PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Taking a Train Trip

ltorlo64
11-02-2010, 09:26 AM
My wife and I are looking at taking a trip for our 25th anniversary. We looked at going to Hawaii, taking a cruise and then we thought about taking a train trip. For a week, 8 days actually, it is cheaper than the other two options. We will get a sleeper car and go from Seattle to Chicago. Spend a day in Chicago and then head to LA, and then go back up the coast to Seattle. It will sort of like a cruise. Because we will have a sleeper car all our meals are paid for as part of the ticket. I think this will be very relaxing. We love to travel by car, and this should be like traveling by car without my wife reminding to pay more attention to the road and less to the scenery.

abpt1
11-02-2010, 09:39 AM
http://www.tahiti-tourisme.com/gallery/paging.asp?category=Hotels

El Jefe
11-02-2010, 10:00 AM
My wife and I are looking at taking a trip for our 25th anniversary. We looked at going to Hawaii, taking a cruise and then we thought about taking a train trip. For a week, 8 days actually, it is cheaper than the other two options. We will get a sleeper car and go from Seattle to Chicago. Spend a day in Chicago and then head to LA, and then go back up the coast to Seattle. It will sort of like a cruise. Because we will have a sleeper car all our meals are paid for as part of the ticket. I think this will be very relaxing. We love to travel by car, and this should be like traveling by car without my wife reminding to pay more attention to the road and less to the scenery.

Sounds like a cool idea, one of my brothers used to take Amtrak from KC to Chicago every once in a while and he enjoyed it.

Dr. Gonzo GED
11-02-2010, 11:17 AM
It sounds like you'll spend most of your vacation on a train.

The train is nice and all, but a whole week wtaching the world go by without getting to run around in any of the awesome scenery you'll be passing through?

But if that sounds cool to you, go for it!

ltorlo64
11-02-2010, 12:01 PM
It sounds like you'll spend most of your vacation on a train.

The train is nice and all, but a whole week wtaching the world go by without getting to run around in any of the awesome scenery you'll be passing through?

But if that sounds cool to you, go for it!

I am concerned about that, but we do that when we drive. We are bad about that. We choose a destination and say we will stop at places along the way, but then we never do. We get to where we are going and enjoy the destination and then drive back. This way we can at least walk the train, just like a cruise, except on land. Anyway, that is what we are hoping.

az_paul
11-03-2010, 01:15 AM
Sounds like a fun trip. We've been talking about a train trip across Canada to enjoy the beautiful scenery, but have yet to do it.

swampdragon
11-03-2010, 01:29 AM
I've got some cheap train tickets to Hawaii I'll sell you.

chiak47
11-03-2010, 04:55 AM

And you wonder why people want to meet you in some desolate third world shithole.
:sex012:
:coffee:

swampdragon
11-03-2010, 01:45 PM
And you wonder why people want to meet you in some desolate third world shithole.
:sex012:
:coffee:

:rofl:

Dr. Gonzo GED
11-03-2010, 02:27 PM
I am concerned about that, but we do that when we drive. We are bad about that. We choose a destination and say we will stop at places along the way, but then we never do. We get to where we are going and enjoy the destination and then drive back. This way we can at least walk the train, just like a cruise, except on land. Anyway, that is what we are hoping.
In that case a train trip would be much more enjoyable. Lots of room to stretch out. Somebody else does the driving. Big ol' observation car to lounge in. And you get to see scenery that the highways just don't pass through.

You might want to "BYOB" though, as the drinks from the lounge are expensive and watered down, if your the drinking sort that is...

ATAK, Inc.
11-03-2010, 02:53 PM

My Mom took a train trip from Vancouver to Eastern Canada back in 2003 and absolutely loved it. May be too late in the year for that particular trip unless done soon. I've never been one to be cooped up, either on a train or a cruise ship, but that's me. But I'm the same way when it comes to a road trip, we go to get where we're going, but in the last couple of years have been a bit better about stopping along the way to take in secondary sites.

Main thing, life is too short not to go out and do what you want to do!

slamfire51
11-03-2010, 03:06 PM
I like the idea.
I took a ride on a train from Minneapolis to Duluth. The tracks at Duluth were on piers on Lake Superior. Kinda scary, but fun.

The trip you have planned is what I'd like to do someday. I hope you enjoy it and that it will add to the anniversary experience.
Send us a post card. LOL

Arnulf
11-03-2010, 04:20 PM

You should go all the way to Detroit....then you would pass through my area....and I can moon you.:laughingtohard:

HDR
11-03-2010, 04:47 PM
ltorlo64
A train trip really sounds good. There are so many choices; if you Look into it you'll be really surprised where these passenger trains go. I know I sure was.

To be honest, I've thought about taking one myself.

HDR
11-03-2010, 04:49 PM
You should go all the way to Detroit....then you would pass through my area....and I can moon you.:laughingtohard:

I can see it now...

ltorlo64 and Mrs. ltorlo64 throwing candy to you from the back of train just the same as in the Color Purple..

lol

ltorlo64
11-03-2010, 05:42 PM

A new verse for "The Streak". "I said, Don't look Ethel, but it was to late, she saw a full moon".

ltorlo64
11-03-2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks. I'll send you a PM. It will be soon, so I bet you can't hold your breath until it arrives!:dizzy:

Arnulf
11-03-2010, 05:51 PM
I can see it now...

ltorlo64 and Mrs. ltorlo64 throwing candy to you from the back of train just the same as in the Color Purple..

lol

I will be waiting.:eyebrows:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/nordland/TrainStation1.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/nordland/TrainStation.jpg

ksuguy
11-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Here's a good forum about traveling by train here in the US. http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/

I was looking into a train trip awhile back and found it to be a good source of info. Unfortunately, there isn't any good way to get to most of the places I want to go from the station nearest to me.

I just wish Amtrak would allow firearms in their checked baggage. I'd really like to take a train trip out to Raton, NM with a couple rifles and do some shooting at the whittington center.

EDIT: Looks like the policy changed recently. I was just browing around on that forum, and it looks like you CAN take firearms in checked baggage now. Awesome!

Arnulf
11-03-2010, 10:02 PM
A new verse for "The Streak". "I said, Don't look Ethel, but it was to late, she saw a full moon".

A hairy moon.:big-eye-eek: