PDA

View Full Version : The Ninth Circuit Panel and Nordyke v. King

Gunreference1
07-20-2010, 06:26 AM
The Ninth Circuit Panel in Nordyke v. King Seems Open to Reconsidering Its Earlier Decision About the Second Amendment and Gun Shows

Eugene Volokh • July 19, 2010 3:43 pm

In 2009, a Ninth Circuit panel held (in Nordyke v. King) that the Second Amendment was incorporated against the states, but concluded that a ban on gun possession on county property was nonetheless constitutional. The Ninth Circuit then agreed to rehear the matter en banc, but then suspended its consideration of the case while it waited for the Supreme Court to resolve the incorporation question in McDonald v. City of Chicago. Following McDonald, the Ninth Circuit sent the case back to the panel; at the time, I predicted that the panel would likely just reaffirm its initial decisions.

That’s not so clear any more, because today the panel expressly called for further briefing:

The parties are ordered to file supplemental briefs addressing:

(1) the impact of McDonald v. City of Chicago, No. 08–1521, 2010 WL 2555188 (U.S. June 28, 2010), on the disposition of this case; and

(2) any other issue properly before this court, including the level of scrutiny that should be applied to the ordinance in question.

The express mention of the level of scrutiny suggests that the panel might be willing to reconsider the issue. My guess is still that the panel will largely say what it said before, or perhaps reach much the same result but instead relying on cases such as Webster v. Reproductive Health Servs. (1989), which held that the right to abortion did not include the right to perform abortions in a state-owned hospital (even if the abortions imposed no extra cost on the hospital). But its most recent order makes that far more clear, and a victory for the gun show organizers more likely (though I think on balance still not very likely). Here, for whatever it’s worth, is my analysis of the original panel opinion:

The panel’s reasoning was basically this:

1. The ordinance that barred possession of guns on county property did not materially burden people’s ability to defend themselves on private property, especially in the home.

2. The government generally has the power to restrict the exercise of constitutional rights on government property, citing the Court’s abortion rights cases. Probably the strongest such case on the county’s side, which the panel didn’t cite, was Webster v. Reproductive Health Servs. (1989), which upheld a state law banning “the use of public employees and facilities [including any public institution, public facility, public equipment, or any physical asset owned, leased, or controlled by this state or any agency or political subdivisions thereof] for the performance or assistance of nontherapeutic abortions.”

3. Heller’s suggestion that the government may ban “the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings” also applied to “the open, public spaces the County’s Ordinance covers,” including county parks and the fairgrounds. The panel suggests that “The Court listed schools and government buildings as examples, presumably because possessing firearms in such places risks harm to great numbers of defenseless people (e.g., children). Along the same lines, we notice that government buildings and schools are important to government functioning.”

It’s not clear exactly what test the panel was applying for deciding what constitutes a “sensitive place[],” especially since county parks and the fairgrounds are probably not as “important to government functioning” as are schools (running which has long been seen by American state constitutions as a core government function) and many government buildings. Is it that all “prohibiti[ons on] firearm possession on municipal property,” including public streets and sidewalks — i.e., total carry bans, including in one’s car or on one’s person on the sidewalk — are constitutionally permissible? (Note that while the government generally has the right to restrict the exercise of many constitutional rights, including not just abortion rights but free speech rights, in many government buildings, it generally is substantially constrained by many provisions — such as the First and Fourth Amendments — on public streets and sidewalks.)

Would the “sensitive places” exception cover only prohibitions in places “where high numbers of people might congregate” (with the threshold perhaps higher than the number of people that would usually be present on a normal city sidewalk)? Would state and federal parks in the sense of Yosemite and the like, as opposed to small city and county parks, also qualify? What about people’s apartments in public housing projects, which are “municipal property” but not themselves places where many people congregate? (I discuss these questions to some extent in my Implementing the Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Self-Defense article, especially PDF pp. 31–33 and 87–91.) I’m inclined to say that the panel’s general analysis on this guns-on-public-property is considerably more cursory and less clear than it ought to be — though I’d also say that, for reason 1 noted above, coupled with aspects of reason 2, the ordinance would be clearly constitutional when applied to selling guns on government property, and displaying them for sale there.

