PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal USA SSR-AKMS question

magster
11-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Hello all,

I have an Arsenal USA SSR-AKMS that I would like find some info on. I know that the model is no longer made, but that is about it.

I also cannot find any current values on this AK.

Any info on this AK would be greatly appreciated.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/cfd33/017-1.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/cfd33/016-2.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/cfd33/015-1.jpg

Oh, and I did not put the rails on the AK, I received it that way.

imanaknut
11-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Welcome to the group and your continued search into trying to find more about what you have.

Arsenal USA unfortunately has a reputation for making many short runs of different styles of AKs. Om their AKMs (stamped receivers) prices usually run from about $600 for their basic fixed stock models to as high as about $1200 for the underfolders. Their milled AK variants usually start at $1000 and go up depending on how many they made.

About the best I can help you with at this time would be to tell you to contact Arsenal and see if they can tell you when the rifle was made, if they know how many were made, and what the MSRP was.

MOP
11-09-2010, 02:39 AM
magster,

you might want to post this in General Firearms.

It is possible that you have a Hungarian AKMS rifle.

Arsenal USA changed to Armory USA/Global Trades,

they are no longer in operation.

magster
11-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the welcome also, thank you for the info on my AK.

imanaknut or MOP, do you guys think that armory usa will have any info on this rifle?

Also, would there be any other tell tale markings to look for that might shed some light on the AK?

MOP, I'll go ahead and post in the General Firearms section and see if anyone else can come up with something.

Thanks again for the replies.

Blacksmith
11-09-2010, 03:23 PM
It is possible that you have a Hungarian AKMS rifle.

I doubt it is Hungarian. There was only 700 AMMS’s imported. As far as I know, all those went directly to collectors as kits. I guess it could be possible, but not probable.

imanaknut
11-09-2010, 05:54 PM
The next thing then would be to fill in the blank:

The rifle is marked "Made in _______ ".

Blacksmith
11-09-2010, 06:23 PM
The next thing then would be to fill in the blank:

The rifle is marked "Made in _______ ".

My guess is Polish.
It’s just too bad the original hand guard was replaced. With the amount of US made parts I can see in the picture, it may even retain the original polish barrel and piston.

magster
11-09-2010, 10:44 PM
I looked all over the rifle and cannot find where it states where the rifle was made.

It’s just too bad the original hand guard was replaced.

The sad thing was that I had the option to have the original parts when I traded for the rifle, but at the time wanted the cool looking rail.

I am in the process of trying to contact the guy to see if he might still have the original handguard and grip

imanaknut
11-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Suddenly "hellbent" for the original parts. ;)

Seriously if you can get them it would make the rifle worth more. "Tacticool" only applies to AR-15s. AKs don't need rails or lights, or lasers or ... to make them any cooler than they already are. :)

Also you can't buy replacement Arsenal parts just anywhere.

magster
11-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Well, I dont plan on selling the rifle. I would like to have it in its original state and just store it away.

I still have not shot the rifle and I have owned it for over a year now.

I did find this info on Arsenal AK's:

Armory USA, LLC produced a variety of AK-47/AKM/AK-74 semi-auto rifles. Early rifles used Bulgarian milled receivers, later versions were built using sheet metal receivers made in Hungary by FEG.
During 2004, Armory USA began production of 1.6 mm thick U.S. made AK receivers, which were sold as both receivers and complete rifles. Production of 1 mm thick receivers began in Jan. 2005. Models not listed here may have been assembled by other manufacturers using these receivers. During 2004, Armory USA began assembling rifles at a new factory in Kazanlak, Bulgaria. Some components were made in the U.S., in compliance with the BATFE.
Please refer to the Arsenal USA listing for pre-2004 manufactured/imported rifles.

But, it still doesnt tell me when mine was mfg. or whether I have a Hungarian receiver or an American receiver.

This is fun trying to find out though.

imanaknut
11-09-2010, 11:05 PM
You have that right, it is a lot of fun trying to find the history of a firearm. While there are many that have no really special history, some rifles like yours are an interesting side of a very poorly understood hobby.

Oh, and the reference to "hellbent" if I am not mistaken is the person you bought it from, or at least at one time owned it. ;)

magster
11-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Oh, and the reference to "hellbent" if I am not mistaken is the person you bought it from, or at least at one time owned it

I'll have to check into that. I cant remember the guy right off hand. I know that he was from Cali., but that is all that I remember.

Blacksmith
11-10-2010, 06:11 PM
I looked all over the rifle and cannot find where it states where the rifle was made.

If it is polish and you decide to restore it, it will look like the one on the bottom of the picture.
One thing that might tell you is the sling swivel on the Polish folding stock is 2 pieces. and the 3 spot welds on the right side of the folding stock will measure 3/4 inch on center of each other. The Hungarian has a 1 piece swivel and the welds are over an inch on center.

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af204/Blacksmith66/DSC02177.jpg

Blacksmith
11-10-2010, 08:55 PM
I took a second look at your pictures. I can’t see the welds. But I can see the 2 piece swivel.
that’s a Polish rifle.

magster
11-10-2010, 09:23 PM
I took a second look at your pictures. I can’t see the welds. But I can see the 2 piece swivel.
that’s a Polish rifle.

Thanks Blacksmith for the info. In your opinion, who made the better AK; the Hungarians or the Polish?

Blacksmith
11-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks Blacksmith for the info. In your opinion, who made the better AK; the Hungarians or the Polish?
They are both great rifles. The Polish seems to be better quality and the furniture looks great. but the Hungarian AMMS has more value just because it is so rare.
as far as going to the range goes, I prefer the Polish.

If yours is one with the 1.5mm receiver, It is definitely one to hang on too. The 1mm receiver is not bad but a heavier receiver will improve the accuracy.

magster
11-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Hazmat on the other thread mentioned that he saw a light color spot on the rear of the gas block that leads him to believe that it could be a Romanian "G" parts kit was used. Also, MOP on the other thread mentioned that he owns 2 of the Arsenals that used a blend of the Polish and Romanian parts.

Should I try to link the two threads?

magster
11-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Oh, by the way, how can you tell the difference between the 1.5 and 1 mm receivers? are there distinctive marks?

Blacksmith
11-10-2010, 10:33 PM
It is possible that they used a Romy front end and a Polish back. If that’s the case, take a look at the front of the front sight. If it is smooth, than it’s Polish. If it has a channel (lightning cut) down the entire face, than it is a Romy.
As for the receiver thickness, you almost need another AKM to compare it too. The only other option would be to measure it with calipers.

Blacksmith
11-10-2010, 10:35 PM
That should have read “Look at the front sight base” not “front sight”

MOP
11-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Magster...the A-USA 1.5mm receiver has thin+elongated dimple, their 1.0mm receiver has a chubby dimple. My 2 ASD made rifles have the thin dimple. My Polish has the chubby dimple, as well as my Romanian...btw, how does it shoot ?

Blacksmith...you have a very nice collection there.
You must have paid a small fortune for the 1 in the middle.

Blacksmith
11-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Blacksmith...you have a very nice collection there.
You must have paid a small fortune for the 1 in the middle.
Thanks.
I assembled them myself on NDS receivers. I probably have about $500.00 in parts + my time in that one.
I’m hoping to run into one of the Romanian under folder kits. so I can complete the collection.

Blacksmith
11-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks.
I assembled them myself on NDS receivers.

Except the Polish. I assembled it on a Ewbank receiver.

(Damn missing edit button)

magster
11-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Here is the link to the other thread. I posted additional pics there.

http://http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?4327-Arsenal-USA-SSR-AKMS&p=60845&posted=1#post60845

magster
11-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Why dont we have an edit button?

Anyway, I hope this link works:

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?4327-Arsenal-USA-SSR-AKMS&p=60845&posted=1#post60845

Blacksmith
11-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Why dont we have an edit button?

Anyway, I hope this link works:

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?4327-Arsenal-USA-SSR-AKMS&p=60845&posted=1#post60845

The link works fine.
The Staff took the edit button down because a few members where abusing it. I hope he gets it back up soon. It never seems to fail that I have something to add or correct.

insider
09-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Wow, you don't see an Arsenal under folder very often, that's a nice AK!