PDA

View Full Version : TV Commercials

l921428x
12-22-2017, 07:47 PM
What do you like or dislike?

My favorite for years was the Squirrel in the tire commercial. Farmers. The Maaco
one with the offended Reindeer kicking the bumper of the offending auto.

Full Otto
12-22-2017, 09:22 PM
This one comes to mind. I get a kick out of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_8CfBabmc

ltorlo64
12-22-2017, 09:30 PM
Otto, that is by far my favorite commercial right now! I like Geico commercials generally but that one was well above average.

imanaknut
12-22-2017, 11:24 PM
Rare commercial I actually like is the General Electric one with the girl who is asked to take the garbage out, then invents ways to do it and other things culminating in her working on their jet engines. They did an amazing job of finding females with similar looks so you seem to watch her grow up.

l921428x
12-23-2017, 07:30 AM
The new Mt. Dew sucks really bad I do not know what they were trying
but for me a HUGE fail.

Full Otto
12-23-2017, 05:40 PM
Rare commercial I actually like is the General Electric one with the girl who is asked to take the garbage out, then invents ways to do it and other things culminating in her working on their jet engines. They did an amazing job of finding females with similar looks so you seem to watch her grow up.

I haven't seen that one but reminded me of the caregiver assistance ones by AARP
Those are pretty good. I lean toward the girl and her father with the bowl of cereal

Hobe Sound AK
12-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Here is one I still remember, but long forgotten from December, 1970, or 1971. not sure which Year. It was a CBS Commercial for Christmas. B&W and Animated. No Words said. There are 3 Baby Birds, in a Tree Singing, A Flute was used for their Singing Sound. All of a Sudden They Stop, You hear a Lumberjack walking up to the Tree looks up at the 3 Baby Birds in the Nest, and instead of using his Saw to cut down the Tree. He Puts it on his Shoulder, and with a Rod for a Violin, he starts to Play the Song, Green sleeves! (The Song played on the Ending of the T.V. Series Lassie! ) The Birds join in the Song, and then CBS Flashed the Words To all of you a Merry Christmas from CBS! Funny how I should remember it now. Well done. Paul

Hobe Sound AK
12-23-2017, 06:23 PM
I found it! It was Several Birds in a Tree, and not just a Nest, Plus it was older! 1966! Plus the Lumber Jack Played God rest ye Merry Gentlemen. a Very well Done Commercial. I guess they showed it every Christmas Time each Year. Paul
https://www.youtube.com?v=MUWMjUjit_U

Hobe Sound AK
12-23-2017, 06:27 PM
Lets try again, that takes you to the Home Page of youtube.com. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUWMjUjit_U

dfariswheel
12-23-2017, 07:53 PM
I liked the Energizer Bunny commercials that faked other commercials, only to have the rabbit come banging through.

I also like the Geico weight lifter.

NAPOTS
12-23-2017, 10:49 PM
These were always the best.
https://youtu.be/G6VKiAzsXig

Schuetzenman
12-24-2017, 08:13 AM
The new Mt. Dew sucks really bad I do not know what they were trying
but for me a HUGE fail.

You talking about the Puppy-monkey-baby commercial? I also say wtf when I see that one. Somebody was dropping acid when they came up with that concept and the executive that authorized it to be filmed was also on something.

Full Otto
12-24-2017, 10:22 AM
I'm not liking the new McDonalds commercial
The guy with the "man bun" and pink pants and the Nancyboy with the hoolahoop
Sandwich might be good but I don't get there much these days anyway

l921428x
12-24-2017, 06:20 PM
You talking about the Puppy-monkey-baby commercial? I also say wtf when I see that one. Somebody was dropping acid when they came up with that concept and the executive that authorized it to be filmed was also on something.

Now I have not seen the one you are talking about. But the one I am talking came out a week or so before Dale Jr. left racing
and Dale was in those that week or so now it has just this prissy white guy in the Mt. Dew Green outfit.........

Schuetzenman
12-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Now I have not seen the one you are talking about. But the one I am talking came out a week or so before Dale Jr. left racing
and Dale was in those that week or so now it has just this prissy white guy in the Mt. Dew Green outfit.........

https://youtu.be/ql7uY36-LwA

Here you go.

blacksheep
12-25-2017, 10:13 AM
The ASPCA and their 8 minute commercials annoy the hell out of me.

Wouldn't give those f*cks a penny of my money.

l921428x
12-26-2017, 01:47 PM
Ok Schuetz I have seen that one but let it go.

Now the ones about you bought a GMC and I bought some Christmas decorations are starting to annoy me.

