PDA

View Full Version : The Mauser C96

Gunreference1
06-17-2018, 09:35 AM
https://gunsmagazine.com/the-mauser-c96/

Steve

alismith
06-17-2018, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the neat article. I bought my C-96 in 1974 and have never fired it. It was made on contract to China and, from the Chinese markings (scribed onto it), it was owned by a police chief somewhere in China. I took it to a gun show, years ago, to let a vendor, who was selling Mauser pistols look at it and tell me as much as he could. He said, based on the serial number, that it was made in 1921 or 22 and was made in Germany for the Chinese police. Since it was scribed with the initials of a policeman, it, probably, belonged to a police chief as the regular officers didn't inscribe theirs.

The barrel is in great shape and everything is in perfect working order.

It was on my bucket list of firearms I've always wanted.
I'm still not sure if I'll ever shoot it, or not, but it is nice to take out and clean up (fondle) every once in a while.

Helen Keller
06-17-2018, 04:09 PM
mines still broke from last summer, I be lazy.

alismith
06-17-2018, 06:30 PM
mines still broke from last summer, I be lazy.

What broke on it?

Gunreference1
02-14-2022, 02:27 AM
Here’s The “The Mauser C96 Broomhandle” A Classic From The Past That Still Holds It’s Own Today

https://greatamericanoutdoors.com/2020/03/heres-the-the-mauser-c96-broomhandle-a-classic-from-the-past-that-still-holds-its-own-today/

Steve

alismith
02-14-2022, 08:33 AM
I've had one since 1972. Bought it when China exported them to the US. Mine was owned by a police chief somewhere in China. While mine was made in Germany, it had the police chief's name engraved on it. A Mauser collector, at a local gun show, told me that only those high up in office engraved their names on them.

I've never fired it, nor do I plan on doing so. It's gonna be a safe queen as long as I own it.

It is one of the coolest-looking handguns I own. My youngest son has already claimed it after I die. I've made sure everyone in the family knows this.