PDA

View Full Version : Your First ChiCom

archivist dick
11-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Fiery revolutionary greetings, comrades.

I was recalling my first ChiCom Type 56S Rifle the other day. It was a PolyTech Legend from the Old Town Armory in Alexandria, Virginia.

What is bitter to this day was how mercenary that store was, back in the summer of 1989 when they realized they had me over a barrel. Back then all I knew was ChiComs altho there were a few Maadis and Hungarians floating about unknown to me at the time; probably would have bought Chinese anyway even if presented a choice for historical reasons (Vietnam) if nothing else.

That was a very poor time to be getting into these for sure; a convicted felon on parole, Patrick Purdy, had lit up a school yard in Stockton, California about six months beforehand, which led to an import ban which led to a run on all semi-auto rifles and carbines.

Due to developing professional circumstance, I needed an AK-style rifle urgently. And Old Town Armory raped me on the deal: $900 !!! And they removed two outta three magazines from the box prior to my arrival on their premises to clinch the arrangement even. Bastards.

Nice gun tho. Made my money back, barely, in '93 when I sold it to help keep my farm operational. Yup, I do miss it. Last time I checked, OTA is outta business which is fine by me, the pricks. The whole sordid affair led me to successfully acquire my own 001FFL so a certain amount of lemonade was produced (always good for something positive to come out of the negative).

What was your first ChiCom axe? When did you purchase it. And what became of it?

bovver
11-29-2010, 07:20 PM
my first(and only)is a NHM-91 I picked up about 5-6 years ago.
I have it dressed in russian RPK wood and grip.
and have another chinese ak type of bipod for it.(we all know the nhm bipods blow)
the end is threaded and hase a chinese made 74 type brake.
I am looking into getting a new FSB so I can have a cleaning rod.

nfafan
01-02-2011, 10:13 PM
The first CHICOM AK I actually owned, as opposed to sell as a dealer in the 80's when Norincos, PolyTechs, Clacos, B-Wests etc were everywhere for under $300.00?
That'd be about 3 weeks ago; snagged a ban-config stamped PolyTech "AKS-762 SP" - barely fired, mint and complete except for the manual.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/nfafan/PolyTechAKS-762SP/entireaks.jpg

Absolutely nicer than my WASRs, but I'm not so sure it is as nice as my boutique-built Polski U/Folder.

Wild Bill
01-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Nice Rifle nfafan. My first chicom was back in 93; a Norinco 56-S folder I picked up at a pawn shop for $325. I sold it in 2000 prior to the y2k scare for $1350 and switched to a Hungarian SA-85 folder. It was a nice shooter, but the SA-85 was mint.

Dieselbuilder
01-08-2011, 06:05 PM
My first Chicom was one of these NIB. I later had to let it go to pay some past due bills in hard times. Wish I still had it as it was a gift from my wife and daughter.
http://www.hk94.com/images/sks-montecarlo.jpg

Hobe Sound AK
04-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Good to be back on this Forum. My first Chicom was March, 1989. Polytech Type-56-2 NIB. How I regret selling it to this day.

blade
04-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Oh my my my..what a SWEEEEEET trigger & purty accurate too!!!!!
Got it soon after I found gunsnet from a member then named Brad.
His wife was Rhoda & they were from Oregon I believe.

:anim_beer-1: