PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon RMR

Citizen Pain
10-28-2010, 02:40 PM
ordered a trijicon RMR. I got the 7 moa version with dual illumination instead of the LED version for redundancy and I'm sick of electronic sights breaking. Here is a picture of it installed on a 74 with wood furniture courtesy of a trade with Mr. Riddick.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x48/jaderrick_album/Gun%20Pics/IMG_0652.jpg?t=1288293532

My initial impressions are this is a well made sight. It has an aluminum housing, is water proof, supposedly holds up well on high recoil impulse weapons, and most importantly has a lifetime warranty. The sight seems robust.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x48/jaderrick_album/Gun%20Pics/IMG_0654.jpg?t=1288293827

Two cool things I immediately noticed were the adjustments can be made with a small flat head unlike doctor sights, it makes adjustments in 1moa increments and has audible clicks.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x48/jaderrick_album/Gun%20Pics/IMG_0660.jpg?t=1288294040

The reticle is bright and I can see it in pretty much any lighting condition. I was worried that the 7moa minimum dot size offered with the dual illum. rmr would be inaccurate but after looking down the sight I am confident that it will easily achieve hits on a 7" target at 100 meters. The dot is amber not red and it is very similar to the RX30s but is about 1/5 the size and weight. I ordered the one with a low picatinny mount. On an ultimak it does not co-witness, but it is so close that if the sight failed, you could still see the tip of the front post and could engage targets accordingly.There is a slight blue tint to the window which doesn't distort the target but could be annoying to someone who expects a clear window like the EOtech.
I will take it out tomorrow for zero and test drive, will post results.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x48/jaderrick_album/Gun%20Pics/IMG_0657.jpg?t=1288294380

RJ Shooter
10-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Looks GREAT!

O.S.O.K.
10-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Looks like you need to adjust 3 MOA right.... :coffee:

Seriously, thanks for the review - nice optic! Looking forward to the AAR.

abpt1
10-28-2010, 08:29 PM
I have played with one or two on my friends guns very nice stuff!

Penguin
10-28-2010, 09:17 PM
I look forward to hearing how it shoots.

Hochmeister
10-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Very nice. :clap:

Citizen Pain
10-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Okay went to the range, unfortunately this thread is now going to be about what not to do with an RMR. I went through 120 rds over 20 minutes and the damn reticle melted. I don't know if it's the fiber optic lead that melted or the tritium, but the dot has changed from a 7 MOA dot to a 14 MOA dot, The sight is hazy and unclear now, you can no longer see it from different angles anymore. I took a picture from the same view as before and I had to shine a 120 lumen nova tac into the fiber optic leads to get the reticle to show up on the camera. The blur seen in the photo is really there, it isn't a reflection.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x48/jaderrick_album/Gun%20Pics/IMG_0679.jpg?t=1288481949

I'm gonna ditch the ultimak Rail, It is awesome but transfers heat too efficiently. 120 rds wasn't even that hot, hot to the touch but able to keep bare fingers on the metal without pulling away in pain. I couldn't believe it melted( the reticle, not the aluminum housing). I'm in correspondence with trijicon about the issue. The worst part is, I don't know if the trituim insert has burned, I don't know how dangerous burnt 3H is, but trijicon warns it is 10,000 times more dangerous than not burnt.

Anyway, don't be stupid like me and put a $600 sight on an ultimak, whatever temperature the rail is, the sight will raise to that temperature too. Hindsight is always 20/20. For what it's worth, before it melted the sight was performing really well and I was dinging 7" steel @ 150 meters off the edge of the reticle.

O.S.O.K.
10-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Oh crap. Sorry to hear that. Hope they make good on this for you. Wow.

arcangel
10-30-2010, 08:22 PM
That sucks bro. That looks killer on that 74, you'd think Trijicon would consider that mounting option on your type of rifle. Trijicon does indeed make good products but maybe that line kinda sucks and they need to tweak it? Dunno, good luck with the Customer care also. Whatever they do they should take care of you well, waranty and all.

Your rifle does look sick tho. Im considering an AK-74 varient, or maybe 5.56 varient also. But also thinking about a 5.45 upper for my S&W. Cheap as hell still, ammo. I want to start getting back into the Russian calibers for the some what cheapness of it lol. I started with Nato cals, + 45, 22lr.

Citizen Pain
10-30-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm going to get a tripower and perhaps try that. As for the RMR, I'm very confident Trijicon will replace/ Repair it. When I get the new one back, If I put it on an AK I may try a picatinny side mount or something traditional and far away from the gas tube/barrel. The ultimak works well but gets too hot. I used to run an EOTech on it and that thing would get really hot too. I think the RMR is just as tough as an ACOG but I should have considered it's mass/size and placement(on the gas tube). The ultimak just transfers too much heat for a small sight that only sits just above the gas tube. What really sucks is that this will make 4 sights total that are down and in service, 2 EOtechs, 1 ACOG, and now an RMR. Sheeesh, I'm really good at destroying shit.

The positive outcome of the situation is that now everyone knows what happens if you mount a small sight (no matter how durable) on an ultimak.

Penguin
10-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Wow that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Thanks though for the heads up. Thanks for the information on the ultimak. I had thought about getting one of those. Yeah not any more glad you saved me from flushing some moeny down the tolit.

livingandlearning
11-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Nice pictures.Thanks.

Solidus-snake
11-12-2010, 07:14 AM
Sorry to hear it didnt work out man. :(

But thanks for the review, you saved me alot of time and money, as i was planning to do the same thing with my Arsenal 74.

RJ Shooter
11-12-2010, 08:17 AM
That's strange! I've seen many SpecOps and Contractors in the Sandbox running EOTechs on Ultimaks and they wear a lot of plastic! I've seen many at the range that way too, but never a melt!

Just WOW! Sorry brother...