PDA

View Full Version : So let's be honest

Richard Simmons
11-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Who's not having turkey tomorrow?

Technically we're not since we're not doing our Thanksgiving until Friday. I know its traditional but on the occasions where we have had a ham or prime rib it's kind of a nice change. Usually, unless family is coming, my wife and I just do a turkey breast and not the whole bird. I've thought about trying a goose but I've never eaten or cooked one before. Not even sure where to get one?

I know some folks who've done venison, back strap or maybe a roast. Growing up we did pheasant a couple of times. Anyone else take a detour from the norm for their Thanksgiving meal?

N/A
11-22-2017, 10:50 AM
No turkey here; probably not even Bologna this year.

Darrell
11-22-2017, 11:48 AM
How about BACON? : ) I can't seem to get the little smiley faces to work...

Seriously, I don't care if I eat turkey, ever again, in life. If I'm starving, I may feel different.

We're having ham this year...

kuntryboy
11-22-2017, 11:56 AM
we're going out this year to a buffet. if they got shrimp, i won't bother with turkey.

Richard Simmons
11-22-2017, 12:26 PM
we're going out this year to a buffet. if they got shrimp, i won't bother with turkey.

We did K&W cafateria one year. Food wasn't bad, didn't cost that much and no cooking or dishes to wash. Our daughters and her family can't get here until Friday which is why we're doing our big meal that day. Not sure what we'll do tomorrow other than watch the parade on TV? Might go to a movie.

alismith
11-22-2017, 02:07 PM
Nope, no detour here. Eating dinner at our ex daughter-in-law's this year. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, dressing, string beans, a couple of different kinds of casseroles, biscuits, mac and cheese, etc. Pretty traditional.... I'm not complaining.

Richard Simmons
11-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Nope, no detour here. Eating dinner at our ex daughter-in-law's this year. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, dressing, string beans, a couple of different kinds of casseroles, biscuits, mac and cheese, etc. Pretty traditional.... I'm not complaining.

I just saw on FNC where the showed the favorite side dishes based on location and Mac and cheese was top top pick in the SE. Every where west of the Rockies was "salad", go figure. M&C is good though I like fresh green beans.

Something from my childhood I like the canned cranberry sauce. Don't know why but I like to open the can, slide out the stuff and slice it up. It's not particularly tasty but we had it when I was little and I just like it. Kinda funny I guess.

N/A
11-22-2017, 03:37 PM
Heck, the dressing with giblet gravy poured over it and a couple of slices of cranberry sauce to eat with it is the only part of a traditional dinner I like. Finish off with a slice of pecan pie.

Schuetzenman
11-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Had Turkey at a neighbors house today. Cooking ours Friday. I have suggested just doing a breast but the wife won't hear of it. We end up making Turkey Pies out of the brown meet and any white meat left overs. Pop them in a big ziplock freezer bag and freeze. Pull them out a couple months later after the gag reflex has eased off. ;)

JTHunter
11-25-2017, 10:50 PM
Chicken parmagiana, white & yellow sweet corn, stuffing, "appropriate" adult beverages, and pumpkin pie. I cooked for my elderly mother.

ltorlo64
11-26-2017, 12:05 AM
I was underway and we had turkey, prime rib, ham, corn on the cob, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes (I think they were instant), stuffing, corn bread stuffing, salad, and green bean casserole. I didn't have all that, I stuck with the turkey, corn, green beans and corn bread stuffing. Oh yean, there was giblet gravy (I think the Supply Officer told me they made 150 gallons for the ship! and it was good!), and au jus from the prime rib. I won't even go into what we had for desert, suffice it to say that I helped for about 90 minutes the day before stacking about 5,000 chocolate chip cookies, and I didn't hardly make a dent in what they were cooking! Believe it or not, even with just over 5,000 Sailors and Marines onboard we had left overs. The next day we had turkey sandwiches with dressing. Just like being home, except for the 18 hour work days, constant movement, bad internet connection, and no phones for half the day! Actually, it was a great day and the cooks onboard did an unbelievable job.

ltorlo64
11-26-2017, 12:09 AM
I've thought about trying a goose but I've never eaten or cooked one before. Not even sure where to get one?

My wife and I did goose one year. I shot the goose along with two others (3 was the limit!) a few weeks before, so we had one for Thanksgiving. Sometimes, usually more towards Christmas, I see geese in the freezer section next to the turkeys. I don't think I have ever seen geese in stores at Thanksgiving.