PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Load Bearing Vest do you have?

swampdragon
07-20-2010, 01:01 AM
I have an army issue MOLLE vest like this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/mollevest.jpg

I decided I wanted a second vest just for playin' around with.
So I bought an inexpensive one just for casual use.
The funny part is that when it showed up. I actually ended up liking it even MORE than the US issued vest, and it was stupid cheap too!

It's made by ProTech.
I've never heard of them before, but the quality of the vest "seems" to be pretty good.
It even has extra feature that my government model does not.

I ended up switching vests! lol....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/6edd54e1.jpg

I slapped (4) Tactical Taylor AK47 mag pouches on it and haven't looked back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/tacticaltailor.jpg

Now if you REALLY want a good laugh....I actually got the thing from Cheaper Than Dirt of all places.
I can honestly say, this was a surprise from their normally low quality stuff.

For the cheap price, I was blown away by this thing...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE757-1.html

From what I've been able to find out so far...PROTECH is associated with Safariland Corp somehow.
Yet this particular vest is not on their website.
The logo on the vest is identical however.
Dunno?

http://www.protechtactical.com/t-about_us.aspx

NextGen
07-20-2010, 01:09 AM
Eagle Industries plate carrier w/ cummerbund. Very nice quality. Though I wish I would have saved to get a CIRAS.

deth502
07-20-2010, 01:38 AM
i believe the correct nomenclature is "fighting load carrier"

http://www.armygear.net/armygear/images/items/00188_lg.jpg

one like that in desert that i use, plus i just got 2 more in digital just cuz they were dirt cheap, still in the wrap. all milsurp.

swampdragon
07-20-2010, 01:49 AM
i believe the correct nomenclature is "fighting load carrier"

http://www.armygear.net/armygear/images/items/00188_lg.jpg

one like that in desert that i use, plus i just got 2 more in digital just cuz they were dirt cheap, still in the wrap. all milsurp.

For the pics I posted, yes.
But not everybody has that type of vest.
Some are Load Bearing Vests too...as in LBV.
Some have LBE as well.

deth502
07-20-2010, 01:49 AM
btw, 2 dbl 30 rnd ar mags lower front right, one more dbl 30 ar pouch rear right. holster for taurus 92 with extra mag pouch, and a pistol mag pouch, lower front left, and 2 more pistol mag pouches rear left. also came with 2 grenade pouches, thinking of putting them up on the chest area and throw some 00 buck in them.

the vest sits next to the tv with the slung 590, the taurus and ar sit next to the couch/bed, so, should the need arise, i could be ready for the zombies in under 1 min. easily.

deth502
07-20-2010, 01:52 AM
For the pics I posted, yes.
But not everybody has that type of vest.
Some are Load Bearing Vests too...as in LBV.
Some have LBE as well.

i meant for the one i have, that i pictured, before i looked closely at yours and noticed it was the same thing.

swampdragon
07-20-2010, 01:57 AM
btw, 2 dbl 30 rnd ar mags lower front right, one more dbl 30 ar pouch rear right. holster for taurus 92 with extra mag pouch, and a pistol mag pouch, lower front left, and 2 more pistol mag pouches rear left. also came with 2 grenade pouches, thinking of putting them up on the chest area and throw some 00 buck in them.

the vest sits next to the tv with the slung 590, the taurus and ar sit next to the couch/bed, so, should the need arise, i could be ready for the zombies in under 1 min. easily.

Yeah...lol.
I have a bunch more stuff on mine too.
Pistol, knife, pistol ammo, 1st aid kit...etc...
I have to defend myself again rabid cattle if the need arises.

swampdragon
07-20-2010, 01:57 AM
i meant for the one i have, that i pictured, before i looked closely at yours and noticed it was the same thing.

OH!
I get it now.
My mistake.

deth502
07-20-2010, 02:00 AM
hmmm, a small first aid kit aint a bad idea to throw on the middel of the back, just in case. ill have to look into that.

Lysander
07-20-2010, 06:39 AM
I ditched my old "Shihan" rig and am now building up a Molle PC and Molle Vest based on Tactical Tailor's Plate Carrier and MAV harness. I'll be using HSGI Double UMMPs.

RJ Shooter
07-20-2010, 08:22 AM
I have a 5.11 tactical vest that's a standard khaki color. It's got pockets and pouches hidden all over for anything I might need. I don't even own a pair of camouflage anything. :p

I'm in Florida, so I'm not going to be humping it in these crazy Florida Bug infested forests. LOL!!!! My camo is more urban in nature. To blend in here, you wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. ;)

El Jefe
07-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Does my khaki colored fishing vest count? :bouncing-boobies:

Mac_Muz
07-20-2010, 09:39 AM
I have never had one. maybe I might look into these more. But a basic rule i have is to have what I want in a pack and inside the pack. What that means in a vest is that it would need pockets for each item.

