PDA

View Full Version : Old school oiling of a new sling.

L1A1Rocker
11-07-2010, 02:26 PM
I was over at Remeys the other day and we began talking about slings and how to oil them. I said Neatsfoot oil - there really is no other. I should have kept my mouth shut cause he asks me if I have any, "Sure" I replied which he followed by tossing me a brand new old GI style sling. Yep, should have kept my mouth shut.

Anyhow, Neatsfoot oil is what has been used for oiling leather for a VERY long time. Unfortunatly in our new fangled society it has been replaced by what seems to be an infinite number of leather products - all promising to do exactly what the old Neatsfoot oil does. These days it is exceptionally hard to find plain ol Neatsfoot oil.

You would think that Ace, tractor supply, or a saddle shop would have it. No such luck - they have Neatsfoot spirits but not oil. And yes there is a huge difference. Neatsfoot Spirits is cut with turpentine. If you decide to go old school and try Neatsfoot oil do NOT get anything that says Neatsfoot ________. You want 100% oil and nothing else.

The only place to find it that I know of is at Academy. You will not find it in sporting goods (even though it used to be used on baseball gloves), or the guns department. Oh, and don't bother asking the people that work there for it either - you get strange looks followed by "What's that?" You CAN find it in the shoe department though. Look on the isle endcap that contains all the shoe care products and you'll see this.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j154/L1A1Rocker/HPIM1222.jpg

So, here is the sling that Remey wanted treated.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j154/L1A1Rocker/HPIM1221.jpg

Before you go hog wild slathering on the oil do a test patch. You want to make sure that the leather has not been treated with anything that will inhibit the oil from obsorbing and creating funny splotches.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j154/L1A1Rocker/HPIM1223.jpg

When doing this I find it is easiest to do a section at a time of about 12 to 18 inches long. Be very liberal (sic) with the oil and let the leather absorb all it can. Do a single coat front, back, and sides and move on to the next section. Be sure to get the oil into all the loops, nooks and crannies. After completing the first coat go back to the beginning and do a second coat. Your ling should come out like this.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j154/L1A1Rocker/HPIM1224.jpg

Let it sit overnight and the next day check it - You will most likely need to apply another light coat.

And there it is. Old school oiling of a sling.

O.S.O.K.
11-07-2010, 04:50 PM
I use olive oil. It works very well, is cheap and does not mold.

Learned this from an old cas friend who did leatherwork.

If you can't find the neatsfoot, try olive.

L1A1Rocker
11-07-2010, 04:52 PM
I use olive oil. It works very well, is cheap and does not mold.

Learned this from an old cas friend who did leatherwork.

Olive oil??? Interesting. Does it darken the leather? Also, does the straining level have any bearing on it? I would assume that youd want a very refined grade of olive oil.

remy1492
11-07-2010, 06:45 PM
IT looks and feels great. smells neat too :)

O.S.O.K.
11-07-2010, 09:14 PM
I use the cheap stuff - yes it darkens the leather but not as much apparantly as the neatsfoot. No odor to mention. Soaks in and drys and softens the leather a bit.

I put it on all new leather and also use it to clean the old stuff.

I used liquid saddle soap on some old slings and they frickin molded up on me! I thought that stuff would have prevented that - but not.

The olive oil has really worked great - use it on slings and holsters with equally good results.

Ppsh41
12-06-2010, 11:59 PM
I bought a gallon jug of Neatsfoot oil at a horse/livestock auction in the early 90's for I think $8.00. I finally used it all up, now I bring home CRC's "Tannery Vintage Leather Conditioner" that my place of emplyment makes. IMHO as good as neatsfoot oil and Budweiser uses it on the tack of the clydesdale team.