PDA

View Full Version : Needing some AR lower build help.

NewbieAKguy
11-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Well, with the help of a buddy and youtube, I finally installed my lower parts kit into the spike's tactical lower that I bought when they were on sale before the '08 elections. Not as hard as I thought it would be, but I have a couple issues I hope you guys can help me out with:

1. When I first tried to install the bolt release button I had to use some fine grit sandpaper on it to get it to fit and move freely. When I finally sanded it enough to fit and installed the pin to hold it in it is once again tight to where it won't move freely. My only guess at this time is that while tapping in the pin it didn't go in straight is now somehow off kilter causing the button to be pushed up against the "front" (towards magwell) of the slot? Do I back it out and try sanding more then reinstall?

2. The selector switch takes some more effort (at least to me) to work it back and forth. I take it this is just because it's brand new and just needs broken in?

Apologies if I'm just over-reacting, just that it's my first lower build ever and I'm paranoid about ruin stuff since I've never done this before.

Thanks for the help!

Schuetzenman
11-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Well in as much as it is a roll pin with no head on it I'd suggest this. Drive the roll pin just a tad bit more in the direction you were driving it. The pin should be sticking out the other side of the lugs a bit now. Take your roll pin punch and hammer and drive it back the opposite way a touch. This should center the bolt hold open catch in the slot between the lugs.

On the saftey selector rotating hard. Was it hard before you dropped the detent pin and spring system in the receiver to retain it or was it free moving. I've put 4 lowers together and if I recall there are two detent pins / plungers that look similar. If you mix them up it can be very hard to function the selector. I'd say (guessing a bit) that normal rotation pressure should be 1 to 3 lbs. of force to rotate the saftey selector.

NewbieAKguy
11-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Well in as much as it is a roll pin with no head on it I'd suggest this. Drive the roll pin just a tad bit more in the direction you were driving it. The pin should be sticking out the other side of the lugs a bit now. Take your roll pin punch and hammer and drive it back the opposite way a touch. This should center the bolt hold open catch in the slot between the lugs.

On the saftey selector rotating hard. Was it hard before you dropped the detent pin and spring system in the receiver to retain it or was it free moving. I've put 4 lowers together and if I recall there are two detent pins / plungers that look similar. If you mix them up it can be very hard to function the selector. I'd say (guessing a bit) that normal rotation pressure should be 1 to 3 lbs. of force to rotate the saftey selector.

Again S-man, thanks for the help. I'll give those two tips a try my next days off. You're def. correct on two of the pins looking similar, so I'll switch them around and see how it goes.