I could live with a few items like a knife lashed/patched on so long as the item was secured very well.
I have lost things off packs and off motorcycles before, and too many times. In time I learned if i wanted a item it had better be inside a pack.

I still find lost things, some expensive, other people lost and would never recover. So another rule is anything lashed on better be expendable. I don't like to carry weight hiking, and so there is very little expendable.

Once hiking in dead winter i was overheating, and lashed my parka on my pack. When I wanted it, breaking tree line it was gone. I stashed my pack and ran to where I lashed it on and it was gone. Not good not good at all.

AKTexas
07-20-2010, 09:49 AM
I use a polish chest rig.AK mags fit better than AR mags,the pouches are a little deep for Ar mags unless I put those ranger plates or magpul rubber loops.There are no attachment points on the rig.

AK-J
07-20-2010, 01:28 PM
I've got an old (like 10+ years old) OD Blackhawk tactical vest. Has 6 mag pouches that hold any of the magazines I have, other than the 40rd AK mags, and has a couple of utility pouches as well. It works good enough for now. I would like something else, but it's not a priority.

Solidus-snake
07-20-2010, 01:55 PM
I have a VooDoo tactical OD plate carrier. Has double mag pouches (fits both AK and AR, keep it stocked with both), knife, pistol holster, drop pouch, camelback latched onto back, and medium sized side pouch for carrying stripper clips, cleaning kit, anything. Like this one

http://sap075.channeladvisor.com/popup.aspx?src=images/product/large/198_4_.jpg

Paladin
07-21-2010, 03:29 AM
For load bearing I use my step-son.

chiak47
07-21-2010, 04:06 AM
I have a Eagle Industries and I'm not fond of it...It's a husky cause I weigh 235 pounds and it's still real loose on me.

Zoff12
07-21-2010, 07:14 AM
Looks like mine got lost in the recovery...

I have an Arktis Noorloos rig that I modified with some extra stuff. Hold up to 18 mags. Been looking to replace it with the Eagle Rhodesian setup.

Warlord
07-21-2010, 08:41 AM
I recently came out of the stone ages and upgraded from my old LBE to the new Molly II FLC. Here's a pic. This one I died black, I also have another in woodland cammo. Not an exact configuration, but you get the idea. What a difference in comfort compared to my old LBE, it's a HUGE upgrade.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/3098/imageleb.jpg

O.S.O.K.
07-21-2010, 09:52 AM
I have an ecclectic collection of 1930's to 1980's milsurp, inexpensive eastern block chest pouches and things like a molle patrol pack and stuff like that.

I think I could probably do a good job of outfitting a low budget sci-fy movie...

I love the web gear and pouches that they cobbled together for Star Wars. But I digress.

swampdragon
07-21-2010, 02:27 PM
I recently came out of the stone ages and upgraded from my old LBE to the new Molly II FLC. Here's a pic. This one I died black, I also have another in woodland cammo. Not an exact configuration, but you get the idea. What a difference in comfort compared to my old LBE, it's a HUGE upgrade.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/3098/imageleb.jpg

Yep. The comfort level difference is impressive.

recon
07-21-2010, 07:53 PM
http://www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/001.html

DesertDawg
07-22-2010, 05:39 PM
I use my pockets....

American Rage
07-22-2010, 11:24 PM
How are you setting up your mag pouches? Singles? Doubles? Triples? Also, what type of mag pouches are you using?

Rage

ready
07-22-2010, 11:44 PM
3 AR doubles, support side as well as 2 pistol. You don't want to put too much crap on the front of your vest, makes going prone a bitch. Also, you don't want to have to roll over and expose yourself on reloads. The other thing is, be practical. You don't need 12 rifle mags. The heavier you are, the slower you are, the easier you are to shoot.

smittylite
07-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Original South African M83. Enough room for 3 days of hoofin' it. Not really a load-bearing vest but more of a tactical vest as the pouches are not removeable or reconfigurable.

HDR
07-23-2010, 04:03 PM
You don't want to put too much crap on the front of your vest, makes going prone a bitch.
It also raises you up when you will want to be further down.

Also, you don't want to have to roll over and expose yourself on reloads. The other thing is, be practical. You don't need 12 rifle mags. The heavier you are, the slower you are, the easier you are to shoot.

True, it will also drain your strength.

American Rage
07-23-2010, 07:00 PM
3 AR doubles, support side as well as 2 pistol. You don't want to put too much crap on the front of your vest, makes going prone a bitch. Also, you don't want to have to roll over and expose yourself on reloads. The other thing is, be practical. You don't need 12 rifle mags. The heavier you are, the slower you are, the easier you are to shoot.

So, if I interpret what you said correctly? You are carrying 6 AR mags plus 2 pistol mags on you LBV?