My dogs better than your dog my dogs better than yours, my dogs better cause he eats kennel ration,
my dogs better than yours.

ltorlo64
12-26-2017, 04:49 PM
My dogs better than your dog my dogs better than yours, my dogs better cause he eats kennel ration,

That brought a smile to my face. This was done back when commercials were more innocent and straight forward.

l921428x
12-26-2017, 06:28 PM
Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and Chevrolet....repeat

N/A
12-26-2017, 11:23 PM
Can't say there are any current ones I really like, but the one I find the most low key and unpretentious is the guy on the TRIVAGO commercial.

The one I dislike is the Dr Ho's back support belt. It won't cost you $500, not $300, not even $200.

Just four payments of $49.99......or $199.96...but that's his special TV price so you're getting a real bargain.

Krupski
12-27-2017, 09:23 AM
What do you like or dislike?

My favorite for years was the Squirrel in the tire commercial. Farmers. The Maaco
one with the offended Reindeer kicking the bumper of the offending auto.

I am getting sick and disgusted with almost every other commercial depicting mixed-race couples or families.

Sometimes it's blatant, other times it's just a flash of a video frame or two, but there it is... blacks and whites depicted either as all together as a "family" or else a mixed race couple.

Krupski
12-27-2017, 09:25 AM
Ok Schuetz I have seen that one but let it go.

Now the ones about you bought a GMC and I bought some Christmas decorations are starting to annoy me.

North, South, East or West - Weatherbird shoes spin the best! They sure cock-a-doodle DO!

(remember that one?)

Krupski
12-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Shamelessly stolen from http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-46592.html

(my comments and/or additions in bold)

DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN .....?

All the girls had ugly gym uniforms?

It took 5 minutes for the TV warm up?

Nearly everyone's Mom was at home when the kids got home from school?

Nobody owned a purebred dog?

When a quarter was a decent allowance?

You'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny?

Your Mom wore nylons that came in two pieces?

All your male teachers wore neckties and female teachers had their hair done every day and wore high heels?

You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, every time? And you didn't pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot?

Laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box?

Cracker-Jack had an actual toy inside?

It was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents?

They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed. . . and they did?

When a 57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise, peel out, lay rubber or watch submarine races, and people went steady?

No one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked?

Lying on your back in the grass with your friends and saying things like, "That cloud looks like a" and playing baseball with no adults to help kids with the rules of the game?

Stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger?

And with all our progress, don't you just wish, just once, you could slip back in time and savor the slower pace, and share it with the children of today?

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at home?

Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived because their love was greater than the threat.

Send this on to someone who can still remember Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Laurel and Hardy, Howdy Doody and the Peanut Gallery,
the Lone Ranger, The Shadow Knows, Nellie Bell, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk.

As well as summers filled with bike rides, baseball games, Hula Hoops, bowling and visits to the pool, and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar.

Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, "Yeah, I remember that"?

How many of these do you remember?

Candy cigarettes

Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside

Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles

Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes

Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum

Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers

Newsreels before the movie

P.F. Fliers

Telephone numbers with a word prefix...(WAlnut 1-1601). (Mine was TX5-0885)

Party lines

Peashooters

Howdy Doody

45 RPM records

Yellow plastic "spider" adapters for 45 records

Green Stamps

Hi-Fi's

Metal ice cubes trays with levers

Mimeograph paper (ahhhh the smell of methanol and amyl acetate (the banana smell))

Beanie and Cecil

Roller-skate keys

Cork pop guns

Drive ins

Studebakers

Washtub wringers (my mom had a wringer washer)

The Fuller Brush Man

Reel-To-Reel tape recorders

Tinkertoys

Erector Sets

The Fort Apache Play Set

Lincoln Logs

15 cent McDonald hamburgers

5 cent packs of baseball cards - with that awful pink slab of bubble gum

Penny candy

A pack of 3 comic books for 25 cents that nowadays sell as collectables for $100 each and up

35 cent a gallon gasoline

Jiffy Pop popcorn

Do you remember a time when...

Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-moe"?

Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "Do Over!"?

"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest?

Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening?

It wasn't odd to have two or three "Best Friends"?

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was "cooties"?

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot?

A foot of snow was a dream come true?

Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute commercials for action figures?

"Oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense?

Spinning around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause for giggles?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team?

War was a card game?

Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle?

Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin?

Water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!!

alismith
12-27-2017, 11:45 AM
If you can remember most or all of these, then you have lived!!!!!!!

I have lived, then. You can still get Teaberry and Clove gum at Cracker Barrel Restaurants. I, usually, stock up on them whenever we stop in to eat.

kuntryboy
12-28-2017, 09:36 AM
who remembers when you could order shotguns and rifles from the sears and roebuck catalog?

l921428x
12-28-2017, 10:00 AM
Not sure about that but the first rifle I ever bought was when I was 16.
Walked in said I want this one put the money on the counter and left.