PDA

View Full Version : Brass Cleaning Media.

aliceinchains
11-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Now i am talking dry media for your tumbler. What do you use . How much do you pay. And where do you buy it from.

Also what is your favorite recommendation of cleaning media.

abpt1
11-05-2010, 10:43 PM
I only use crushed walnut from midway .

with the recommended amount of Dillon polish plus 7-10 1x1 patches soaked with Dillon brass polish

Schuetzenman
11-06-2010, 12:05 AM
I use only crushed walnut media as well. It cleans way faster than corn cob. I use Flitz polish squirted into it. How much does it cost, hell if I can remember. Last time I bought any it was 1999. Been running off of that batch since then. I think I recall reading that crushed walnut hulls is sold in bulk at some pet stores to put in reptile tanks as a soil substitute. Haven't looked for any yet but I am about due to get some more, the old stuff is wearing out.

azhonkey
11-06-2010, 09:03 AM
go to the pet store and get a bag of "lizard litter" its ground up walnut shells.about six bucks if i remember right.works good.

btcave
11-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Walnut media with liquid car polish if I care to make them shine.

Crash
11-06-2010, 09:12 AM
I use corn cob media first and then use crushed walnut media with some Nu finish added. I buy the media from the pet store at half the cost of the local reloading store. The only thing I learned is to watch the size of the corn cob media as some of it is bigger than the reloading type and it can get stuck inside the casings.

O.S.O.K.
11-06-2010, 04:31 PM
If you have a tumbler - not a vibratory cleaner, then I would suggest giving ceramic spheres a shot. They can be washed to clean them up and will last for ever. They can be used with products like flitz too.

I use them in my vibratory M3 but I can't put that much brass in at one time - but a tumbler does not have that problem.

I got it here: http://www.rhodesmktg.com/products/ceramicmedia/ceramicmedia.html

You can choose another shape if you like - the media comes in all kinds of shapes and sizes. IIRC mine is 2mm diameter.

abpt1
11-06-2010, 07:26 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-fine-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92155.html

GunBum
11-13-2010, 06:33 PM
I prefer walnut. I get mine in 25# bags from the pet store for less than $20. It is sold as reptile bedding. I also have a 25# bag of corn cob from the pet store too.