I'd think 6-12 (depending upon mission) mags for the AR, 2 canteens, and a buttpack w/ a poncho, some food, and various important small items such as cleaning kit and such would be about right for the basics. But I'm not for sure with this new molle stuff. You can eliminate the canteens with a camelback. That leaves room for all sorts of equipment on your vest. In the end, I like to keep things fairly light.

Speaking of which, I was once told that 1,000 rds of 55 grain 5.56 weighed around 25 pounds. Thus 12 X 30 = 360 rounds. That's 36% of a thousand. And 36% of 25 pounds would be 9 pounds. How is carrying approximately 9 pounds of ammo too much weight? Just curious.

However, I can certainly see why you wouldn't want mags blocking your oneness with mother earth.

Rage

Paladin
07-23-2010, 07:36 PM
So, if I interpret what you said correctly? You are carrying 6 AR mags plus 2 pistol mags on you LBV?

I'd think 6-12 (depending upon mission) mags for the AR, 2 canteens, and a buttpack w/ a poncho, some food, and various important small items such as cleaning kit and such would be about right for the basics. But I'm not for sure with this new molle stuff. You can eliminate the canteens with a camelback. That leaves room for all sorts of equipment on your vest. In the end, I like to keep things fairly light.

Speaking of which, I was once told that 1,000 rds of 55 grain 5.56 weighed around 25 pounds. Thus 12 X 30 = 360 rounds. That's 36% of a thousand. And 36% of 25 pounds would be 9 pounds. How is carrying approximately 9 pounds of ammo too much weight? Just curious.

However, I can certainly see why you wouldn't want mags blocking your oneness with mother earth.

Rage

I guess it has to do with whether you're kicking down doors or LRRPn'. But I'm with ya Rage. Generally, the more the merrier...

HDR
07-23-2010, 08:49 PM
I guess it has to do with whether you're kicking down doors or LRRPn'. But I'm with ya Rage. Generally, the more the merrier...

LRRP or LRP are long range patrols; they traveled light because a Bird brought them and picked them up. They avoid fights because it isn't their job. Getting detected is terminal.

AKTexas
07-23-2010, 08:52 PM
What about multiple rigs,shotgun,rifle,smg?

Paladin
07-23-2010, 10:32 PM
I have a 5.11 tactical vest that's a standard khaki color. It's got pockets and pouches hidden all over for anything I might need. I don't even own a pair of camouflage anything. :p

I'm in Florida, so I'm not going to be humping it in these crazy Florida Bug infested forests. LOL!!!! My camo is more urban in nature. To blend in here, you wear a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. ;)

I have one too. Really like it. I think they quit making them...

ready
07-24-2010, 12:15 AM

Rage

No, that's just mags, and most of the time, that's negotiable. I didn't want to bore anybody with an itemized list so I was just offering some advice on arranging your load out. Anything I might need ASAP is attached to me, everything else is in my vehicle.

Weight isn't an issue if you just play dress up once in a while and wear it around the house but if you have to wear it every day in 100+ summers and below 0 winters, in vehicles, out of vehicles, run in it, climb in it, fight in it...it matters.

DesertDawg
07-24-2010, 08:42 AM

My last outing to the cat box I never left the COP with less than 14 mags, along with every other gadget and doodad we had to carry. Now at home, in a SHTF scenario I would prolly go with 6-8 mags for my AR and a few for my pistol.

DesertDawg
07-24-2010, 08:45 AM
It also raises you up when you will want to be further down.

True, it will also drain your strength.

The mags in front can be a bitch at times, but I have never really had much of a problem with mag changes while prone...the trick is not to put them all in the front, but mostly to one side. my gear is set up with primary mags on the left side, secondary and other shit right side.

ready
07-24-2010, 12:30 PM
My last outing to the cat box I never left the COP with less than 14 mags, along with every other gadget and doodad we had to carry. Now at home, in a SHTF scenario I would prolly go with 6-8 mags for my AR and a few for my pistol.

14 mags on your person? Is that rifle and pistol?

DesertDawg
07-24-2010, 01:10 PM
14 mags on your person? Is that rifle and pistol?

13 M4 mags on my person, one in the rifle. No M9 mags, as I never took that POS with me.

ready
07-24-2010, 02:07 PM
That's a lot of freakin' bullets.

American Rage
07-24-2010, 02:35 PM
A combat vet told me years ago that water and ammo were the two things of which no soldier could ever carry enough.

Take all you can and then some more. When you need them the most they'll magically get lighter.;)

But then again, I've never been in the military and have no real experience.

Rage

DesertDawg
07-24-2010, 04:14 PM
That's a lot of freakin' bullets.

Better to have and not need...Three of those mags were nothing but tracers, the other ten were regular 4 to 1 standad load.

