2010, 08:22 PM
EDIT: heres the pics. Seems like the front of the mag isnt catching, and the mag isnt sitting high enough. Thanks guys!

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg167/bigandrich441/3.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg167/bigandrich441/2.jpg

imanaknut
10-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Uhhhh, I think you are in worse shape than you realize. The mag on an AK locks into a slot in the trunion, not the receiver. If you dremeled away part of the front trunion, you are looking at not only possibly a new receiver, but a new trunion.

If what I think I see is true, you now have what might be a more expensive repair than just buying a new rifle.

bigandrich44
10-27-2010, 10:26 PM
I actually widened the trunion tonight, and its now feeding rounds, albeit not reliably. Would having a welder weld a bead on the bottom of the trunion, then filing it down be alright? I also need the rear of the rounds to feed higher, if anybody has any suggestions for that...

bigandrich44
10-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Anybody?

abpt1
10-28-2010, 08:57 PM
I actually widened the trunion tonight, and its now feeding rounds, albeit not reliably. Would having a welder weld a bead on the bottom of the trunion, then filing it down be alright? I also need the rear of the rounds to feed higher, if anybody has any suggestions for that...
Its worth a try and I would guess if you built it up and ground and reshaped it could get this running again not pretty but functional

bigandrich44
10-29-2010, 05:14 PM
So just laying down a bead where the lip of the magazine should catch should suffice? How do I raise the rear of the mag a tad?

Moebrown20
10-29-2010, 08:44 PM
So just laying down a bead where the lip of the magazine should catch should suffice? How do I raise the rear of the mag a tad?

I find it easier to mess with the mag than the weapon itself.
File a bit from the rear of the mag and test fit.

What state/country are you in?

bigandrich44
10-30-2010, 12:39 AM
Texas.lol.

Cantpeestr8
11-02-2010, 10:25 AM
I am thinking about converting my single stack-any words of advise! Ive been researching for several days now and havent been able to find anything solid or anyone who has actually attempted to grind/widen the trunnion themselves successfully (with the exception of magazine catch issue). Have you since found a solution for that?

Question: Couldnt you have just had your trunnion replaced with a double stack? or is it not possible? I've found a few sites online that sell them for as low as 50 bucks!

Would really appreciate some help with this project.

bigandrich44
11-02-2010, 04:43 PM
From what I understood, no you cant. You have to widen the mag well, then if you were to replace the trunnion youd have to press out the barrel, and press it back in. IDK, i might end up having it done anyways.

bigandrich44
11-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Anyone have a romanian front trunnion?

filthy phil
11-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Texas.lol.

they spell our state with 2 s's here :)

sglenn
11-05-2010, 07:57 PM
whoa.

Cantpeestr8
11-05-2010, 08:10 PM
i talked to a gunsmith here locally, i explained what i was trying to accomplish and he basically said that he wasnt interested in doing it. He said that he hasnt heard of it ever being done. But, with all the long pauses, stuttering, and slurring he was doing, i could tell it was "beer-thirty" and he was only interested in one thing-and it came in a bottle or a can. I also asked a sale assoc. at my local range, and instead of saying " I don't know" he proceeded to tell me what he thought (with his 21 years of wisdom). i havent given up yet. How hard can it be- its a freakin ak-47...stripped down the thing is only held together by 3 rivets. Before i forget i found a front trunnion at AK-47s.com for $50. Now i need to get i contact with some who builds ak's and ask for some help. I'll let you know how it goes.

mpoppel41
11-06-2010, 06:05 PM
at least you gave it the old college try. :oh-shit: