PDA

View Full Version : Identity Crisis

Infidelski
11-08-2010, 02:36 PM
While cleaning out the closet this weekend I ran across a 4-pack of these mags... Clearly I marked the plastic wrap years ago when purchased with "30rnd / .223" in ballpoint pen and sticker says Made in Germany. Looking back I believe they were bought to use with a Vepr rifle or a SAR3 but don't know anything else about them... I broke down today and opened them in order to identify.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l552/Infidelski/th_IMG_0610.jpg?t=1289244144

HELP

Thanks in advance

Richard Simmons
11-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Wenger mags?

AKTexas
11-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Wiegers,I got it right the first damn time!

Richard Simmons
11-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Actually it's Weiger mags not Wenger

Infidelski
11-08-2010, 02:43 PM
I keep hearing about them but know nothing about Wiegers... ;)

4 mags: Packaged in clear plastic baggie, all wrapped in brown paper with little brown wax paper spacers...

imanaknut
11-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Actually infidelski got and spelled it right. They are Wieger mags named such for the city they were made in, WIEsa GERmany.

The Wieger mags were originally made for the STG 940 rifle system. When the Romanians wanted to enter NATO they designed the SAR-3 to use that mag to allow them to say they had a common caliber and magazine with an existing rifle.

So yes, you have some nice Wieger mags that are used by the SAR-3.

And as of late, pretty hard to come by for some reason.

Infidelski
11-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the info, aknut thats a very intersting NATO story. From what I've seen here on the boards is that the Wieger mags are good stuff but I'm down to one .223 Vepr and of course NOPE they do not fit, not even close. I was a little confused because there are no other marks on the mags or at least I have not seen anything that stands out on them. My guess is they were purchased 8 years ago before the Sar3 was sold. Well DAMN! Thanks again for the info.

Bluedog
11-10-2010, 12:45 AM
The Wieger Rifle was designed for India. I'm not sure why, but quite a few were made before the Indian millitary rejected it in favor of the Insas rifle.

imanaknut
11-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the info, aknut thats a very intersting NATO story. From what I've seen here on the boards is that the Wieger mags are good stuff but I'm down to one .223 Vepr and of course NOPE they do not fit, not even close. I was a little confused because there are no other marks on the mags or at least I have not seen anything that stands out on them. My guess is they were purchased 8 years ago before the Sar3 was sold. Well DAMN! Thanks again for the info.

Actually there is a major difference between the .223/5.56x45 Wieger mag. Look at the floor plate. As far as I know they are the only ones made that have two distinct round pushbuttons for releasing the floorplate.

Infidelski
11-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Yep! Two floor plate tits... :wow: I mean Colleen Thomas's... No no I mean Buttons.

At this point and no longer interested in another sar3. It looks like some measurements need to be taken but its likely there is enough meat on the mag to trim down for use with the vepr.223