DesertDawg
07-24-2010, 04:16 PM
A combat vet told me years ago that water and ammo were the two things of which no soldier could ever carry enough.

Take all you can and then some more. When you need them the most they'll magically get lighter.;)

But then again, I've never been in the military and have no real experience.

Rage

That is a very true statement rage....water and ammo, you can eat when your done. LOL!

American Rage
07-25-2010, 02:36 PM
I think I might have to try some of this new Molle style gear out.

Did those of you who switched over to molle buy the entire kit, or just the vest and pieced it together to suit your individual needs?

Rage

ready
07-25-2010, 09:59 PM
I've spent so much money on gear over the years only to sell it because it turned out not to be what I wanted. I'd probably recommend that you get a molle vest that way you can save yourself the headache and make it exactly the way you want it. I would spend that majority of your money on getting a quality vest. Pouches, in my experience, don't have to cost 50 bucks to work. I've used some of the "cheaper" brands, Condor, Voodoo Tactical, etc., with good results.

swampdragon
07-25-2010, 11:05 PM
I think I might have to try some of this new Molle style gear out.

Did those of you who switched over to molle buy the entire kit, or just the vest and pieced it together to suit your individual needs?

Rage

I set mine up piece by piece.
I set mine up for an AK however.

swampdragon
07-25-2010, 11:11 PM

That's how my "home" vest is set up right now too.
4-pouches = 8 AK mags + 1 in the rifle.

4-pistol mags. 2 in a double pouch, 1-on the holster and 1 in the pistol.

American Rage
07-26-2010, 01:29 PM
That's how my "home" vest is set up right now too.
4-pouches = 8 AK mags + 1 in the rifle.

4-pistol mags. 2 in a double pouch, 1-on the holster and 1 in the pistol.

Well, they seem to come in all different types and sizes of kit.

If you get it all, including camelback, backpack, etc. Then we are talking major bucks.

OTOH, if you just buy the basic set up, you can find them for as low as 60-70 bucks.

Hell, one site had 2 sets for $100!

One thing that puzzles me about these "sets" of LBV w/ pouches is that they give you 3 double pouches and 3 single pouches. Why wouldn't they just give you 6 of each or the other?

I ask b/c I'd probably want to go with 6 doubles. Thought about doing the 2 sets for $100 gig and setting up two sets of gear, one light and one heavy. The light would go 6 mags, 2 canteens, 2 accessories pouches. The heavy would go 12 mags, a camelback, and 4-5 accessory pouches.

What's your thoughts?

Rage

swampdragon
07-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Well, they seem to come in all different types and sizes of kit.

If you get it all, including camelback, backpack, etc. Then we are talking major bucks.

OTOH, if you just buy the basic set up, you can find them for as low as 60-70 bucks.

Hell, one site had 2 sets for $100!

One thing that puzzles me about these "sets" of LBV w/ pouches is that they give you 3 double pouches and 3 single pouches. Why would they just give you 6 of each or the other?

I ask b/c I'd probably want to go with 6 doubles. Thought about doing the 2 sets for $100 gig and setting up two sets of gear, one light and one heavy. The light would go 6 mags, 2 canteens, 2 accessories pouches. The heavy would go 12 mags, a camelback, and 4-5 accessory pouches.

What's your thoughts?

Rage

My thoughts are only that the heavier you go, the more you will hate it in the long run.
It really depends on what you think your mission will be...as well as the duration of it.
I went with 8 mags because it kinda splits the difference.
Everybody is different.

I figure if I find myself in a situation where I run through 8 mags, I'm probably already totally fucked anyways...

ready
07-26-2010, 02:57 PM
That's my thought. I carry 7 total rifle, 3 total pistol. If I go through that much ammo., it's time to consider a tactical retreat.

American Rage
07-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys

Another question. These new Load Bearing Vest come packaged with a multitude of pouches. Am I correct in that the 3 mag "shingle" pouch is attached to the vest, and then other pouches (mag or grenade) are attached on top of the "shingle" pouch? If so, then the basic loadout would now seem to be 9 mags on the vest and 1 in the rifle. Can anyone confirm?

One more Q, is the molle buttpack as long/large as it seems?

Rage

swampdragon
07-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks guys

Another question. These new Load Bearing Vest come packaged with a multitude of pouches. Am I correct in that the 3 mag "shingle" pouch is attached to the vest, and then other pouches (mag or grenade) are attached on top of the "shingle" pouch? If so, then the basic loadout would now seem to be 9 mags on the vest and 1 in the rifle. Can anyone confirm?

One more Q, is the molle buttpack as long/large as it seems?

Rage

Shingle pouch holds 3.
It attaches to the vest.
Yes, you can mount pouches on it too.

American Rage
07-26-2010, 05:13 PM
Shingle pouch holds 3.
It attaches to the vest.
Yes, you can mount pouches on it too.