http://volokh.com/2010/07/19/might-the-ninth-circuit-panel-in-nordyke-v-king-reconsider-its-earlier-decision-about-the-second-amendment-and-gun-shows/#more-34493

Steve

Sidartha
07-21-2010, 10:14 AM
First thing's first. I'm not nor will I ever be a Lawyer, I really don't know if this question is stupid.
But.
Since Heller was a ruling against DC and not necessarily applicable to the states wouldn't McDonald be the prevailing case law to reference?
Also I'll say to my shame that I haven't read the McDonald ruling.

L1A1Rocker
07-21-2010, 10:44 AM
First thing's first. I'm not nor will I ever be a Lawyer, I really don't know if this question is stupid.
But.
Since Heller was a ruling against DC and not necessarily applicable to the states wouldn't McDonald be the prevailing case law to reference?
Also I'll say to my shame that I haven't read the McDonald ruling.

Not according to case law doctrine. Mcdonald applied the 2A to the states and cities. So now when the issue comes up in court the courts must look to how previous case law handled things - that would be Heller and Miller with any conflicts going to the most recent SCOTUS rulling.

Gunreference1
08-20-2010, 06:08 AM
Thursday, August 19th, 2010 at 10:41 am

Multiple Legal Briefs Filed In Nordyke V. Alameda Over Second Amendment

Ninth Circuit Case May Determine The Standard Of Review For Scrutinizing Laws Facing Second Amendment Challenges.

California - -(AmmoLand.com)- Multiple briefs have been filed in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals supporting gun show owners who have challenged an Alameda County ordinance banning firearms on county property, including the county fairgrounds.

These include amicus briefs by the National Rifle Association, CATO Institute, Second Amendment Foundation, and Calguns Foundation, as well as the brief for the plaintiffs, the Nordykes. Yesterday The CRPA Foundation (CRPAF) filed its amicusbrief.

Copies of the briefs are being posted at www.calgunlaws.com as they become available.

The Alameda ordinance effectively prohibits gun shows from taking place on the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton, California. The Nordyke family promoted gun shows at the fairgrounds from 1991 to 1999. Although no violence was associated with the gun show, Alameda County nonetheless passed the ordinance in 1999 as a way to stop pro-Second Amendment and civil rights activists from gathering there. The Nordykes sued, challenging the ordinance on multiple grounds.

The case has a long and convoluted history. But as the case has progressed the legal issues have narrowed down to whether the ordinance unconstitutionally infringes on the Second Amendment rights of those who promoted or attended the show.

After the trial court most recently ruled against the Nordykes, they appealed. On April 20, 2009, the three-judge Nordyke appeals court panel was the first in the nation to rule that the Second Amendment’s prohibition against infringing on the individual right to keep and bear arms applies not just to federal action, but state and local action as well. Two other circuits, the Second and Seventh, had ruled that the Second Amendment only limits federal government actions.

A federal appellate court ruling applying the Second Amendment to the states via the “incorporation” doctrine was the next major goal for gun rights advocates following the June 2008 decision in District of Columbia v. Heller, in which the United States Supreme Court confirmed that the Second Amendment protects a fundamental individual right to self defense and to keep and bear arms. So the Ninth Circuit incorporation ruling in Nordyke was welcome news, and bolstered the arguments for incorporation made in McDonald v. Chicago before the United State Supreme Court.

Although the three-judge panel ruled that the Second Amendment was incorporated, it also held that the Alameda County ordinance was not an unconstitutional infringement of the Second Amendment. The case went up to the Ninth Circuit en banc panel, which stayed the case pending the McDonald decision. When the McDonald decision came down in June 2010 and confirmed the three-judge panel’s conclusion that the Second Amendment applied to state and local actions, the en banc panel sent the case back down to the three judge panel for further consideration.

So the Nordyke case is now back being reconsidered before the three-judge panel in light of the ruling in McDonald v. Chicago. But with the incorporation issue resolved, the three-judge panel is now primarily considering whether the fairgrounds or county property, is a “sensitive place” of the type mentioned in the Heller case where restrictions on firearms such as the Alameda County ordinance would not be unconstitutional under the Second Amendment.

