PDA

View Full Version : IA - Some Iowa Sheriffs are hitting the panic button over the new firearms law

Gunreference1
10-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Sean McClanahan
Des Moines Gun Rights Examiner

Some Iowa Sheriffs are hitting the panic button over the new firearms law

October 28th, 2010 1:04 pm CT

The Cedar Rapids Gazette ran an article today, in which I was interviewed. Overall, I have to say that it was a fairly well balanced article without a lot of editorial slant from the reporter. However, as we have often seen since Governor Culver signed SF-2379 into law, there are still some in Iowa that believe the sky is going to start falling on January 1 when Chapter 724 undergoes a wide range of changes. In an attempt to (once again) refute the doomsday predictions of those who believe that Iowa will revert to some sort of O.K. Corral or third-world landscape, let's take another look at the dire predictions and unfounded comments by some of the other people interviewed in the article.

“The general public is going to freak out when they see people walking down the street with guns strapped to their hip,” (Linn County Sheriff Brian) Gardner said.

Perhaps some of the general population might be caught off-guard if they happen to see someone exercising the civil right of self-defense by openly carrying a firearm. However, the vast majority of law-abiding citizens who choost to exercise this right do so by carrying concealed, thereby not drawing attention to themselves.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-des-moines/iowa-sheriffs-hitting-the-panic-button

Steve

Moebrown20
10-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Hey Steve, the links is missing.

Gunreference1
10-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Sorry Moe, lack of sleep does that to me. My mistake!

Steve

Gunreference1
10-31-2010, 08:29 AM
Iowa sheriffs lobby to tweak gun-permit law

Oct 31, 2010 4:00am

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) — While Iowa gun enthusiasts are celebrating a landmark liberalization in state law, Linn County Sheriff Brian Gardner and some colleagues are bracing for it.

"The general public is going to freak out when they see people walking down the street with guns strapped to their hip," Gardner said.

Gardner's concern is one of several he has with the bill that made Iowa a "shall-issue" state, where anyone without a felony on their record may get a permit to carry weapons in public. He said the bill to change the law, signed in the spring by Gov. Chet Culver and effective Jan. 1, reaches beyond the question of an individual sheriff's authority to decide who may carry a gun in public.

"This whole thing's open to too much interpretation," Gardner said.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.necn.com/10/31/10/Iowa-sheriffs-lobby-to-tweak-gun-permit-/landing_politics.html?&blockID=3&apID=2b8f1ee5645544d2871b2e548225b781

Steve