Are the vest padded at all? In some photos it looks like it. In other photos it doesn't.

Rage

swampdragon
07-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Are the vest padded at all? In some photos it looks like it. In other photos it doesn't.

Rage

The belt is padded.

infidel.forever
07-31-2010, 12:18 AM
I've done some horse trading and bought a couple of these,

I'm in Australia and so its regular to "swap" gear when troops meet

swampdragon
07-31-2010, 01:59 AM
I've done some horse trading and bought a couple of these,

I'm in Australia and so its regular to "swap" gear when troops meet

Welcome to the board.

What do you do with those ammo pouches?
I thought you can't have guns in Australia?

infidel.forever
07-31-2010, 02:44 AM
Thy cut the heck out of what we could have thats correct but they did leave us with Bolt actions and light semi pistols ,

if you could pass background and police checks ( or a big campaign donator) you can get them

we have won some small rights back, some professional shooters can have semi auto rifles again , not many , but the way the wild animal control is causing all the issues here it'll grow

I have a Ruger semi auto on order

but for bug out times ;) i'll find something to fill em with i'm sure

swampdragon
07-31-2010, 03:16 AM
Thy cut the heck out of what we could have thats correct but they did leave us with Bolt actions and light semi pistols ,

if you could pass background and police checks ( or a big campaign donator) you can get them

we have won some small rights back, some professional shooters can have semi auto rifles again , not many , but the way the wild animal control is causing all the issues here it'll grow

I have a Ruger semi auto on order

but for bug out times ;) i'll find something to fill em with i'm sure

Well I hope you guys get your rights back one day.
It's a sad thing to me.
I wish you luck.
Anything is better than nothing, but still...

You're a professional shooter?
How are you getting the Ruger?
Which Ruger are you getting?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just curious...

infidel.forever
07-31-2010, 04:51 AM
the gov set what type they could buy and you cant sell em you gotta sell em back to the gov

so i'm getting a mini 14 as thats 1 of 3 allowed and my choice for the job out of the 3 , also the cheapest ;)

when working large animal culls for the government most are ex military weapons like L1A1's that the government supplies but the big culls dont work so its back to small possies of men doing what they can to cull off some of the billions of overpopulated critters we have here

swampdragon
07-31-2010, 07:41 PM
the gov set what type they could buy and you cant sell em you gotta sell em back to the gov

so i'm getting a mini 14 as thats 1 of 3 allowed and my choice for the job out of the 3 , also the cheapest ;)

when working large animal culls for the government most are ex military weapons like L1A1's that the government supplies but the big culls dont work so its back to small possies of men doing what they can to cull off some of the billions of overpopulated critters we have here

Ah.
Now I get it.

infidel.forever
07-31-2010, 09:54 PM
but this being the survival forum, i posted what i'd use for survival/Bug out purposes.

I cross country hunt and hike , nice to be retired with a pension ;)

for that i use a very different rig, i have a old style alice frame with a home made pack and a webbed vest with regular style belt pouches and water bottles bum pack etc

i've yet to play with the new ones yet i'll probaby replace a coupe of the mag pouches with basic style pouches for small gear items and have a collecting pouch for field stripping foods as i travel

just grabbing a hand full of berries or grains every so often add's up to a full meal in a lot less than a day and it all counts

food and water ( and keeping out of sight) in a survival /bugout scenario are most important to me

i'd have a weapon of some type be it rifle or flintlock at home, i just need to get a couple hundred miles through bush to a stash, and i'm sweet for the duration

i dont have rig's for everything, you can only plan for so much , and not being allowed "assault" rifle 's , well you make do with what ya got or can make in SHTF times

swampdragon
07-31-2010, 11:11 PM
but this being the survival forum, i posted what i'd use for survival/Bug out purposes.

I cross country hunt and hike , nice to be retired with a pension ;)

for that i use a very different rig, i have a old style alice frame with a home made pack and a webbed vest with regular style belt pouches and water bottles bum pack etc

i've yet to play with the new ones yet i'll probaby replace a coupe of the mag pouches with basic style pouches for small gear items and have a collecting pouch for field stripping foods as i travel

just grabbing a hand full of berries or grains every so often add's up to a full meal in a lot less than a day and it all counts

food and water ( and keeping out of sight) in a survival /bugout scenario are most important to me

i'd have a weapon of some type be it rifle or flintlock at home, i just need to get a couple hundred miles through bush to a stash, and i'm sweet for the duration

i dont have rig's for everything, you can only plan for so much , and not being allowed "assault" rifle 's , well you make do with what ya got or can make in SHTF times

I'm retired with a pension too.
It sure has it's good points huh?
:ylsuper:

btcave
08-01-2010, 10:33 AM
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/ProductImages/vests/350/23015-4_350x350.jpg

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/mavvestcomplete.aspx

This is the one I use.

