PDA

View Full Version : Museum curator surprised by gun donation

Full Otto
10-30-2010, 11:18 AM
At least it's got a good home

http://www.post-trib.com/news/porter/2847518,new-vgun1030.article
With that, Lain unzipped a black case and pulled out a World War II-era Thompson submachine gun

Love the expression people get when they actually hold a gun.
Gonna have to get up there and check the place out. In looking for this article I found out one of Dillinger's is around that area too

imanaknut
10-30-2010, 11:41 AM
It is a shame that we don't have some law protecting our rights to own weapons like that. From the golden era of firearms!!!

Oh wait, we do, or we used to have some law that said something like "shall not be infringed". Just can't seem to remember where I heard that....

Full Otto
10-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Yes indeed, since they have been infringed it would be nice to at least get the "privilege" of being able to register these closet finds.

JVD
10-30-2010, 12:41 PM
dude's got some poor trigger control there. :rolleyes1:

bgummer
10-30-2010, 02:35 PM
dude's got some poor trigger control there. :rolleyes1:

Bolts open too; at least it is not being destroyed.

Full Otto
10-30-2010, 03:39 PM
I did find these on the Dillinger gun.

From 2002:
http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-6050.html
A Tommy gun stolen by John Dillinger after a brazen 1934 jail escape in Indiana could soon be molten steel.
Newly elected Lake County, Ind., Sheriff Roy Dominguez--no fan of Dillinger because he killed a cop--is thinking about throwing the infamous Colt Thompson submachine gun into a furnace at one of the county's steel mills. History experts say the gun could be worth $1 million.

As of 2009 it seems to still be around
http://www.portercountysheriff.com/main/whatshappening/2009/enemies.html

aliceinchains
10-30-2010, 05:11 PM
I did find these on the Dillinger gun.

From 2002:
http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-6050.html
A Tommy gun stolen by John Dillinger after a brazen 1934 jail escape in Indiana could soon be molten steel.
Newly elected Lake County, Ind., Sheriff Roy Dominguez--no fan of Dillinger because he killed a cop--is thinking about throwing the infamous Colt Thompson submachine gun into a furnace at one of the county's steel mills. History experts say the gun could be worth $1 million.

As of 2009 it seems to still be around
http://www.portercountysheriff.com/main/whatshappening/2009/enemies.html

Public enemies was a good movie.After Dillinger was killed Melvin Purvis retired from the FBI shortly afterwards and practiced law. He also bought a radio station in Florence, South Carolina, and served in the Army in World War II as a Lieutenant Colonel. On February 29, 1960, Melvin Purvis killed himself in his Florence, South Carolina home. He shot himself with the same gun he carried the night Dillinger was killed. It should be noted that at the time of his death, Purvis was slowly and painfully dying of cancer.

Full Otto
10-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Yeah it was, I got to see part of that filmed in Crown Point, they used the actual cell he was in.

Right before it came out they started showing the 1973 "Dillinger" movie. That was kick ass if you haven't seen it it's well worth it.
Weren't Purvis and his guys marshalls brought up from Texas? That film really has them as real bad asses.
Couldn't find it but one of my favorite scenes was when Homer Van Meter was gunned down by some concerned citizens. As he lay shot and asking for a doctor they circled him and just blasted him.
Ah the good old days

HDR
10-31-2010, 07:33 AM
That film really has them as real bad asses.

From what I've read we'd call them shoot happy JBTs today.

El Duce
10-31-2010, 04:09 PM
Too bad it wasn't amnesty registered. Still. Happy to see that it won't be destroyed.

American Rage
10-31-2010, 08:50 PM
I want one!

Too bad she turned it in.

Rage

Full Otto
11-01-2010, 08:40 AM
The story was on local TV and I was on the phone at the time but it appeared they had a collection of military rifles there. I'm going to try and get up there and check it out and maybe get some pictures if it's worthwhile. I'll give them a little time to get this one displayed

cantstop
11-01-2010, 10:13 AM
seems to me it should have been grandfather claused in, unless there was some rule stating that all weapons purchased before 1967 must be registered?
anyone able to shed light on it? war trophy maybe?
history of the gun would be cool to know.

El Laton Caliente
11-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Weren't Purvis and his guys marshalls brought up from Texas? That film really has them as real bad asses.

As much as I'd like to claim him, IIRC, he was from Oklahoma...

Full Otto
11-01-2010, 12:41 PM
seems to me it should have been grandfather claused in, unless there was some rule stating that all weapons purchased before 1967 must be registered?
anyone able to shed light on it? war trophy maybe?
history of the gun would be cool to know.

Your not the only one it is a pisser.
You'd have to move up to 1986 here's a quick reply but should get you headed in the right direction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act
For civilian possession, all machineguns must have been manufactured and registered with the ATF prior to May 19, 1986 to be transferable between citizens. These machinegun prices have drastically escalated in value, especially items like registered sears and conversion-kits. Only a Class-II manufacturer (a FFL holder licensed to manufacture firearms or Type-07 license that has paid a Special Occupational Tax Stamp or SOT) could manufacture machineguns after that date, and they can only be sold to Government, law-enforcement, and military entities. Transfer can only be done to other SOT FFL-holders, and such FFL-holders must have a “demonstration letter” from a respective Government agency to receive such machineguns. Falsification and/or misuse of the “demo-letter” process can and has resulted in long jail sentences and felony convictions for violators.

As much as I'd like to claim him, IIRC, he was from Oklahoma...
Works for me, thanks

cantstop
11-01-2010, 01:59 PM
thanks for the info there lousy 1986 bans lol