PDA

View Full Version : The Browning Automatic Rifle cut down enemies from WWI to Vietnam

Gunreference1
03-10-2020, 10:25 AM
https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/the-browning-automatic-rifle-cut-down-enemies-from-wwi-to-vietnam?utm_source=social&utm_medium=organic+facebook&utm_campaign=traffic&utm_content=history&utm_term=logan+nye&fbclid=IwAR1sW52Pk2hHnq2KYldpJPCJv6lUE4Wa0UOUVDt2b YuAaxCpvUDJSZd3AC8

Steve

tank_monkey
03-10-2020, 03:17 PM
https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/the-browning-automatic-rifle-cut-down-enemies-from-wwi-to-vietnam?utm_source=social&utm_medium=organic+facebook&utm_campaign=traffic&utm_content=history&utm_term=logan+nye&fbclid=IwAR1sW52Pk2hHnq2KYldpJPCJv6lUE4Wa0UOUVDt2b YuAaxCpvUDJSZd3AC8

Steve

Any one else hear the urban myth that the US Army didn't want to issue the BAR to troops in the GREAT WAR, due to fears of it falling into 'enemy hands"?

This was actually repeated on a History Channel show once. But I've heard that this theory was bullshit. No Army would develop superior technology to their enemy and NOT USE IT in the field. What I heard was that it took a long time to ramp up production of the BAR and not enough time was allowed for large numbers to be issued to American troops. We were able to ramp up MEN far faster than new equipment, so we had thousands of men being shipped to Europe without the latest equipment. So our troops had to use the dreaded Chauchat. But that wasn't intentional on the part of the War Department. :D

alismith
03-10-2020, 04:04 PM
Any one else hear the urban myth that the US Army didn't want to issue the BAR to troops in the GREAT WAR, due to fears of it falling into 'enemy hands"?

This was actually repeated on a History Channel show once. But I've heard that this theory was bullshit. No Army would develop superior technology to their enemy and NOT USE IT in the field. What I heard was that it took a long time to ramp up production of the BAR and not enough time was allowed for large numbers to be issued to American troops. We were able to ramp up MEN far faster than new equipment, so we had thousands of men being shipped to Europe without the latest equipment. So our troops had to use the dreaded Chauchat. But that wasn't intentional on the part of the War Department. :D

If the Commucrats ever took power, they'd do exactly that for fear of being called unfair on the battlefield. They have to show how compassionate they are to others, even to those who want to kill us....