American Rage
08-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Is it true that the army's newest LBV can be reconfigured as a chest rig?

Rage

btcave
08-01-2010, 11:32 AM
http://www.campingsurvivalgearreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/molle2_care_and_use.pdf

Here is the PDF of the newest MOLLE Fighting Load Carrier. It's basically the same as Swampdragon uses. It is what they issued us last year when we deployed.

swampdragon
08-01-2010, 01:44 PM
http://www.campingsurvivalgearreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/molle2_care_and_use.pdf

Here is the PDF of the newest MOLLE Fighting Load Carrier. It's basically the same as Swampdragon uses. It is what they issued us last year when we deployed.

Great post!
Showing the NSN's for the parts is a great way for people who are interested to know what they are ordering if they shop on-line or whatever.

American Rage
08-01-2010, 02:21 PM

Thanks

Here's a website where you can buy 2 vests for a $100!

http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/01031x2.html

I'll order later this week

Rage

swampdragon
08-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks

Here's a website where you can buy 2 vests for a $100!

http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/01031x2.html

I'll order later this week

Rage

I just Book Marked the website you posted.
I don't need any more vests, but I see they have a whole lot of other stuff too.
Cool.

I really don't think you'll be disappointed with the vest.
It works really well, and adjusts to perfectly fit just about anybody and everybody I've ever met from the biggest to the smallest, and tallest to the shortest, and skinniest to the fattest.

Warlord
08-01-2010, 06:26 PM
First off DD got to say I love you sig line :anim_beer-1:

"We will cut our enemies down in droves
Our fires will be the substance of their nightmares
The fields of the dead shall serve as evidence of our passing"

Good shit man! :thumbspbig:

Now my newly updated rig from my old LBV.

I took a few pics of my FLC rig for you all to check out, this one is the SHTF rig. 2 tripple mag shingles, 8 doubble mag pouches, 1 gp / compass pouch, butt pack and canteen pouch. The other is black and much lighter, 8 doubble mag holders, one GP pouch and one frag / GP pouch (part of my truck rig).

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/warlordsbunker/flc001.jpg?1280704044

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/warlordsbunker/flc002.jpg?1280704128

I still need to add a few doubble pistol mag pouches (haven't found em yet) and that will be it. I'm pretty sure this configuration will serve me well if need be.

Warlord out :animatedsalute:

btcave
08-01-2010, 10:52 PM
http://a.imageshack.us/img842/5313/dsc00262z.jpg[/IMG]

OK here is my rig as it stands with 6.8 SPC for window dressing.

Next order of business is to sell off the ACU crap and get Multi-Cam replacements. CSM insisted on ACU patten be worn if it wasn't issue gear.

BigDumbGerman
08-18-2010, 09:24 PM
First off, it's great to be back on Gunsnet.

For a couple of years, I've had a ACU Spec-Ops brand "overvest" with mostly spec-ops brand pouches (also some Blackhawk and no-namers). Sportsman's Guide recently offered an as-issued ACU FLC complete with all the fixin's for $50-60. I went for it and new my Spec-Ops brand vest and most of it's pouches need a new home. I'll keep a few purposeful pouches, to interchange with the FLC, but the rest can go at the next gunshow.

The FLC is lighter, and while it provides less MOLLE/PALS space overall, the placement available is more useable and realistically placed. Plus, I'm more familiar with the layout and it adjust faster and easier.

As far as being more comfortable or padded, the belt--as stated--is padded for sure, and the shoulder webbing is wide, soft and durable. I've never had a problem with woodland or desert camo versions, where are very similar.

BDG

PS: The FLC is way lighter and cooler in hot weather than my current set-up. Just wanted to throw that out there!

recon
08-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Not sure I like the straps in the back. No support back there.
www.extremeoutfitters.us/blackhawkcommandochestharness.aspx

Paladin
08-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Not sure I like the straps in the back. No support back there....www.extremeoutfitters.us/blackhawkcommandochestharness.aspx

Looks old school to me.

Here's one from a "few" years ago...

http://www.lkmilitary.com/nva0014.JPG

matshock
08-23-2010, 11:43 AM
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCI0007.JPG

My rhodie vest- I added the drain grommets myself.

I need to get some 3-desert cloth for the shoulder harness.