The Nordyke case is significant because the gun ban lobby in California has made and continues to make a concerted effort to pass these types of ordinances around the state and to ban all gun shows in the process as a way to eradicate the gun culture.

The California Rifle and Pistol Association “CRPA,” founded in 1875, is dedicated to defending the rights of law-abiding citizens to responsibly use firearms for self-defense and the defense of their loved ones, for sport, and for all other legal activities. CRPA is the official state association of the National Rifle Association. A California non-profit association, CRPA is independently directed by its own Board of Directors. CRPA’s members include law enforcement officers, prosecutors, professionals, firearm experts, the general public, and loving parents. CRPA has always worked to reduce the criminal misuse of firearms and firearms accidents, while actively promoting and organizing the competitive shooting sports and Olympic training programs in California. We are proud to say that many CRPA competitors are among the best in the world. www.calgunlaws.com

Distributed to you by - AmmoLand.com – The Shooting Sports News source.

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/08/19/legal-briefs-filed-in-nordyke-v-alameda-over-second-amendment/

Steve

Gunreference1
09-08-2010, 12:47 AM
California Bans Gun Shows

By Online Tuesday, September 7, 2010

We are at a crossroads that will determine the future of our Second Amendment Rights. The gun-haters have made it clear they will not respect the recent Supreme Court gun victory. Russell and Sallie Nordyke are victims of the anti-gunners nation-wide assault on our freedom. The couple had operated a gun show on the fairgrounds in Alameda County, California. In 1998, a shooting that was completely unrelated occurred on the fairgrounds. City officials blamed the shooting on the Nordyke’s gun show and passed a law prohibiting all gun shows. SAF has just filed an amicus brief in the Nordyke vs. King case. The outcome of this case will determine if anti-gunners across America can continue to pass laws to grab your guns!

Click the link below to see the rest of the story.

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/27429

Steve

Gunreference1
09-22-2010, 09:10 AM
October 19th - Nordyke v King gun rights case to be heard.

September 22nd, 2010 2:41 am PT

On October 19th, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals will hear oral arguments on Nordyke v King. On its face, the case is about whether or not gun show operators, the Nordykes, can conduct guns shows, and people can carry guns, on public property in Alameda County; specifically at the County Fairgrounds.

The case has an eleven year history which I won't repeat here. The cost to the county is going to be enormous when the Nordykes finally win their case. If the ramifications of the ruling were restricted to the financial losses facing Alameda County, the story would be relegated to the back pages of the financial section of your newspaper.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.examiner.com/la-in-los-angeles/october-19th-nordyke-v-king-gun-rights-case-to-be-heard

Steve

Gunreference1
11-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Gun Show Returns to Cow Palace, Despite Complaints

Locals worry about loose firearm sales in a dangerous neighborhood

By Aaron Glantz on November 11, 2010 - 7:47 p.m. PST

Thousands of firearms enthusiasts will descend on the Cow Palace this weekend for the Crossroads of the West Gun Show, despite ongoing attempts by the community to shut it down.

“There are a lot of people in that neighborhood who’re getting bumped,” said Rudy Corpuz, an ex-felon who founded the gang prevention group United Playaz, noting the Cow Palace is just a few blocks away from the Sunnydale public housing project, one of the most dangerous places in San Francisco.

http://www.baycitizen.org/crime/story/gun-show-returns-cow-palace-despite/

Steve

Gunreference1
05-03-2011, 04:08 AM
Alameda County gun show backers suffer setback

Bob Egelko, Chronicle Staff Writer (begelko@sfchronicle.com) San Francisco Chronicle
May 2, 2011 04:00 AM Copyright San Francisco Chronicle. (05-02) 16:17 PDT

PLEASANTON -- A federal appeals court panel ruled Monday that gun show promoters have failed to show that a ban on firearms at the Alameda County Fairgrounds violates their right to keep and bear arms.