BigDumbGerman
08-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Have you thought about getting some desert camo netting or a camo "sniper" veil to wrap around there instead? They sell the 6-color chocolate-chip camo nets cheap. You could cut a piece big enough to fit as a veil and wrap that around the yolk and still have a big enough chunk for whatever else you might need. It could pull double duty as a veil or face cover. You could even get a desert colored "Shemagh" head wrap. Just an thought

matshock
08-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Have you thought about getting some desert camo netting or a camo "sniper" veil to wrap around there instead? They sell the 6-color chocolate-chip camo nets cheap. You could cut a piece big enough to fit as a veil and wrap that around the yolk and still have a big enough chunk for whatever else you might need. It could pull double duty as a veil or face cover. You could even get a desert colored "Shemagh" head wrap. Just an thought

Thanks- with that much matierial to work with I could even work in a scary-ass full head pullover. Vegas paramilitary style.

matshock
09-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Ok, here it is with proper cover for the shoulder harness- finally got off my ass and did it.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/3_color_rig_updated-1.JPG

El Jefe
09-01-2010, 06:52 PM
http://a.imageshack.us/img842/5313/dsc00262z.jpg[/IMG]

OK here is my rig as it stands with 6.8 SPC for window dressing.

Next order of business is to sell off the ACU crap and get Multi-Cam replacements. CSM insisted on ACU patten be worn if it wasn't issue gear.

Oh man, I'm pretty sure I hate you now. :)

Charliebravo
09-01-2010, 09:51 PM
I use my pockets....Me too, Durable 5.11 Tactical pants. Each thigh pocket will hold 4 AR mags. Put a pistol on your belt with a Glock mag pouch that'll hold 2 spare 33-rounders and you're in business.

arcangel
09-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Ummmm El Cheapo Tac Force, LBE. 3 double mag pouches lower right, holster left, and 4 pistol mag pouches above the holster. And 2 pouches above the rifle mags. On the back Camel bak and dump pouch filled with MRE's.

Helen Keller
09-03-2010, 09:02 PM
I got 2 Sets of MOLLE FLC one setup for my AR and one setup for my UZI.

I got one whole set at a surplus store for $30 and the other for FREE....along with some other cool stuff.

recon
11-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Good site for lots of different vest's.
http://www.bdstacticalgear.com/cat-chest-rigs_all.cfm

sevlex
11-26-2010, 03:11 PM
I nabbed one of these when SPG had them in stock:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=680051

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/182151_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

Integratedj
12-04-2010, 03:52 PM
For those of you with the FLC, have you worn it with a pack on? Will it work with something like a 72hr pack? Is it comfortable enough for hiking with it?

swampdragon
12-04-2010, 04:49 PM
For those of you with the FLC, have you worn it with a pack on? Will it work with something like a 72hr pack? Is it comfortable enough for hiking with it?

Ummmm...yes....lol
I wore mine with a pack for years.
The military type versions don't have a bunch of straps or buckles or anything on the shoulders at all.
This is on purpose.
It allows you to put on a pack, even with big nice padded shoulder straps, and not have buckles and other crap being pressed and shoved into your shoulders underneath it.
Works pretty good.
Be wary of vests with buckles and straps on the shoulders regardless of what you choose...(if you intend on carrying a pack)

Integratedj
12-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Ummmm...yes....lol
I wore mine with a pack for years.
The military type versions don't have a bunch of straps or buckles or anything on the shoulders at all.
This is on purpose.
It allows you to put on a pack, even with big nice padded shoulder straps, and not have buckles and other crap being pressed and shoved into your shoulders underneath it.
Works pretty good.
Be wary of vests with buckles and straps on the shoulders regardless of what you choose...(if you intend on carrying a pack)

That's what I figured. The shoulders looked great to me, but I wasn't sure about the belt area. My pack has a belt on it as well, and I didn't know if they interfered with each other. My pack is the Rush 72 from 5.11 if that helps.

On these deals you guys are finding for 2 of them for $100. It looked like they were preset up with some pouches. Do they fit AK mags ok, or am I better off buying AK Specific pouches? I've never used this type of system before and have usually just used either an East German or a Polish Mag pouch on a sling. This is all new to me and I'd like to not buy things I later find out don't work for me.

swampdragon
12-04-2010, 08:31 PM
That's what I figured. The shoulders looked great to me, but I wasn't sure about the belt area. My pack has a belt on it as well, and I didn't know if they interfered with each other. My pack is the Rush 72 from 5.11 if that helps.

On these deals you guys are finding for 2 of them for $100. It looked like they were preset up with some pouches. Do they fit AK mags ok, or am I better off buying AK Specific pouches? I've never used this type of system before and have usually just used either an East German or a Polish Mag pouch on a sling. This is all new to me and I'd like to not buy things I later find out don't work for me.

The "kit" vests are for M4/M16s.
For an AK, you are better off to buy an empty vest and get AK specific pouches.

Integratedj
12-04-2010, 08:37 PM
The "kit" vests are for M4/M16s.
For an AK, you are better off to buy an empty vest and get AK specific pouches.

Thanks, I like saving money.

Uncle Scary
12-04-2010, 09:10 PM
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/9352/tacticalvestenhanced2jp.jpg

I use the enhanced load bearing vest, and I also have an 1980's issue Alice pistol belt and H-harness setup with mag pouches, holster, and fanny pack. I have a TacForce Molle vest, and frankly, I hate it. It's very utilitarian with it's modularity and all that crap, but it is hot and uncomfortable to wear. If you had to wear a nylon "blanket" that covered most of your torso while you ran, crouched, and then ran a little more in summer heat, you might appreciate obsolete load bearing technologies a little more.

swampdragon
12-05-2010, 02:18 AM
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/9352/tacticalvestenhanced2jp.jpg

I use the enhanced load bearing vest, and I also have an 1980's issue Alice pistol belt and H-harness setup with mag pouches, holster, and fanny pack. I have a TacForce Molle vest, and frankly, I hate it. It's very utilitarian with it's modularity and all that crap, but it is hot and uncomfortable to wear. If you had to wear a nylon "blanket" that covered most of your torso while you ran, crouched, and then ran a little more in summer heat, you might appreciate obsolete load bearing technologies a little more.

LOL....

I had one of those for several years actually.
They were issued to us.
We had a choice of either those, or a standard pistol belt and suspenders.
The snaps on the ammo pouches used to come off.
I had to DX 2 or 3 of those.
Usually when you were soaked and wet, that's when the snaps would pull out.
When dry, I never had a problem with them.
It was weird.

swampdragon
12-05-2010, 02:29 AM
Thanks, I like saving money.

My 2 favorite AK specific pouches are the Tactical Tailor and the Blackhawk STRIKE pouches.
They are totally different from each other though, so it just depends on what you want.

The STRIKE pouches are much faster to pull mags out of while reloading.
But the TT pouches are super secure (but way slower) and you never have to worry about losing your mags....like almost never!
You'll find something you like I'm sure regardless.
There are a lot choices out there for MOLLE gear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/7116d5f9.jpg

My only advice is to stay away from snaps.

Integratedj
12-05-2010, 09:42 AM
My 2 favorite AK specific pouches are the Tactical Tailor and the Blackhawk STRIKE pouches.
They are totally different from each other though, so it just depends on what you want.

The STRIKE pouches are much faster to pull mags out of while reloading.
But the TT pouches are super secure (but way slower) and you never have to worry about losing your mags....like almost never!
You'll find something you like I'm sure regardless.
There are a lot choices out there for MOLLE gear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/7116d5f9.jpg

My only advice is to stay away from snaps.

By snaps, are you talking about the metal button type snaps? Yeah I hate those. I've never had them stay closed, and they always pop at the wrong damn times. Like when you are leaning out of a tree stand and drawing back on your bow... Deer hear them really well and then run the wrong way...

swampdragon
12-05-2010, 05:07 PM
By snaps, are you talking about the metal button type snaps? Yeah I hate those. I've never had them stay closed, and they always pop at the wrong damn times. Like when you are leaning out of a tree stand and drawing back on your bow... Deer hear them really well and then run the wrong way...

Yes.
The round snaps like in this pic.
They are really nice when they are BRAND NEW, but they wear out, get bent out of shape, pull out, and all sorts of things once they've been used for a while.
Avoid these if you can.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/d8c3d7f4.gif

Integratedj
12-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Yeah, that was already in my thought process. Those types always piss me off eventually.
I was able to find a New FLC on Ebay for $10, so that will be a start for me.

swampdragon
12-06-2010, 03:26 AM
Yeah, that was already in my thought process. Those types always piss me off eventually.
I was able to find a New FLC on Ebay for $10, so that will be a start for me.

Cool.
What did you get?

Integratedj
12-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Cool.
What did you get?

The FLC II that we've been talking about. I saw one for $10 and figured might as well get started with it.

recon
02-20-2011, 12:29 PM
I nabbed one of these when SPG had them in stock:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=680051

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/182151_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

Looks like there getting these in again on mar.14.

recon
02-20-2011, 12:37 PM
http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/product/product_id/1802/category_id/209/category_chain/62,209/product_name/7+Pocket+Chest+Rig

BigDumbGerman
03-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Uncle Scary/Swampdragon: This is no shit. Plus, going prone or crawling with torso-mounted pouches is a real bitch and damages shit you might need to live/work in the coming days/hours. Never a problem if your web gear was set up right, or you popped your pistol belt open...

Then again, I don't know how much folks go prone or crawl anymore. Which controller button combo is that on "Black Ops" or "Modern Warfare" anyway?

That said, the current "FLC" vest/harness is pretty flexible in set-up and fits over body armor. Chest rigs and vests work OK getting in and out of vehicles and in MOUT.

The nice thing about those LBVs is that you could adjust the pouches low and to the outside... Wish I'd have held on to mine, but figured I ought to keep up with the jonseses.

BDG