Rather than dismissing the promoters' 12-year-old lawsuit, however, the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco gave the plaintiffs another chance to produce evidence that the ban unreasonably restricts law-abiding citizens' ability to obtain guns for self-defense.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/02/BASI1JAQ2A.DTL&tsp=1

Steve

imanaknut
05-03-2011, 03:05 PM
I keep waiting for some county official to use the regulations on our second amendment rights as proof that the officials can also regulate the first amendment. I can't wait to hear the news media complaining when they are told that regulations are needed to keep them in check.

Hey if they can regulate the second, what is to stop them from regulating the first. And if they can't regulate the first, why the heck do we keep allowing them to regulate the second????

Gunreference1
11-29-2011, 10:21 AM
9th Circuit agrees to rehear long-running Alameda County gun rights case

By Howard Mintz hmintz@mercurynews.com
Posted: 11/28/2011 04:57:38 PM PST
Updated: 11/29/2011 06:48:47 AM PST

A federal appeals court on Monday once again decided to weigh in on an epic 12-year-old gun rights showdown over an Alameda County ordinance banning guns and ammunition on public property.

In a brief order, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed to rehear a legal challenge to the 1999 law, which restricts gun shows on county property, including Alameda County's fairgrounds. The order, which calls for an 11-judge 9th Circuit panel to hear the case, wipes out a ruling from May by three 9th Circuit judges who unanimously agreed to uphold the legality of the ordinance.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_19427869

Steve

Gunreference1
03-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Gun shows caught in the crossfire

By Howard Mintz (hmintz@mercurynews.com?subject=San Jose Mercury News:)
hmintz@mercurynews.commercurynews.com (hmintz@mercurynews.com)

Posted: 03/18/2012 04:14:27 PM PDT
March 19, 2012 4:54 AM GMT
Updated: 03/18/2012 09:54:56 PM PDT

Before the end of this year, Russell and Sallie Nordyke will set up shop for at least five gun shows at the Santa Clara County fairgrounds, providing a gathering spot for thousands of gun enthusiasts to buy and sell rifles, pistols and other weapons.

For the Glenn County couple, the South Bay is a small island amid a sea of hostility toward their TS Gun Shows. Bay Area counties from Alameda and Marin to San Mateo have enacted laws that forbid the sale or possession of guns on government property, effectively banning gun shows at some of the best spots to hold them.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_20202757/gun-shows-caught-crossfire

Steve

Gunreference1
04-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Alameda County gun ban sent to arbitration

Bob Egelko (begelko@sfchronicle.com)Thursday, April 5, 2012

Nearly 13 years after Alameda County outlawed private gun possession on the county fairgrounds in Pleasanton, a federal appeals court said Wednesday that gun shows might resume if promoters and the county can agree on safety measures.

County supervisors prohibited guns on all county property, including the fairgrounds, a year after a July 1998 melee at the fair in which shots were fired and 16 people were injured.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/04/BAOM1NUS1H.DTL

Steve

Gunreference1
06-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Gun Show Restriction Ruled Legal, Ending 12-Year Battle

Friday, 01 Jun 2012 03:49 PM

A years-long showdown over the right to bear arms in California's Alameda County appears to be over now that the county has agreed to allow tightly restricted gun shows on government property.

http://www.newsmax.com/US/Alameda-Gun-Show-Ban/2012/06/01/id/440966

Steve

Dr. Gonzo GED
06-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Gun Show Restriction Ruled Legal, Ending 12-Year Battle

Friday, 01 Jun 2012 03:49 PM

A years-long showdown over the right to bear arms in California's Alameda County appears to be over now that the county has agreed to allow tightly restricted gun shows on government property.

http://www.newsmax.com/US/Alameda-Gun-Show-Ban/2012/06/01/id/440966

Steve
"That ordinance allows gun dealers to sell their wares on county property so long as the guns are unloaded and attached by a sturdy cable to a display table."

That doesn't seems terribly unreasonable. It's certainly a far cry from the total ban they wanted to enforce. I loike how they had to use the wording "tightly resricted" to make this not sound like they lost their case. Which, in lew of the "tight restrictions" comprising what is probably a universal gun show rule and a $3 cable it most definitely is.